Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Best track/street car for under $35k?
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (EVO VIII) 4 22.22%
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti 5 27.78%
Nissan 350Z Track 4 22.22%
Mazda RX-8 6MT 2 11.11%
VW Golf R32 0 0%
Ford Mustang Cobra 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 06:48 AM   #1
WRX2.0TURBO
AF Newbie

Question Best Performance Car for under $35,000??

Out of the 6 below which is the best street car that can be track driven on the weekends (road course, not drag strip).

I'm looking not just for pure power, but handling, braking and good reliability with of course at least a bit of civility for everyday street driving (but just a bit).

My first choice was the WRX Sti, as I already own a WRX wagon, but I've read of a few reviews of the Evo and it seems very impressive on the track. The cobra is on the list because it has a 390bhp engine with good (if not great) handling and brakes.

Also, please give reasons and opinions for you choices.

THANKS!

(BTW: I have them listed in order of my current preference).

1. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (EVO VIII)

2. Subaru Impreza WRX Sti

3. Nissan 350Z Track

4. Mazda RX-8 6MT

5. VW Golf R32

6. Ford Mustang Cobra
Old 06-11-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
Well from what I have read...the Evo seems to outhandle the STi...but the STi has more torque and less turbo lag than the Evo...also the Evo has more precise steering but while the STi has a better overall drivetrain/tranny/etc

If it was just for road course action...Evo 1st...close 2nd to the STi...go drive both and see which one you like better

Old 06-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Other cars to look at are the Honda S2000 and BMW Z4. The biggest issue is that you will have to add a roll bar into the cost of the car if you're going to run it on the track, but the RWD feel of these on the track is better than anything else on the list.

Unless you like changing brake pads often, I wouldn't recommend the Mustang.

The only advantage the Golf has over any of the others is price.

If the car is a daily driver and the car will have to be driven in snow, then either the Lancer or the STi are the way to go. My preference would be for the STi because of the extra power and the driver controlled center differential, which is a quick adjustment to accomodate varying driving conditions.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
WRX2.0TURBO
AF Newbie

Z4 is too expensive , any-how, no cabs. Hard-top only.

As far as test driving is concerned, it's hard to get a test drive in these cars. I've only driven the 350Z (but Touring model) and the Cobra. And then only on short street drives.

I was hoping some one with more time behind the wheel could gives us some advice.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: Best Performance Car for under $35,000??

Quote:
Originally posted by WRX2.0TURBO
Out of the 6 below which is the best street car that can be track driven on the weekends (road course, not drag strip).

I'm looking not just for pure power, but handling, braking and good reliability with of course at least a bit of civility for everyday street driving (but just a bit).

My first choice was the WRX Sti, as I already own a WRX wagon, but I've read of a few reviews of the Evo and it seems very impressive on the track. The cobra is on the list because it has a 390bhp engine with good (if not great) handling and brakes.

Also, please give reasons and opinions for you choices.

THANKS!

(BTW: I have them listed in order of my current preference).

1. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (EVO VIII)

2. Subaru Impreza WRX Sti

3. Nissan 350Z Track

4. Mazda RX-8 6MT

5. VW Golf R32

6. Ford Mustang Cobra

i totally agree with your list....the only thing i'm not sure about are the performances of the new VW 32......never read any details on that car..

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 06-12-2003, 12:32 AM   #6
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
I'd rule out the R32- no matter how smart the Auto Transmission- It just isn't as good as what you are comparing it with

The Mustang is a poorly designed piece of ancient rubbish compared to what you have listed.

If you want AWD thrills and traction- go STi (If you are in the US- the Evo VIII is just a V in drag over there- cost cutting excercise)

If you want RWD- then go 350Z- just my opinion there- I just think it looks better than the RX8- never driven the RX8 y'see

So STi or 350Z if you ask me

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 06-12-2003, 03:03 AM   #7
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimster

If you want AWD thrills and traction- go STi (If you are in the US- the Evo VIII is just a V in drag over there- cost cutting excercise)

actaully every single tester picked the evo over the sti.....true by a very slight margin but still...the handling of the us evo is so good that on most tracks it will take the sti despite the power handicap

(\__/)
Old 06-12-2003, 03:41 AM   #8
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino

actaully every single tester picked the evo over the sti.....true by a very slight margin but still...the handling of the us evo is so good that on most tracks it will take the sti despite the power handicap

Yeah- but I just can't get over the whole damn cost-cutting excercise

Old 06-12-2003, 09:59 AM   #9
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

I hate how they ruined the looks of the Evo VIII...they wanted to make it look more like the rest of their lineup...yuck

The Evo VII was not as ugly...the Evo VIII looks like something out of the Pontiac stable nowadays...

The most beautiful Evo was the Evo VI...bar none

If I had to choose based upon looks and performance...I'd go w/the STi

Old 06-12-2003, 04:51 PM   #10
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Why not Cobra? I am by no means a Ford Nazi, as I like MOPARS the best. But the Cobra is the fastest car on that list.
Even though it has less power, I would buy a Mach I over a Cobra. They are just awsome, ever heard one? The stock exhaust sounds mean! Not like GT's where you can't even hear it, it's F-ing loud and sounds WAY better than a GT cuz of the 4 valves per cylinder - it sounds cleaner too.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:08 PM   #11
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by PWMAN
Why not Cobra? But the Cobra is the fastest car on that list.
As is stated above...this is for a ROAD COURSE...which not to say that the Cobra wouldnt do good at...but it would probably get beat by at least 3 of those cars on that list...so who wants to have a car that will have bad gas mileage, not last that long, and be a tank ?

Sure it's fast in a straight line and can brake pretty well...but the Evo and STi can do both of those things....and they dont weigh around 3500 lbs...and there's room in the back for the kiddies

Old 06-12-2003, 06:37 PM   #12
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimster

Yeah- but I just can't get over the whole damn cost-cutting excercise

yeah i hear you but i'm trying to be optimist and rationalise that by removing all the electronic nannies the car might present a more driver involved ride

(\__/)
Old 06-12-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by NISSANSPDR

As is stated above...this is for a ROAD COURSE...which not to say that the Cobra wouldnt do good at...but it would probably get beat by at least 3 of those cars on that list...so who wants to have a car that will have bad gas mileage, not last that long, and be a tank ?

Sure it's fast in a straight line and can brake pretty well...but the Evo and STi can do both of those things....and they dont weigh around 3500 lbs...and there's room in the back for the kiddies
They only weigh about 3100 pounds
Sorry, I forgot it was road course while I was busy reading. Ummm, then my vote goes to the EVO.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:32 PM   #14
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
if you mean brand new then likely the cobra, it's potential is leagues above the others and can be lightened a good bit, for such a boat it's got some potential for handling. If you just mean under 35K period, then easily a 98+ Fbody, in terms f handling, economy, engine performance and drivability it's got the rest beat.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:26 PM   #15
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1
if you mean brand new then likely the cobra, it's potential is leagues above the others and can be lightened a good bit, for such a boat it's got some potential for handling. If you just mean under 35K period, then easily a 98+ Fbody, in terms f handling, economy, engine performance and drivability it's got the rest beat.
The F Body is a good car for road courses.............If you like driving a cake of soap down a tiled floor