Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
lidation
AF Newbie

Main seal squrting transmission fluid a few days after changing transmission oil

My car: '98 Windstar GL 3.8L. 86K miles. I just changed my transmission oil early last week with Ford Motorcraft Mercon V transmission oil. The Mercon V is the correct oil to use according to my research here. I dropped the pan and cleaned the magnet and the pan. No excessive metal slits, just normal dark stuffs on the bottom of the pan and the magnet.

The transmission fluid was very low before tranny oil change. I made sure the fluid was at the correct level after the oil change. I noticed some fresh fluid at the slit between the engine and the transmission. But I had never noticed any fluid leaking on my driveway for the past 6K miles I have owned this van. I guess that was proably a small leak responsible for the low tranny oil level.

I drove the van for a few days and about 200 miles of mixed local and highway driving without any problems. No hard shift or anything. No leaks. I even crawled under the car to inspect everything. Still a little bit fresh fluid between the engine and the transmission but nothing excessive. No leaks on my driveway.

Last weekend, I took the van on a long trip to the White Mountain areas in New Hampshire. I drove 800 miles in a single day almost non-stop with my wife. We almost have no luggages with us. There was a lot of 11% slopes there. during the last 100 miles trip, I noticed that there was some oil mists showing up on my rear window! But no oil was showing up on the ground when parked and the tranny oil level was still pretty much the same as when I filled it up.

Then I met a huge stop and go traffic for nearly an hour. Immediately after that traffic I parked my car and then I noticed my van is squirting out tranny oil like a fauset!!!! There was a puddle forming under my car in a matter of less than a minute!!!!!! I crawled down there and saw the fluid was shooting out from the slit between the engine and tranny. I poured in 1.5 more quarts of Mercon V (fluid was correct now) and drove to a local mechanic. They told me it was the main seal and they could do nothing about it. It was weekend and no professional transmission shop open.

Don't ask me how I got home. I managed to have the van towed home to my local transmission shop. They haven't diagnosed it yet.

Any hints on the main seal? I have 3 friends' tranny broke within a few days of transmission fluid change. I was debating whether or not to change the fluid but then I guess if I do it right it wouldn't hurt. Now it seems that I probably only made my tranny worse when I changed the oil.
lidation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Main seal squrting transmission fluid a few days after changing transmission oil

It may also be the pump seal.. Mine leaks when it gets hot but lately I have not
has an issue and don't know why.. But if its going to cost a lot in labor you mine as well spend on trans replacement or rebuild.. As far as pump and seal replacement was not much less than a rebuild.. So I am going to wait mine out. I only drive it to and from work and short trips around town.
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
lidation
AF Newbie

Re: Main seal squrting transmission fluid a few days after changing transmission oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by garync1
It may also be the pump seal.. Mine leaks when it gets hot but lately I have not
has an issue and don't know why.. But if its going to cost a lot in labor you mine as well spend on trans replacement or rebuild.. As far as pump and seal replacement was not much less than a rebuild.. So I am going to wait mine out. I only drive it to and from work and short trips around town.
So you mean that yours leaked when it got hot but it does not leak during short trips around town?

I have not driven the van ever since it squirt that puddle of fluid so I'm not sure whether I can just drive it the way it is around town. I need the van to and from work as my winter vehicle. My commute is a no-traffic 14-miles short trip with only 5 traffic lights in between.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Yes that correct.. What you may want to see if it leaks while its parked and running.. If not drive it around and see what happens on a short trip. If it does not it may not leak until it gets hot.I have driven mine around 20 miles the other day and it still did not leak. So I not sure what to make of it now.The first time after my big leak it leaked a little after 10 miles so i figured thats fine I only drive it 8 miles one way so that should be fine. Then I drove it on my day off and forgot about it after doing 20 miles around town. Got home looked under the van and no fluid loss.. But mine was leaking around the engine and trans area where they connect so i thought it may be the main seal. Someone on the forum said there pump seal caused theres to do the same. Took to trans shop for them to look at and they said by the way it shuttered it could be the pump and seal starting to go. So i am waiting it out and then i will replace or rebuild the trans. Hopes this helps..
Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
lidation
AF Newbie

The transmission shop who inspected my van called me up saying that even now the tranny oil still shooting from between the engine and the tranny. They say it was a seal between the engine and tranny. The quote was $650. I just let them work on the van. Hope it will fix the problem, at least for a few months.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Yea that sound about right on the price.. That seal is fairly cheap. The labor is what gets you. Pump and seal would run me about 750.00 the rebuild if I opt for that would be about 1200.00 so in your case an extra 600.00 you get a rebuild..Can get a factory rebuild for around 1500.00 just have to add labor to that.. Sorry yours wont how out tell then.. Let me know how it goes..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar