Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
decollect
AF Newbie

'90 2.5 litre, died and has no spark

Hello again, I have (I hope) an easy problem to diagnose. Here goes:
'90 Lumina with the 2.5 litre, with about 150k on the engine. (315k on car) Was running just fine on an errand the other day. Car took daughter to her destination, but when she went to leave, the car would not start. Cranks just fine.
I hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system when you turn the key on, so I'm assuming it's getting fuel. I pulled #'s 3 and 4 plug wire off (not at same time) to check spark. Nothing on either one. I think it's highly improbable that BOTH coil packs would crap out at same time. I was told that if it is getting fuel, then chances are it's NOT the ECM that sits on the fender.
Is there another electronic module that is between the ECM and the coil packs? Is there a way to test the crankshaft sensor to see if it is the culprit?
Lastly, besides listening for the fuel pump, is there an easy way to tell if it's getting fuel, since there's no carburetor to look down into?

Merry Christmas and thanks for any help.
decollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
chris13174
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to chris13174 Send a message via Yahoo to chris13174
Wouldn't promise this is your problem but....

It sounds like you have a bad Ignition Coil. If you have a a manual for the car (can be bought at Autozone for around $20) it will tell you how to tests the ignition coils using an ohm meter. However, you may very well have a bad Ignition Control Module. You can have the ICM tested at Autozone for free. Hope this helps you out.
chris13174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
decollect
AF Newbie

Re: Wouldn't promise this is your problem but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris13174
It sounds like you have a bad Ignition Coil. If you have a a manual for the car (can be bought at Autozone for around $20) it will tell you how to tests the ignition coils using an ohm meter. However, you may very well have a bad Ignition Control Module. You can have the ICM tested at Autozone for free. Hope this helps you out.
I'll give that a try, I do have a book, and a pretty good digital ohmmeter. I should-a looked a bit better at de book. thanks.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays
decollect is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina