Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
Rear Suspension (calling All2kool)

I'm looking to increase my rear suspension ride height by atleast 1 full inch (preferably by 1.5 inches) over the rear tires.

I currently have the bottom of the barrel base front and rear springs. After installing new wheels and tires it came to my attention how painfully low my rear end sags with no weight in it even. I figure it's partially due to age, but also partially because they are just weak springs. My driver side fender is also dangerously close to my right tire sidewall when loaded (less than an inch above). This is because I have 2" wheel adapters on my rear wheels and my driver side was damaged a few years ago and the body shop did not work the fender lip out far enough leaving it too close to the wheel.

I was considering police springs because they ride about 1-2" higher than the civilian springs and have a stiffer spring rate (160lbs/in vs. 130lbs/in). Upon looking up the prices at the local and online dealers, they are over $80 a piece.

Are there any quality after market coils that are worth looking into? Like I said I am looking to raise the rear end by atleast 1 full inch over the wheels AND I would like a stiffer spring rate. I looked at MOOG but they are all variable spring rate and not sure how those would work.

Or should I get an Airlift 1000 kit? The Airlift 1000 kit are two airbags that I put in between the coils, blow them up with air through a tire-like valve stem and they will increase spring rate from the added pressure, but not sure about the ride height situation.

I am open to ideas and some direction here. After driving 3 other friends tonight to dinner and getting out and seeing that fender lip so very close to my tire and just being so low in general, I want to get this done ASAP.

P.S. I know this is the Town Car forum and this is not for a Town Car. But I know All2kool has alot of input on these matters and I would like to hear something from him. This is on a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis which shares the same platform as the Town Car.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
Re: Rear Suspension (calling All2kool)

Hello Blue)(Fusion,

I have no experience on springs but I've read some good reviews from other people who uses the variable rate springs on their TC's (I know you'll be installing them on another car) and they say the ride quality can be "compared" to the OEM air springs.

About the airlift kit, I've seen those installed mostly on minivans and they do help with the sagging backside, the normal riding height can be nearly restored with these...

Jut my two cents!

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue)(Fusion View Post
I'm looking to increase my rear suspension ride height by atleast 1 full inch (preferably by 1.5 inches) over the rear tires.

I currently have the bottom of the barrel base front and rear springs. After installing new wheels and tires it came to my attention how painfully low my rear end sags with no weight in it even. I figure it's partially due to age, but also partially because they are just weak springs. My driver side fender is also dangerously close to my right tire sidewall when loaded (less than an inch above). This is because I have 2" wheel adapters on my rear wheels and my driver side was damaged a few years ago and the body shop did not work the fender lip out far enough leaving it too close to the wheel.

I was considering police springs because they ride about 1-2" higher than the civilian springs and have a stiffer spring rate (160lbs/in vs. 130lbs/in). Upon looking up the prices at the local and online dealers, they are over $80 a piece.

Are there any quality after market coils that are worth looking into? Like I said I am looking to raise the rear end by atleast 1 full inch over the wheels AND I would like a stiffer spring rate. I looked at MOOG but they are all variable spring rate and not sure how those would work.

Or should I get an Airlift 1000 kit? The Airlift 1000 kit are two airbags that I put in between the coils, blow them up with air through a tire-like valve stem and they will increase spring rate from the added pressure, but not sure about the ride height situation.

I am open to ideas and some direction here. After driving 3 other friends tonight to dinner and getting out and seeing that fender lip so very close to my tire and just being so low in general, I want to get this done ASAP.

P.S. I know this is the Town Car forum and this is not for a Town Car. But I know All2kool has alot of input on these matters and I would like to hear something from him. This is on a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis which shares the same platform as the Town Car.
Use Moog or Duralast Variable Rate Coil Springs. Then replace the standard Shock Absorbers with some adjustable Monroe Air Shocks. Using Variable Rate Coil Springs will still provide that 'floating on air' feeling'. Using a stiffer spring from a CVPI isn't going to give that same ride quality.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Will the Moog variable rate springs still lift the rear about an inch when empty over stock and keep it from sagging under load?

> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Will the Moog variable rate springs still lift the rear about an inch when empty over stock and keep it from sagging under load?
I wouldn't think so which is why you'll need an aftermarket lift kit or adjustable Air Shocks. You would actually need Coil Springs that were taller than standard to achieve a lifting effect, which, by the way, will look ridiculious. The 'ass in the air' look died with the 70's.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

I'm not trying to get it real high. I want a little bit of a raked look but not huge. When parked next to CVPIs I see they're rear end stick up quite a bit more. At the bumper, probably a good 3-4 inches more than mine.

I don't want to go higher than what the CVPI rear end sits. The added clearance would be greatly beneficial to me and the look won't be bad either.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Here is an example of what mine looks like (mine is covered in ice outside and don't want to trek outside just yet).

Notice how the rear tire is very deep in the wheel well because of the old and weak stock civilian coils.

This is how I want it to look.

I know the picture is taken from a lower angle but the wheel fender is raised about 1.5 additional inches over the tire to give it a better looking stance and provide better clearance over the ground.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Here is an example of what mine looks like (mine is covered in ice outside and don't want to trek outside just yet).

Notice how the rear tire is very deep in the wheel well because of the old and weak stock civilian coils.

This is how I want it to look.

I know the picture is taken from a lower angle but the wheel fender is raised about 1.5 additional inches over the tire to give it a better looking stance and provide better clearance over the ground.
Methinks those are just smaller tires...
Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

I spoke with the owner of that car. Those are the same wheels and tires, just cleaned up. He put on HAP (H code) police springs which are the highest riding (but not the stiffest) factory police springs offered by FoMoCo. I'd get these, but they are $100+ a piece now that they are discontinuing the platform versus the $40 they used to be. The only cheap coils still offered by Ford are those for the CNG powered police interceptors which are the tall and very stiff which I do not want to use with my stock front suspension. I can imagine the ride would be extremely unpleasant and oversteer like crazy unless I kept 300 pounds of tools in the trunk at all times. For fuel efficiency purposes, I do not want to do that, either.

I would get the HAP coils if necessary which are constant rate but I would prefer to save a little money if there is an alternative. I looked at the Moog offerings and I do not see any ride height data, or which ones are for police use and which are for civilian use. The police coil ride height should be about 1 inch taller and slightly stiffer than civilian.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Check this link, it says the installed height is 11.5" I don't know if that info helps:

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC865-Var...2000&carId=001

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
I spoke with the owner of that car. Those are the same wheels and tires, just cleaned up. He put on HAP (H code) police springs which are the highest riding (but not the stiffest) factory police springs offered by FoMoCo. I'd get these, but they are $100+ a piece now that they are discontinuing the platform versus the $40 they used to be. The only cheap coils still offered by Ford are those for the CNG powered police interceptors which are the tall and very stiff which I do not want to use with my stock front suspension. I can imagine the ride would be extremely unpleasant and oversteer like crazy unless I kept 300 pounds of tools in the trunk at all times. For fuel efficiency purposes, I do not want to do that, either.

I would get the HAP coils if necessary which are constant rate but I would prefer to save a little money if there is an alternative. I looked at the Moog offerings and I do not see any ride height data, or which ones are for police use and which are for civilian use. The police coil ride height should be about 1 inch taller and slightly stiffer than civilian.
Go to a U-Pull-It for CVPI Coils.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Since it's cold as...well it's just cold out (<20F) I am not going to the junkyard again until the Spring.

I researched the different Mood offerings and they don't offer taller ride heights. I like the idea of variable rate springs since I don't carry passengers or junk in the trunk often and don't want it overly stiff. And the new Ford offerings are just too expensive for now to justify.

I ordered the Airlift 1000 air levelling kit after reading positive reviews on websites ranging from performance Mustangs to off road 4x4s who needed extra coil lift/rate.

It will be available for pickup on Tuesday and I will report back with some before and after pictures, a quick install synopsis and the ride/handling characteristics. Since the pressure can be varied with a tire air compressor it might be a good alternative for those that replace their failed air suspension to coils and need a little added height or load capacity on the cheap. They are rated for an extra 1,000 pounds of load capacity at 35psi and can be varied from 0 to 35 psi for height and stiffness adjustments.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Since it's cold as...well it's just cold out (<20F) I am not going to the junkyard again until the Spring.

I researched the different Mood offerings and they don't offer taller ride heights. I like the idea of variable rate springs since I don't carry passengers or junk in the trunk often and don't want it overly stiff. And the new Ford offerings are just too expensive for now to justify.

I ordered the Airlift 1000 air levelling kit after reading positive reviews on websites ranging from performance Mustangs to off road 4x4s who needed extra coil lift/rate.

It will be available for pickup on Tuesday and I will report back with some before and after pictures, a quick install synopsis and the ride/handling characteristics. Since the pressure can be varied with a tire air compressor it might be a good alternative for those that replace their failed air suspension to coils and need a little added height or load capacity on the cheap. They are rated for an extra 1,000 pounds of load capacity at 35psi and can be varied from 0 to 35 psi for height and stiffness adjustments.
The MOOG or Duralast Variable Rate Coil Springs will provide a smooth ride regardless of weight in the trunk or number of passengers. On my LTC's, I've carried 4 passengers and more than 200 pounds of luggage without issue; it's my job, I operate a Town Car Service and none of my cars will ever be equipped with the failure prone Air Spring system.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
The MOOG or Duralast Variable Rate Coil Springs will provide a smooth ride regardless of weight in the trunk or number of passengers. On my LTC's, I've carried 4 passengers and more than 200 pounds of luggage without issue; it's my job, I operate a Town Car Service and none of my cars will ever be equipped with the failure prone Air Spring system.
Oh I agree with you that it will be a smooth ride empty or full by design. But I just need something that rides a little higher and stiffer than stock and those Moog options.

My driver side was hit by a (assumingly) drunk driver one night in the parking lot. The body shop didn't pull the fender lip over that wheel out enough. And now that I have new wheels and tires put on with an offset different than factory, the tires are dangerously close to that fender when unloaded. When compressed with 4 people in the car, I can't fit my index finger between the lip and the tire. I never noticed it until I put on these wheels.

Below is a picture of how the fender lip is bent in enough to be unnervingly close to the tire sidewall. This is with no weight in the trunk, not even a spare. With a full sized spare, it comes down another 1/2". That's how weak these factory springs are.

The other side has about 1/2" clearance between the tire sidewall and the fender lip when fully compressed. I intend to get this fixed eventually, but with no body work knowledge I am resorting to keeping the suspension from compressing enough to cause any problems. So far there has been no contact and I intend to keep it that way.

Also note that the Airlift kit I am getting is not a replacement for the coils, just an "assist" air bag. They fit inside of the coil springs, you pump them up with air and the help raise the ride height and stiffness which is what I am looking for. Since it's adjustable by just varying the air pressure, I figure it's a great alternative to having to decide between different spring stiffness options. Of course it's not automated like the factory air ride option, but it's also only $85 and there was a $25 rebate with it, so for $60 I am willing to give it a shot. If it does not meet my expectations or needs then the Moog springs will likely be my next choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-11-26_13-07-09_71.jpg (86.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Oh I agree with you that it will be a smooth ride empty or full by design. But I just need something that rides a little higher and stiffer than stock and those Moog options.

My driver side was hit by a (assumingly) drunk driver one night in the parking lot. The body shop didn't pull the fender lip over that wheel out enough. And now that I have new wheels and tires put on with an offset different than factory, the tires are dangerously close to that fender when unloaded. When compressed with 4 people in the car, I can't fit my index finger between the lip and the tire. I never noticed it until I put on these wheels.

Below is a picture of how the fender lip is bent in enough to be unnervingly close to the tire sidewall. This is with no weight in the trunk, not even a spare. With a full sized spare, it comes down another 1/2". That's how weak these factory springs are.

The other side has about 1/2" clearance between the tire sidewall and the fender lip when fully compressed. I intend to get this fixed eventually, but with no body work knowledge I am resorting to keeping the suspension from compressing enough to cause any problems. So far there has been no contact and I intend to keep it that way.

Also note that the Airlift kit I am getting is not a replacement for the coils, just an "assist" air bag. They fit inside of the coil springs, you pump them up with air and the help raise the ride height and stiffness which is what I am looking for. Since it's adjustable by just varying the air pressure, I figure it's a great alternative to having to decide between different spring stiffness options. Of course it's not automated like the factory air ride option, but it's also only $85 and there was a $25 rebate with it, so for $60 I am willing to give it a shot. If it does not meet my expectations or needs then the Moog springs will likely be my next choice.
When my rear dropped one day (thankfully not loaded with a client and luggage) I replaced the Air Springs that day with Duralast Variable Rate Coil Springs from my local auto parts store. They were only $80 at the time. I then sold (on EBay) the Firestone Air Springs and the Air Compressor for $60; disclosing fully to the buyer that I did not know which of the three items he was buying was defective although I suspected a leak in a Air Spring because the Compressor sounded fine. I never heard back from him so he must have been a happy camper.

Cost to repair: $20 and 60 minutes of my time.