Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Static Sloth
AF Newbie

01 Sunfire, 2.4 L, Engine Code

Hello,

My check engine light came on recently and I had someone use a device that shows the engine error code. It came back with the following reading:

"P1810 - ATF Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch Malfunction."

I was wondering if anyone could help with this? I am not knowledgeable with fixing cars myself but I know a few people that are, so I will relay any information I get to them to see if they can help. The car is an automatic.

And in case it is of any importance - I recently had the waterpump changed, as well as the coolant system fluid flushed out and replaced with new fluid. The timing chain also jumped a tooth I guess when the mechanic was replacing the waterpump which caused my engine to be rocking back and forth when driving, but I brought it back to him and he fixed it.

Thank you for any assistance.

Last edited by Static Sloth; 07-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Static Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 01 Sunfire, 2.4 L, Engine Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Sloth View Post
Hello,

My check engine light came on recently and I had someone use a device that shows the engine error code. It came back with the following reading:

"P1810 - ATF Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch Malfunction."

I was wondering if anyone could help with this? I am not knowledgeable with fixing cars myself but I know a few people that are, so I will relay any information I get to them to see if they can help. The car is an automatic.

And in case it is of any importance - I recently had the waterpump changed, as well as the coolant system fluid flushed out and replaced with new fluid. The timing chain also jumped a tooth I guess when the mechanic was replacing the waterpump which caused my engine to be rocking back and forth when driving, but I brought it back to him and he fixed it.

Thank you for any assistance.
There is a TSB (03-07-30-021A) for this code to replaced the TFP (transmission fluid pressure) switch.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Static Sloth
AF Newbie

Thank you for your reply.

Is there anything else to do prior to replacing it to try and troubleshoot the problem down to something more simple?

Also, do you know of any guide that would provide details on how to replace the TFP switch on an 01 Sunfire?

Thank you.
Static Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Sloth View Post
Thank you for your reply.

Is there anything else to do prior to replacing it to try and troubleshoot the problem down to something more simple?

Also, do you know of any guide that would provide details on how to replace the TFP switch on an 01 Sunfire?

Thank you.
The diagnostic process of this code requires a Tech 2 scanner and a "pin out" box to take various measurements. It's possible one of yours guys make have access to the procedure.

As far as replacement goes. It's located inside the trans side cover and is a fairly in depth procedure to get that off for a DIY'er. However if you have access to a hoist and a pole jack it will be easier...
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions