Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
rod2envy
AF Newbie

1998 Durango How to Improve Fuel economy

Hi,

I have a 1998 Durango SLT and Im looking to invest on some fuel economy enhancers... as you all know by now this trucks are awesome but they drink tons of gas. Im asking for some advise on what to get to get the best results... I will appreciate any help

Thanks

Damian
rod2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Smoke24
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Durango How to Improve Fuel economy

Mine has the 360 engine and was getting about 12 mpg. I installed a Jacobs electronic ignition, a K&N air filter system and switched it to Castrol synthetic oil and now get about 14 to 15 mpg. Don't know that the expense was worth the increase though.
I have always loved the way mine drives and handles compared to all the other SUV's but it does love gas. My son has the Eddie Bauer Explorer and it is aweful in comparison.
Smoke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
rod2envy
AF Newbie

Hi,

I have the 5.2 L SLT, how much did you pay for the electronic ignition? also have you or anyone else heard of the HELIX THROTTLE BODY SPACER apparently add on 5 MPG with this bolt on piece... check the website and give me some inputs... Im about to order one and try... any ideas...

http://www.performanceimprovements.h...com/Helix.html

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Smoke24
AF Newbie

It's been a long time but I think I paid $400 or so for it directly from Jacobs. It was one that they had used in some testing but still like new. I had to build my own bracket to mount it and the coil that came with it but it was still a pretty easy install. I think I paid about another $100 for the K&N filter kit.
I would love to find another 5+ mpg but don't know that it is possible without some major changes.
I have seen many devices like the throttle body spacer and don't think much of them. They started hitting the market way back in the mid 70's with the first oil crunch. I have doubts that any of them work very well if at all. What does it cost? I looked and saw no price listed for it. There is also the Vortex gadget that has been advertised on TV at times. I wouldn't think it would do much either.
What is your mileage with the 5.2L engine? Most I have heard of get 14 to 16 or so or not much different from my 5.9. My father in law has been buying Ford F150's with all the luxuries and has had a new one every year or two for his last 5 trucks. He never gets less than about 19 mpg with them. His 2004 has the 4.6L engine, is the full crew cab(4 door) and drives like a dream, has plenty of power and still gets 19 or better. When driving it, it almost feels like driving an 18 wheeler, it feels huge. I may even buy this one when he decides to trade again.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
rod2envy
AF Newbie

The throttle body spacer is selling for like 137$ but I bought of ebay for like 40$ plus shipping, just waiting on it to see if it works, I dont know if I want to pay 400$ for the ignition computer, any good chips out there worth buying... thanks for the reply!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #6
Smoke24
AF Newbie

Hope the spacer works for you. let me know for sure if it makes for any gas mileage. I have read of a few performance chips and some even help gas mileage a little bit but can't remember where I found them. Do a Google search and you should come up with some. You might look at www.truckperformance.com and see if they have any. I have bought a few parts from them including my K&N kit and was very happy with them.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
rod2envy
AF Newbie

Fuel Atomizer!

Hi,

I just got my space throttle but havent installed yet so I'll let you guys know what happens next week when I get to it..... also just tought I let you know I found this website with this item called the Fuel Atomizer apparently it increases the miles per galon for up to 50% but I spoke woth them and they said it averages at 40% which is still pretty good to me, thats like going from 12MPG to like 20MPG I can live with that

I ordered it and it should be here in about 2 weeks, when it gets here I'll post again to tell you if its good or not.... their website is pretty good you guys should check it out...

www.fuelconcepts.com

Damian
Old 03-16-2004, 02:01 AM   #8
Smoke24
AF Newbie

The vaporizer thing sounds quite interesting. It is pretty close to an idea I had back in the mid 70's when gas first went so high and was even hard to get at times. I never found the money or machinery I needed to build it but believe I could make any engine get close to 100 mpg or better. All I need is a few hundred dollars in materials and free access to a good well equipped machine shop. I have always thought it crazy to run any engine on raw liquid gasoline. It is so inefficient.
I am also still interested in any gains you might get with the other thing too.
I just got back from Savannah, GA driving my sons Explorer. At least it gets 18 mpg or a little better on the road and that was running about 80 or faster most of the way.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
rdugedug
AF Newbie

I do not mean to jump into the middle of your conversation, but, how did the fuel concepts device work??? I have an 03 R/T and I need to sqeeze out a few more miles to the gallon as well.

Thanks
rdugedug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #10
tommychau
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tommychau

I heard from other forums that those helix and similar spacers does not work on most 5.9's. On the 4.7's and maybe 5.2's there was just a very small improvement. Around 15-20 percent at best. It may have to do with the different type of intake manifolds that the 5.9 uses vs. 4.7's and 5.2's.
tommychau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
xs29l
AF Newbie

Hey guys, I did some research on the magnetic "Atomizer". As it turns out, they are only about half there, and they use very poor magnets. They clamp around your fuel line and are supposed to cause the fuel to expand faster when it comes into contact with the air. This might get you a 1% increase in milage. I read the testing of the original concept and things were a little different. Gas milage went up as much as 37% with all vehicles increasing at least 17%. Since this was in the 1980's, none of the vehicles were fuel injected, so who knows if it will work on newer vehicles. Here it is: You need a minimum of two large Neodymium (rare earth) magnets and four small ones. The two large ones go on your air intake and the four small ones go on your fuel lines. You HAVE TO find out which sides are positive and which are negative. Just attach the big ones to the inside of the air intake with small bolts and attach the small ones right to the fuel line. The trick is to cause the air coming in the go through a powerful positive charge, and the fuel to go through a powerful negative charge. Opposites attract and the fuel mixes better than before. I know it sounds crazy, but if anyone wants more info. just e-mail me at johnrandolph@earthlink.net I think I am at 19 MPG right now. I plan on cleaning out the cat. converter to pick up some more. ALSO, if I use regular fuel, I get 16 MPG. 3.15 gallons per 20 gallons are saved, so at $2 per gallon, I save a total of $2.30 on 20 gallons. If you try it with a full tank, you'll see what I mean. It's just so hard for people to give that extra 20 cents per gallon. Thanks!
xs29l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:38 AM   #12
rdugedug
AF Newbie

Where did you get the magnets and what was your gas mileage before you added them. I know there are may ways to increase mileage but like everyone else I am looking for the cheapest and most effective improvement. Do you know anyone who has put a K&N filter on? What about the K&N system that replaces the whole intake system??

I may have to belly up to the pump and try the premium gas for a tank or two.
rdugedug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:54 PM   #13
xs29l
AF Newbie

Well, I got my magnets through http://www.allelectronics.com/ This is one great site for the electronics buf. They have literally millions of surplus electronics items. I had a total of about $20 in the 6 magnets that I used. The two big ones were $5 each and the small ones were $1.25 each. Believe it or not, that is an awesome deal for these magnets considering that they are the most powerful permanent magnets on earth (rare earth). Those things are unbelievably tough! You will have a hard time drilling through them, but it is a MUST for the big ones because they will stick to everything. It looks like they are out of stock on the ones that I bought, but any nice sized ones will work (like CAT# MAG-78 for air intake). You can even get bigger ones on eBay, but be ready for a bigger price too. The fuel line magnets will be easy to get, just get something like one inch long by half inch wide by 1/16th thick. I'll try to look up the website again so you guys can read the same article. As far as how much I increased, I'm not sure. I have always used premium fuel and I just checked gas milage after I put on the magnets. Ours is a 4x4 and I'd say that if we drove interstate, we could probably get 20 MPG. I am sure the magnets helped a little, but if not, I'm out $20 I guess. If anyone has any luck with the wind tunnel devices, please let us know! Thanks again!
xs29l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #14
rod2envy
AF Newbie

Ok, finally got my K&N intake installed with the Throttle body spacer. I have been driving it for 2 weeks and I must say I feel and see the difference, before,, by the end of my normal week I would be on half the tank and now Im in the 3/4 per week, to me thats outstanding...

I see some guys here got confused with the Magnet thingy, I also bouth that but when I got it it seemed too cheap and didnt install it.

Now back to the atomizer received the kit and when I went to install it notice I dont have a fuel return line!!!! I need this line because is where the atomizer gets its fuel from, second alternative is to buy a shredder valve kit which lets you tap into the fuel supply line and it closes the valve so when you turn off your vehicle it doesnt flood it,,,,, so Im going to order the shredder kit this week and as soon as I get it I will install it and let you guys know, I had everything already installed except for the fuel line and it took me like 30 minutes to get it all ready so it wont be long before Im saving gas,,,

Like I said I'll keep you posted...
Old 06-04-2004, 08:06 PM   #15
john4.7
AF Newbie

hey you guys all talk about mileage i've never even seen. i have a 4.7 liter durango and i only get 13 - 14 mpg with a cold air intake from airaid. Tons of power but thirsty. I baby it most of the time and mpg never improves. any thoughts?
john4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango