Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
bbfalls
AF Newbie

99 Sunfire dead starter?

Hello again! So not the time of year for this....Here goes: 99 Sunfire, was starting weird, approximately 1 out of 10 times I would go to start the car and it acted like the battery was dead -- the heavy current draw sound, slow crank...(this happened only about a week - 1 out of 10 starts or so): Now I went to start it yesterday, and when I turned the key to 'start' nothing? No click, no wa wa ."

Battery showed 12.58v (after an attempt), headlights work; etc.

Starter? Ignition switch? solenoid only? Ideas?

I remember (sort of) when a while ago, someone said you can use a hammer and tap the starter? No fix, but maybe it will start?
And what was the other, oh ya, usuing a screwdriver to 'jump' the terms on the solenoid to start it and? which terms on the solenoid do you touch?

thanks in advance for any assistance.

bbfalls
bbfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
EvilGrogg
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Sunfire dead starter?

How old is your Battery. I have had a battery test fine on the tester at the store but would not crank the car over. I know it sucks to do but the starters are fairly easy to pull and get tested. Easy to rebuild if you can get the kit. Also check your battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight as that will keep it from cranking as well but will let lower current draw stuff the fuel pump cycle as normal. Just go thru every thing from the battery down to the starter and ensure that all the connections are solid and clean for proper electrical connection.
EvilGrogg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions