Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-5
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
bwideb
AF Newbie

Question 1999 9-5 Wagon stalls

Although I have been perfectly happy with my Sabb 9-5 wagon since the day I bought it, I knew that I would have a few Saab stories as the mileage starts hitting over 60k. Well at 67k I am experiencing a problem and hope someone knows what is wrong and how to fix it. For the last 2 months my car stalls and I cannot usually start it right up. When I realize I have tried to restart to no avail, I have to let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then it starts right up. The car stalls under the following conditions:
1) when it hasn't warmed up enough and I come to a stop.
2) When it hasn't warmed up enough and I am moving slowly, and when it is in idle.

it's an automatic 4 cyl. and I could swear it has hesitation when changing gears during fast excelleration, with or without the sport mode on.

I have tried to clean the sparkplugs, and it helped a little. I don't know if it's an electronic problem, or fuel related. It idles at around 850 RPMs but feels a little rough at around 1000 rpms. If anyone has any answers for me, please let me know. Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1999 9-5 Wagon stalls

Can be the DI-casette.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
bwideb
AF Newbie

Do you know what to do? Is there a way to clean it, or do I need to replace it?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

If it's the DI-casette it must be replaced. A Saab-shop should have a "test unit" which they can replace yours with to see if it still got problems.

It is also very important that your car got the right NGK spark plugs and that they are in good condition.

A DI casette costs probably around 300 usd.

If it still got problems with other sparkplugs/DI casette you should let a shop do a diagnostic with Tech 2.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
gbeberman
AF Newbie

Question Ditto! Did you get it fixed?

I am experiencing a similar problem with my 9-5 Manual wagon. At low RPMs (like when idling or making slow turns), cold or warm, it stalls out.

At high RPMs, like highway driving, it hiccups or seizes momentarily--as if the gas or air flow stopps--and then continues. This rarely happens when it is cold. But, that could just be luck, as the engine is warm for most of the drive.

Did you fix yours? If so, do you know what did it?
gbeberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
bwideb
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Ditto! Did you get it fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeberman
I am experiencing a similar problem with my 9-5 Manual wagon. At low RPMs (like when idling or making slow turns), cold or warm, it stalls out.

At high RPMs, like highway driving, it hiccups or seizes momentarily--as if the gas or air flow stopps--and then continues. This rarely happens when it is cold. But, that could just be luck, as the engine is warm for most of the drive.

Did you fix yours? If so, do you know what did it?
To make a long story short.....YES! Now for the long story. I finally broke down and purchased an OBD II and performed the diagnostic testing which came up showing that it was a malfunctioning Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. So $40.00 later, and about 2 hrs worth of awkward contortionist stunts as well as a few bloodied knuckles, I managed to R&R the thing. How proud I was when I took off down the road with my Saab wagon purring like kitten again. Haven't had a problem since. I was aware that most of the problems we are going to experience are mostly going to be relays, sensors and switches. I'm going to check them first from now on. I hope you're able to remedy your Saab Story quickly and cheaply. Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
boomerbman
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Ditto! Did you get it fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwideb
To make a long story short.....YES! Now for the long story. I finally broke down and purchased an OBD II and performed the diagnostic testing which came up showing that it was a malfunctioning Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. So $40.00 later, and about 2 hrs worth of awkward contortionist stunts as well as a few bloodied knuckles, I managed to R&R the thing. How proud I was when I took off down the road with my Saab wagon purring like kitten again. Haven't had a problem since. I was aware that most of the problems we are going to experience are mostly going to be relays, sensors and switches. I'm going to check them first from now on. I hope you're able to remedy your Saab Story quickly and cheaply. Good Luck!

Hi bwideb- which brand ODB II did you get, and where? Did you also get a workshop manual? Haynes stopped making them for the newer model Saabs.

Thx
Boomer
boomerbman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-5