Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 PM   #16
ck291
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Defective Parking Brake

My 2000 Chevy Silverado recently failed inspection due to a defective parking brake. Since my truck has over 115,000 the dealership would not even consider doing this for free. I am trying to recoup the money spent but I doubt GM will budge. Heck, cost me more for the labor than the parts! And, the dealership even said that the problem could happen again...good old GM...I believe I will try Ford next time. (After I contacted GM directly about reimbursement, they acted as though they had never heard of this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
ck291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:11 PM   #17
spaul100
AF Newbie

Re: Defective Parking Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck291
My 2000 Chevy Silverado recently failed inspection due to a defective parking brake. Since my truck has over 115,000 the dealership would not even consider doing this for free. I am trying to recoup the money spent but I doubt GM will budge. Heck, cost me more for the labor than the parts! And, the dealership even said that the problem could happen again...good old GM...I believe I will try Ford next time. (After I contacted GM directly about reimbursement, they acted as though they had never heard of this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I agree, I needed the larger capacity ofthe Suburban and gave up a perfectly good Explorer. Where is Ralph Nader when we need him? He's out messing up perfectly worthless elections. GM is not my favorite auto builder for some time now. I don't know what I was thinking. My dealership looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about the parking brake issue. Funny thing, they are always out of parking brake shoes even at the 39.00 bucks they get. I order from gmpartsdirect.com, much cheaper.
spaul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #18
KLC
AF Newbie

Z-71 Rear Brakes

Just a quick note regarding my Chevy break problems.

I drive a 99 z-71 Silverado and my wife drives a 2000 Tahoe. Both experienced the “loose emergency break”. No problem since neither of is a big e-break user. Until you go to get the vehicle inspected and it does not pass.

The problem turns out that the shoes inside the drum remain in contact with the drum almost all of the time (poor design). Not only does it cause the pads to wear down quickly, it wore the drums down enough in BOTH vehicles that I had to replace the rear rotor/drum on both vehicles.

One year later, and 8 months after having my truck’s breaks checked for noise, I am heading back in for service for sever grinding, thus checking out the web for complaints, class actions, etc.

Some day I’ll get daring and go into ABS, transmission, dash lights, radios, electric window rails, tail gate straps, etc.

Have fun.
KLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #19
TWEEYES
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Z71 Emergency Brake not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstonemo
I have a 99 Silverado that I bought used with 24,000 miles and the parking brakes have never worked on mine. The adjuster on the cable is maxed out, but it never holds the truck. From what I have figured out, the parking brake shoes are bad and need to be replaced. There is a TSB from GM that has a revised part that needs to be changed when replacing the parking brake shoe.

Try looking up TSB #02-05-26-002A
YOU HAVE AN ADJUSTING SCREW UNDER THE DRUM ROTOR TAKE IT OFF AND RIGHT WHERE THE PARKING BRAKE SHOE MEETS TOGETHER IS A ADJUSTING NUT AND SCREW JUST SPIN IT OUT A LITTLE BIT NOT MUCH PUT YOUR PARKING BRAKE FOOT LEVER DOWN 4 CLICK AND ADJUST SCREW SLIDE ON AND OFF DRUM SNUG FIT THEN PUT IT BACK TOGETHER DO BOTH REAR WHEELS
TWEEYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #20
mfdmike
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: 2000 Z71 Emergency Brake not working

All concerned, I have a 2000 chev silverado 1500 extra cab and I have been struggling with my E-brake for about 4 years. I have had all the problems that I have seen in this post. I finally took my truck to the garage and had them tear apart and inspect the entire E-brake system and this is what was discovered.
GM/Chev used an aluminum made e-brake assembly which is mounted to the hub and sits inboard to what I believe is the backing plate. There is a steel actuator arm that pushes apart the pin and barrels inside the aluminum e-brake assembly, that over time the steel actuator wears away at the aluminum and causes the whole thing to fail. I am not a mechanic so please bear with me.. I am not sure what the part is called but it sits under the brake plate cover which is available at some online stores. However, I have trying to figure out what this worn part is called and what the part number is. There is a number stamped on it "K361-D8502C" but I have found no cross references to it. This "e-brake assy", does anyone know what the part number is and where to get them??
mfdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #21
lluedecke
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Silverado z71 and e-brake went out around 60,000 miles. I could here the metal grinding in the rear when driving, failed inspection shortly after. Cost me over $500 to replace e-brake shoes and replace the rear pads. Shop told me that they had seen this problem on chevy's and had a fix for it. I now have 104,000 miles and have not had a single problem with the new brakes since. I don't use the e-brake much, but I never used it much to begin with either. Called Chevy about problem and they didn't care. I have seen that they will fix this as a recall on trucks that have a manual transmission only.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #22
LovemyTahoebuthate
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Tahoe every year I have to open up the rear drums , free up the e brakes just to get an inspection sticker . gm should have recalled this design . The new car I just bought is not gm ... Stupid is as stupid ***
LovemyTahoebuthate is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado