Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Seville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
00STS
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Rusty 2000 STS

My 2000 STS has begun to rust in the bottom corner of all four doors. I am none too pleased to say the least as GM Canada has refused to do anything about it. The rust started under the bead of sealer on the inside of the door skins. There is a seam that is formed when the sheet metal is folded over to create the edge of the door and the rust is evident on that seam. The rust has now advanced on one door around the edge and is bubbling the paint on the exterior. Also the sealer has separated from the metal on the inside taking chunks of paint with it.

My warranty is 4 years (I'm OK there) and 80,000KM. I have 95,000KM on the car so GM has absolved themselves. Both the dealer and GM corporate have refused to assist me. 15,000KM is about 9,000 miles. I have spoken to the GM Customer "Satisfaction" Line and they will not assist me.

I am not driving a Cavalier here. In Canada these vehicles cost $70,000C. For a three-year-old luxury vehicle to start rusting is not acceptable in my opinion.

Any thoughts on how I might go about convincing GM they have some responsibility here?
00STS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
00STS
AF Newbie

Re: Rusty 2000 STS

I have prepared some photos of the problem areas on the doors. If anyone on this forum has a 2000 STS that is close to the end of the warranty it might be an idea to check this.

See: http://www.geocities.com/myrusty2000cadillacsts/
Old 11-15-2003, 11:33 AM   #3
00STS
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Rusty 2000 STS

New address:

http://www.cadillacsucks.net/

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-21-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Good Lord

Im so sick of hering people pounting because their cars are rusty and it shouldnt happen.You don't want it to happen?Then start taking care of your car.Nothing harms a cars body more than dirt.I don't care if you
own a damn Izuzu,if you keep it clean,it will not rust.One of my cars is a 1990 Cadillac Coupe Deville Roadster Edition.Yes,I drive it in the winter because I enjoy driving it.And I live in upstate New York.And our winters suck.The car is almost 15 years old,Im the second owner(purchased it of a person locally and have owned for 6 years now) and theres not one speckle of rust ANYWHERE.And yes,literally anywhere.The underbody still has the maroon paint on it.You know why mines so clean?Its because the first owner and I babied the car.Its apparent that you dont take good care of yours.And heres another suggestion,get the hell out of Canada if you don't want your car rusting.I think thats enough said.My 15 year old Caddy has no rust but your 3 year old Caddy does.Hmm,this don't take rocket science.
HandofDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
00STS
AF Newbie

Re: Good Lord

Thank you for your kind words. I certainly hope you never have any unwarranted problems with your vehicles.

00STS
Old 12-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Maintane your car and you won't have any either.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:53 AM   #7
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Did you read your warranty closely?Because most warrenties cover mechanical defects only.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:23 PM   #8
00STS
AF Newbie

Hand,

According to the Cadillac dealer that has done the rust repairs the rust started IN THE DOOR CAVITY. I would ask you to tell me honestly if you regularly flush your door cavities. If you do I'm sure many of us would be interested to know how you do it.

The Cadillac warranty indicates that after market rust proofing can void warranty coverage so that doesn't seem to be the answer either (this vehicle was not rustproofed). After having the rust repairs done I had had rustproofing applied (on the advise of the GM body shop manager)hoping it will slow the advance of the rust.

Thank you for your interest.

00STS
Old 12-27-2003, 03:23 PM   #9
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Simple, I wash the door cavities then I polish them.

So if the warrenty does not cover body defects such as rust,then why are you complaining about the dealer not dealing with your car's problem?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:50 AM   #10
Zero8985
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Zero8985

When you clean the body of the car, your suppose to clean anything that has been painted, along with the entire outside of the car. So, you wash in the wheel wells, inside the doors, even the inside of the trunk if the metal is painted. That doesn't mean take a hose to it, it means clean it. You prolly didn't clean it, so it rusted.
Zero8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #11
00STS
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero8985
When you clean the body of the car, your suppose to clean anything that has been painted, along with the entire outside of the car. So, you wash in the wheel wells, inside the doors, even the inside of the trunk if the metal is painted. That doesn't mean take a hose to it, it means clean it. You prolly didn't clean it, so it rusted.
Ok, let me say this one more time. The rust started IN THE DOOR CAVITY. This is the air space between the inner skin and outer skin. This explanation was given to me by the body shop manager at the Cadillac dealer that did the repairs.

I "prolly" would have cleaned it if I could have but I know of no way to do so. My point here is that a three year old Cadillac should not rust from the inside out in three years no matter where it is driven.

North American auto manufacturers are consistently losing market share to imports. There are compelling reasons to buy the products your neighbors make but we are at the point that we look past that and buy offshore for quality and customer service. It is not price....a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry cost more than a Chevy Malibu but they outsell the Malibu consistently. I believe my situation is indicative of the laissez faire attitude of N.A. manufacturers that has to be changed before this trend can be reversed.

Thank you,
00STS
Old 01-07-2004, 05:51 AM   #12
HandofDoom
AF Regular

How is it possible for a door to rot from the inside out?Honestly,I think your crazy.Because I just don't see that happening.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:58 PM   #13
Zero8985
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Zero8985
Re: Re: Re: Rusty 2000 STS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00STS
Ok, let me say this one more time. The rust started IN THE DOOR CAVITY. This is the air space between the inner skin and outer skin. This explanation was given to me by the body shop manager at the Cadillac dealer that did the repairs.

I "prolly" would have cleaned it if I could have but I know of no way to do so. My point here is that a three year old Cadillac should not rust from the inside out in three years no matter where it is driven.

North American auto manufacturers are consistently losing market share to imports. There are compelling reasons to buy the products your neighbors make but we are at the point that we look past that and buy offshore for quality and customer service. It is not price....a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry cost more than a Chevy Malibu but they outsell the Malibu consistently. I believe my situation is indicative of the laissez faire attitude of N.A. manufacturers that has to be changed before this trend can be reversed.

Thank you,
00STS
Rust is produced by exposure to moist Oxygen for a period of time. For the area you call the "inside cavity" to be exposed to moist Oxygen for a long enough period of time to rust would mean that this "inside cavity" was not sealed, and was widely open to the outside. Meaning, you has a huge ass rip in your metal, and you did nothing about it. OR, the "inside cavity" that your body shop manager spoke of is the metal area between the door and the seat, or the outside skin as you call it. which means it wasn't cleaned, and was exposed to moist oxygen for a period of time. So, either you misunderstood your shop manager, or you have a huge tear in your metal exposing the "inside cavity". Like HandofDoom said, rust doesn't start on the inside of a sealed area, it's impossible.
Zero8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:39 PM   #14
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Or maybe your shop manager is a HUGE dumbass and shouldnt be allowed to own a car.Not to mention,how is it even possible to look at the inside cavity of a door.Yea,it sounds like your this shop guys mental or was hoping to God that you would believe his bullshit story and was hoping you'd buy a new door for 300 dollars.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #15
HandofDoom
AF Regular

So it sounds to me that you're shop manager is all money grubber and you have totally no brains.The rust didn't start from the inside of the door.Its impossible for that to happen or tell unless you cut the door wide open,which is out of the question.Start cleaning your doors man.This means a nice coat of wax too,and you won't have that problem.