Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
TONYABITZUSMC
AF Newbie

Ring and Pinion Upgrade?

I am trying to figure out the best ring and pinion ratio to put in my 07 Silverado. I was thinking 4.56. It is a lifted 07 chevy on 35 inch tires. Other than the lift everything is stock. I am looking for a little less stress on the components due to the larger tires. Anyone have any reccomendations? Gas mileage improve or get worse?
TONYABITZUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ring and Pinion Upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYABITZUSMC View Post
I am trying to figure out the best ring and pinion ratio to put in my 07 Silverado. I was thinking 4.56. It is a lifted 07 chevy on 35 inch tires. Other than the lift everything is stock. I am looking for a little less stress on the components due to the larger tires. Anyone have any reccomendations? Gas mileage improve or get worse?
Welcome to AF. Really depends on what gears you have in there now. If you have 3:73's then I would think that 4:10's would be better as it would put you back closer to stock gearing with the bigger tires.

Fuel mileage is an issue from driving techniques to having the speedo calibrated to the gear ratio and tire size.

Also big $$$ if you have 4wd as both front and rear have to match.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
TONYABITZUSMC
AF Newbie

yes i currently do have 3.73 in it. I understand that it will be a costly upgrade but it is something that needs to be done. I think 4.10s would be good for all highway driving but 4.56 would be a better gear for meeting in the middle between off-road and highway. I have been looking at Yukon gears. Do you know of anything better?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
bigbadram51
AF Regular

Quote:
yes i currently do have 3.73 in it. I understand that it will be a costly upgrade but it is something that needs to be done. I think 4.10s would be good for all highway driving but 4.56 would be a better gear for meeting in the middle between off-road and highway. I have been looking at Yukon gears. Do you know of anything better?

In the lifted realm, the general consensus is 4.56's for 35's. By the math 4.10's are the logical choice, but you have to take in consideration the extra unsprung mass of the 35's vs. the much lighter stock 31.5's. For example 35x12.5 Toyo MTs are almost 85 lbs per tire, not including the wheel.

Yukon gears are the way to go. I have been running Yukon 4.88's for 40k miles and quiet as ever. Also if you want my opinion, if your looking at re-gearing. I would ditch that G80 (it is truly the weak link in the GM 10 bolt) locker in the rear. Put in a Auburn LSD (I have), or if you do a lot of off road driving, the Detroit Tru-Trac
Yukon 4.88's with Auburn LSD
Xentec 6500k HID lows, Silverstar Ultra brights
Wade in channel window vents
Covermaster Top
Flowmaster 40 series, dual outs
Nelson 89/91 HOT TUNE
20" MB Gunner 6's, 37" Toyo Open Country MT's
Eclipse AVN6600 w/sirius and IPOD controllers
Code Alarm w/ Remote Start
bigbadram51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
TONYABITZUSMC
AF Newbie

You know its funny you say that, because i do run Toyo MTs. I dont think there is anything better.
A website called Randys ring and pinion quoted me about 220 for each set of 4.56s and another 170 for the master overhaul kits that include the seals, shims, crush sleeve, etc... They also recommended that i go with a yukon built limited slip/ posi unit to replace the original. (cost 430)
Doesnt sound too bad to me. Total came to 1180. Does that sound right to you?
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Gear ratio is not going to take stress off of front end parts and brakes and u joints and drive shafts and stuff like that the jack up and bigger tires have created.

The best gear ratio is to get out the old slide rule an calculator and figure out what RPM you engine is turning a 100 MPH with the OEM gearing and see if you can figure out a gear ratio that will give you close to the same with big wheel.
Or may be gear it up next step.
But do not over gear.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
bigbadram51
AF Regular

Quote:
You know its funny you say that, because i do run Toyo MTs. I dont think there is anything better.
A website called Randys ring and pinion quoted me about 220 for each set of 4.56s and another 170 for the master overhaul kits that include the seals, shims, crush sleeve, etc... They also recommended that i go with a yukon built limited slip/ posi unit to replace the original. (cost 430)
Doesnt sound too bad to me. Total came to 1180. Does that sound right to you?
Thanks for your help.

Seems on the high side...not by a ridiculous amount. But I did mine a few years back and got a member discount, and I dont remember what the gear total was, there was a handful of parts also being installed! The major cost is getting them installed, especially the fronts. Just make sure you take it to an off-road shop that does them frequently!
Yukon 4.88's with Auburn LSD
Xentec 6500k HID lows, Silverstar Ultra brights
Wade in channel window vents
Covermaster Top
Flowmaster 40 series, dual outs
Nelson 89/91 HOT TUNE
20" MB Gunner 6's, 37" Toyo Open Country MT's
Eclipse AVN6600 w/sirius and IPOD controllers
Code Alarm w/ Remote Start
bigbadram51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
TONYABITZUSMC
AF Newbie

Thanks everybody for your advice.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
gears , lifted , pinion , ring , trucks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado