Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
Ydhtbiotsao
AF Newbie

What if i drive it now?

RECALL NOT DONE RIGHT! WHAT IF I DRIVE IT NOW? AM I LIABLE FOR DAMAGE?
Tried to post this in coffee break completely off topic, but didn't seem to post. Got a message it was not secure and lost it all. So I write it again from the beginning.

I called about having a recall done. The guy told me they would need to have someone come up from the big city and they tried to schedule it for several days in the future. I said I'd have to discuss it with my wife and would call back.

The next day or so, I called to get the recall service scheduled. Probably the same person said (this time) they could get it in right away - we would not have to wait a long time! I was confused and asked if they needed someone to come up from the big city. He said no, they could do it themselves. So I took it in and had it serviced for the recall.

After I left with the car from the dealer, I went to pick up my wife at the mall and drove her home. On the way I thought I noticed a nearly imperceptible shudder from the engine. It was like one little bump or misfire. But I imagined it was my imagination. A some days I noticed the exact same thing, just a little more pronounced. Then it started happening more and it seemed like it was when I was at busy intersections and needed the power to get going - accelerate. My mind immediately went to someone with the ability to EMP it. (I've had a lot of computer viruses, so I'm in the habit of dealing with malicious people.) I told some people about it and my thoughts and strangely it stopped happening for quite some time. Then my mind went to thinking that the car's computer (which I don't even really know if they have a real computer) was still making adjustments after the recall. However, just a couple of days ago, after I took my wife to the doctor and going up a very gentle incline, the car began to shudder like never before. I had to pull over to let traffic by. A white car right behind me seems reluctant, but finally had to pass me because there was such a long line behind me.

So that day I called the dealer to schedule the car in for service. I told the service guy that I thought it was related to the recall. He seemed to act like he didn't believe me. But I tried to explain and I really think he seemed annoyed. But he seemed to say (reluctantly) that if the diagnostic showed the problem was related to the recall, I would not have to pay. I was nice, just asking questions that he seemed reluctant to answer, but I wanted to know because of the costs!

But then he scheduled the diagnostic for 23 days from today!

Why so long? Seems strange. It makes me wonder if they hope I drive it so they can blame me for driving. I mean if they botched the recall or damaged something while doing the recall, I guess they would have to work to fix everything on their own - with no pay from me. If I don't drive it, there is probably a better chance they can't blame me!

So I guess we should not drive the car for 23 days? So thinking about that, it even makes me realize, maybe it would be foolish to drive the car to the dealership. I even wonder if I should have the car towed to the dealership!

Now, I just don't know. Am I on their list now? Do they know I'm onto them? Could they have damaged something else during the recall service? Am I blacklisted? I don't know as I can trust them. I get it that they might not trust me. Ouch!

So here is my question. COULD I TAKE IT TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP - SAY FORD OR HONDA, OR DODGE, ETC., AND HAVE THEM DO THE DIAGNOSTIC. It would cost me, but I guess I'd have more trust in the result - I would trust them more if they should say the shuddering is not related to the work Hyundai did on the recall.

Oh - forgot to say above. Hyundai would have us pay $140 for the diagnostic. I asked if any of that goes toward the repair. He said no. I replied, "Wow! that's expensive." I didn't say it in a mean way, just honestly.

But I found out that another Hyundai dealership that is like thousands of miles away, only charges $95 and they think the 95 is applied to any work on the repair.
Ydhtbiotsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:45 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: What if i drive it now?

Welcome to the forum!

You don't mention the year or model of you Hyundai. That information, along with the engine your car has would be useful. Also, what was the recall for? The symptoms you describe sound very similar to a misfire so it should be relatively easy to determine if the recall might be related or would be very unlikely to be related.

Also, many of the chain auto parts stores can pull pending and active diagnostic codes at no charge, so that is another option for you versus paying a dealership or shop to pull diagnostic codes.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #3
Ydhtbiotsao
AF Newbie

Still working on the recall. There's been a few and two of them happened recently. But it's a 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
I don't know why it should be so hard to figure out exactly what the last recall was. It seems they have a record for recalls until the recall is fixed. Then it seems there is no record???
Old 07-28-2023, 06:39 AM   #4
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

What is the recall for?
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:03 PM   #5
Ydhtbiotsao
AF Newbie

The recall was for Engine Monitoring Logic. It was done on May 10th, 2023. We took it back 3 times. Each time we told them it didn't drive right - was clunky, vibrating. We used to love that car - was a pleasure to drive - smooth, quiet.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:46 PM   #6
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

It may be that after the update it needs to learn.

It may be that the wrong update was applied or something is wrong.

For myself, I'd try a different dealer.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts