Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
bTaryag
AF Newbie

3 Issues - One problem?

Hi all. I'm trying to figure out what this can be. Three symptoms started more or less the same time:

1. Car vibrates. Not the steering wheel, but the whole lower front end of the car has right-to-left vibrations, mainly at speeds up to 30 mph, mainly when accelerating, particularly bad when driving uphill.

2. When I go over a bump, sometimes there's a thump-like noise from the front right or front left of the car. This issue only exists when the car is cold, but once it's been driven for a while it doesn't happen.

3. When the car is stationary and I turn the wheel from side to side, I hear a clicking noise from under the car. (I sometimes think I also feel it from under my foot.) This only happens when the car is in drive, not in park or neutral. Like issue #2, this issue only exists when the car is cold.

Any thoughts What could this be? Is this one problem or a few separate ones?

Thanks for any help!
bTaryag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 3 Issues - One problem?

post back year make and model, for help.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
bTaryag
AF Newbie

Thanks. It's a 2008 Ford Focus.
bTaryag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

The entire ft suspension and steering needs to be carefully checked by a qualified tech.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

I agree with Maxwedge above, get this checked out by a professional. From the description it's difficult to tell if you likely have two issues or a single issue causing all three symptoms. Issue 2, as described, sound like it could be either an anti-sway bar end link that's bad or worn anti-sway bar bushings. Of course it could also be a loose ball joint, broken spring, bad strut plate, etc.

For issue 1 it's difficult to determine from the description and without witnessing the vibration if this is a tire/wheel/suspension issue or a misfire from the fuel or ignition system. An experienced technician should be able to identify if it's a misfire.

And for issue 3, again, from the description and without witnessing in person, it's tough to determine if this is also due to a misfire or if it's something in the suspension. Since it only does this when the car is in drive, I'm leaning more toward a misfire (engine is loaded in drive more than in park or neutral).

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical