Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
RobbyQ
AF Newbie

Leaving Army, Need Advice. PLEASE!!!!

I'm looking for some advice from people who have successfully made money from building cars.

I'm coming new to the auto industry, but not to mechanics. I'm currently in the Army right now as a AH-64 Attack Helicopter Mechanic/Crewcheif.

You see My wife and I are both in the army and we have a 7 month old son. When we found out they were going to deploy us to Iraq at the same time for 15 months, one of us got the option to get out with an honorable dischare and $40,000 of school grant money, to take care of our son... We decided I should do it since I have the mechanical experience and will be able to make money as a civilian.

My original plan was to go back to Phoenix, AZ. go to UTI and the Factory Five course at Mott Community College, and build and sell the factory five kit cars. after talking to my cousin (the owner of All Mustang Performance) he told me that the FF cars were to much of a hassle, but I still see it as a good idea. It seems the cars have a great turn around between the cost to build and the price they sell for. The FF school at MottCC says they'll teach you how to build one in 3 days, plus I'll be working out of my own home garage.

... So can anyone add to my or my cousins beliefs or give me advice on something else I should try to do instead? Just keep in mind my whole purpose of getting out of the army was to spend time with and take care of my son, and working for myself would be a great change of pace from what I'm used to.

Thanks for any input anyone might have, I hope I get some good advice and ideas from this.

Last edited by RobbyQ; 04-02-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: bad title
RobbyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Leaving Army, Need Advice. PLEASE!!!!

It's the RARE person who can realistically make money building cars to sell. The money is in working on other people's cars. Listen to your cousin. With his ownership and management experience in running an auto shop, if he thinks it's a bad idea, it probably is. There is no sense in you losing all your money to prove him right.

What about aircraft mechanics? Im thinking mostly of fixed wing craft. Pilots and private plane operators / owners around here say there is a real shortage of aircraft technicians, especially those who work on the smaller planes. And the few around here cost a bundle. They make much more money per hour than an auto mechanic.

I am sure you are tired of working on helicopters, but it makes sense to use the experience, no?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyQ
I'm looking for some advice from people who have successfully made money from building cars.

I'm coming new to the auto industry, but not to mechanics. I'm currently in the Army right now as a AH-64 Attack Helicopter Mechanic/Crewcheif.

If you have formal aviation engineering qualifications, then you will make a lot more money working in the aviation industry than you will fixing or building cars.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
RobbyQ
AF Newbie

aviation fields usually require 4 years of experience. (i have 2) plus you typically have to work long hours working on aircraft as well. seeing as how the whole purpose of getting out of the army was to spend time with and take care of my son, the kit car building and selling idea straight out of my own garage seems much more appealing to me.
RobbyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Kit cars are projects reguardless of how much like a lego set they are. Projects always require more time then originally projected. You also have to look at the liability factor as well. If something goes wrong can your coverage afford that.

Honestly your best bet is law enforcement. With a military background your already wayyy ahead of the game and will probably make a $ more then the average and move up rank faster.
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyQ
aviation fields usually require 4 years of experience. (i have 2) plus you typically have to work long hours working on aircraft as well. seeing as how the whole purpose of getting out of the army was to spend time with and take care of my son, the kit car building and selling idea straight out of my own garage seems much more appealing to me.

Ah, shame you couldn't have hung around for another 2 years.
Still family is far more important.

There are several problems with building kit cars:
1 - Most buyers want to build them themselves.
2- Those that don't want to build them themselves, want a turn key, works perfectly car. Something that will never happen with a kit car, no matter how well designed it is.
That leads to difficult customers, and all sorts of on going problems.
It is why the company that makes them wants to out source the building of turn key cars.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical