Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
submachine69
AF Newbie

91 charging problem

hey, i own a 91 dodge daytona iroc with a 2.5 and a 5speed trans, sadly no turbo, my problem is that it will not charge all the time. I have replace the battery and the alternator, and even tryed switching a computer into it, but it still will not charge, i use a school comeputer to find a fault coade saying the computer ground for the alternator is open or shorted, but when checking the wire it has continuity and i separated it from all other wires so it couldnt short to another, so i cannot seem to find out why it wont charge, could the computer be shorted out of two cars?
submachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
jOnZ89
AF Newbie

Re: 91 charging problem

I have the same problem with my 95 neon i replaced the alternator 2 times i went to 2 places to get one of the alternators charged 1 place said its good other says its bad so i got another and didnt bother to test it before i put it in and the car still wont charge so im going to take it out and get it tested by 2 places ... if its not the problem what could it be? any idea? someone told me it could be the wire going to the alternator to put a test light in the wire and turn the key not all the way just to see if it gets power if not replace the wire ...
jOnZ89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
submachine69
AF Newbie

hey i bought an old style regulator off of a 81 horizon, and put it in, theres a wire going to the computer, mines green, its a ground for the alternator wire cause the computer has a internal regulator that it controls the alternator with. so now car is charging but i have that as a backup, it works the same way the computer does it.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
jOnZ89
AF Newbie

Thats all you had to do for it to charge?
jOnZ89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
submachine69
AF Newbie

yeah its that simple, but make sure you ground the regulator to the body of the car by the back of the unit because if u dont it will full feild the alternator and too long like that wont be pretty. but yeah put the wire for the ground of the alternator to the top left of the regulator plug and put the bottom of the plug to a ground on the body and it should be good, the only problem i found with that is that it charges at the high end, up near 14.9 or so.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona