Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 05:48 PM   #1
SkyeCrath
AF Newbie

Need some cheap "temporary" tires to safely last me for 2-3 months

Here's the deal, I'm getting rid of my current car in 2-3 months. Was hoping my current tires would last until then but they will not. Woke up this morning to a flat tire, and the roadside assistance that came to put on the spare said my tires are so bald they could blow at any moment and that I needed to drive immediately and very slowly to a mechanic to get all four tires replaced.

I priced tires at a bunch of different shops near me, and the cheapest which is Walmart is still $600 OTD for four new tires (with installation and taxes). And I really don't want to spend that when I'm only going to need the tires for 2-3 months. And my car isn't worth anything, I'll be lucky to get a couple hundred bucks for it from the junk yard. And I doubt the junk yard is going to care that I just spent $600 on new tires.

Does anyone have any advice as to where to get some super cheap tires to get me thru the next couple months? Is there such a thing as used tires? Where would you get used tires and who would install them? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Also, I did check into Uber and/or car rental for that time period, but it would definitely be more expensive than $600 for the tires. I live in a very touristy area with very high rates for those sorts of things.
SkyeCrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:38 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Need some cheap "temporary" tires to safely last me for 2-3 months

There are lots of places that sell used tires. In my local area there are no less than 15 places that sell used tires, and I'm not in a highly populated area.

Online is an option as well.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:53 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

I'm not sure what your typical commute is, but have you considered public transportation or a bicycle for those 2-3 months? Maybe see what a scrap yard will give you for your car and how that compares with the cost of public transportation for the needed time period. If what they'll give you is more than what public transportation would cost, you'll be money ahead versus buying even used tires, paying insurance, fuel costs, any other maintenance/surprises in that time, etc.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

All good advice above....seach for "used tires" in your area. Try this site, they advertise lowest prices. https://www.onlinetires.com/. Craigslist. FB marketplace.

Curious why you're getting rid of the car? If it's otherwise good to go, some new rubber s a good investment.

What size tires?
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels