Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #46
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stephenp
Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

i think its a good swap
nice power at a price you could afford props to you if i could break down and drop a 350 in one of mine i would but i lovbe the wirl of the turbos and the lovely hgandeling associated with the lighjt weight characteristics but id love to see it sweet deals and much props to you
Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #47
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

K3 don't even go there unless you know what you talking about.
The Hemi combustion chamber engine was and is to this day the most efficent engine ever built. Everyone including the Japs have been trying to come up with a better design, but to this date haven't been able to. The main reason and the only reason Chrysler dropped it in the first place was it's high cost to machine. Ford made one and dropped it also due to high costs. To this day the Hemi is the only engine able to handle the power it takes to power a AA/F dragster and funny's to the numbers they post. Nothing in this world to this date can come anywhere's near the power a Hemi can develop. Nothing. They were outlawed in every racing group or made to run in a class buy themselves because nothing could or can keep up with them. As for them updating the Hemi, they have, plus they also have a supercharged one that'll be out soon.
Ford SOHC engines? Better take a close look at the Police Crown Victorias, Mustang Cobras and some of the Lincolns. Unless my eyes are playing games with me their DOHC engines.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #48
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
K3 don't even go there unless you know what you talking about.
The Hemi combustion chamber engine was and is to this day the most efficent engine ever built. Everyone including the Japs have been trying to come up with a better design, but to this date haven't been able to. The main reason and the only reason Chrysler dropped it in the first place was it's high cost to machine. Ford made one and dropped it also due to high costs. To this day the Hemi is the only engine able to handle the power it takes to power a AA/F dragster and funny's to the numbers they post. Nothing in this world to this date can come anywhere's near the power a Hemi can develop. Nothing. They were outlawed in every racing group or made to run in a class buy themselves because nothing could or can keep up with them. As for them updating the Hemi, they have, plus they also have a supercharged one that'll be out soon.
Ford SOHC engines? Better take a close look at the Police Crown Victorias, Mustang Cobras and some of the Lincolns. Unless my eyes are playing games with me their DOHC engines.
i never said it wasnt a good engine...i said it needs updated. i did not know it was the BEST there is either. it isnt that hard to copy a design if someone really wanted too. you wuold just need the motor and im sure an engineer could copy it real easy and put a different name on it.

i dont think there is a brand new stock dodge hemi on the road that could take a porsche carrera GT on... with that said, why do you always seem to think that everyone is referring to peak power of a motor when determining the motor's quality??? why does all the manufacturers need to try and build something to have more peak HP than a Hemi, if dodge is only giving them 350hp from the factory. you have to remember that not everyone wants to turn there motor into a 1500hp+ dragster.

last time i checked the 5.6L VK in the Nissan Titan had the most towing capacity in its class...where is the Hemi when we are talking about the other 99% of the world that want to use the engine in their truck or car for something besides a dragster.

the 4.6L motor in the mustang GT is a SOHC...i did not know the 4.6L was offered in such a variety of cars. i thought most of those had the 5.0L DOHC.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #49
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT
Re: Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
It was a TT with a blown engine. Worried about cost of a LS1 swap, but not the cost of a stroker kit.
Turbo's aren't illegal, 300ZXTT's are.
The speed tuners in Mexico are some of the best tuners in the world. To qualify this statement i've raced against alot of them and most of there cars were or are hand built, very few speed shop parts. Example: to get a nitrous kit in Mexico, that $1,000 kit US cost is now $3,000. A $200 cold air kit is now $600. To this fact you add that the average pay here is $4.50 a day, not a hour, but a day you'll see that most of you spend more on insurance than most Mexicans earn in a month.
I've seen a Chevy truck with a Dodge rearend and a Ford engine hooked to a Chevy transmission. Why? Cause at the time that was all that was available. And it was all done by hand. Now you mechanical wizz's try that shit. You talk crap about i'd do this or i'd do that, when in reality I can count on one hand with some fingers left over the guys that has done this or that in this room. Guys, I'm not ragging you but please learn to DIY and leave the exotic parts to those that can afford them.
May the Z live forever, even if it has a Chevy engine in it.

hey gringoi know exactly what your saying bout mexico bro its not like everyone that buys the name brand shyt or have it done for a handfull of money out there its handmade or modified by hand and done themselves and alot of them can smoke the hell out of alot of cars here in the us..im not talkin bout here but alot of people rag on mexico and their cars i know when u see a mexican driving down the road here in the us their riding like 20 people packed and car is rigged up but tahst what the image is for all mexicans it seems like...

ok im done time to highjack this thread lol so what ta say now hmmm oh yah i was looking for the rear lower johnson rod on my car anyone know

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
Old 05-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #50
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

K3, How do you update the best that was ever built? And like you say, it isn't hard to copy, the problem is the machine work. Very expensive, thats why Chrysler and Ford dropped it.
The 351 Cleveland, 429 and 460 385 series super Cobra Jet engine came the closest to competing with the Hemi, but they were dropped also as machining costs were so high.
The Dodge Hemi at 350 HP is just coasting, not anywere's near it max. and your right, not everyone wants a nitro burning dragster. My Grandpa had a Chrysler 300B with a hemi till the day he died. I inherited the car which I hated it and pulled the engine and put in in a Vette as I already had a Hemi RoadRunner at the time that would rip the Vette a new ass.
AA/F nitro burning dragsters are more like 8,000HP not 1,500 HP.
Nissan's Titan does hold the draw bar pulling record at over 10,000lbs. but I haven't seen any reports on the new Dodge V10 truck with the Viper engine. I hardly think Chrysler would kill their flagship engine with the Hemi. I think they came back with the Hemi only to put there name back into racing.
All the Police Crown Victorias some Mercury's an Lincoln's and all new Cobra Mustangs have DOHC engines. The heads are also interchangable with the SOHC engines.
Now the new Shelby GT-500 Mustang has a Whipple supercharger engine as does the Nissan truck.
In fact more mfg's have gone to screw type superchargers than turbo's. If you remember a year ago, I said that the engineering in the screw type superchargers has advanced beyond the turbo's. That doesn't mean it will remain there. I'm sure the turbo people are scrambling to regain there spot in the automotive industry.
I'm sure if Chrysler wanted to build a medium size Viper with a Hemi they could give Porsche one hell of a run for the money.
Ford did it years ago with the GT-40 and the 2 different Shelby Cobra's. The only years they raced them they were #1.
So don't sell the Detroit iron short. When the need is there they still have some of the best engineering in the world.
Limited production exotic's were never Detroit's idea of building a car, but now it seems there's a market for them Both Ford and Chrysler have concept cars that if ever built well have the overseas car mfg's humping to catch up.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #51
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

oh i understand you Al...

and i understand that the Hemi is top dog when creating massive amoutns of power but like i said, in most peoples cases, a technological DOHC 4 valve per cylinder is setting the pace now-a-days...not the Hemi. im sure the American's will fire right back at the Nissan Titan overtaking them and then nissan will fire right back...hell even Honda is trying to make displacement engines now trying to steal a little sales from the big boys. this is why we have some of the best cars and trucks on the road in America. the competition is tough and you have to keep going back to the drawing board to create something better. makes us lucky to be Americans, well in your case a Gringo.

as for the Ford motors...that was my bad. i should have specified that i was referring to the 4.6L in Ford's icon car, the mustang. this is not that impressive of an engine in my eyes...and Ford knows this also...this is why they offer the Cobra/SVT. yeah 300+HP is not bad but Nissan is doing this with a 3.5L N/A...why???...because they have the edge in the technology.

our American car manufacturers always seem one step behind when it comes to technology, ever since the mid 90's...the Japanese and Europeans come out with these "crazy" gizmos and then a few years later you have the American Manufacturers coming out with the same idea.

wait till Nissan/Infiniti releases the "GTR"...it is supposed to have the Electric assisted AWD system called E-4wd. Lithium batteries power the front wheels while the Rear wheels are driven just like any other RWD car. AWD without the drivetrain loss...i also think nissan offers this AWD system to various cars over in Japan like the Cube which may also eventually see its way over here in a few years. and rumor also says that Nissan is going back to when they established the name nissan after it retired the name Datsun, with a mid displacement V6 Twin Turbo...we all ahve to admit that small displacement and turbos is nissan's bread and butter. CA18DET, SR20DET, L Series, VG30DETT, RB26DETT...these are some of the most reliable Turbocharged performance motors.

anyways, all that is to point out that im anxious to see who and how long it is going to take other manufacturers to jump on the bandwagon again. we already knwo that mitsubishi, toyota, subaru, and honda or gonna have to make an attempt. toyota has rumors already flying about the supra making its way back to production. we could possibly have another Japanese Super car war all over again...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #52
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

I'm amazed to see I started this much debate.

The difference as far as technology goes is really not so impressive when you think of what it really is. Most smaller Japanese motors are aluminum with higher revving parts. These parts are generally made of more expensive materials and therefor make a more expensive motor. The American iron blocks are basically cheap to mass produce (comparatively) with lower grade metals stamped into whatever parts are required. Look at the replacement cost of an iron block V8 versus an aluminum iimport engine. Some great advances have been made with the old pushrod technology though. Look at Corvette. 400hp pushrod motor/ almost 30mpg assuming you keep your foot out of it. Still more expensive than the iron block in the old trucks, but if you want to compare it to a 3litre porche motor,... what one do you want to spend the replacement cost on. When I was working at the old shop one of our other locations forgot to put oil in an early 90's 6 cyl Landcruiser for an oil change,...yeah I know, that motor was over $8k to replace and it was far underpower compared to it's lower price higher power and better mileage American counterparts. That was in the early 90's. And to make the comparison of a Porsche GT versus any car from Dodge is a little naive. The motor in a Porsche GT has the most expensive parts, metals, and labor you can get. Comparing that with a mass produced iron block car is kinda silly. Even the aluminum Viper motor is nowhere near it's expense at $15k. I don't know the replacement cost of a GT motor, but knowing the car is well over a $1/4 million I'm sure it's pretty steep. And I do agree the Titan is a hell of a truck with a great motor, but once again, the cost of that motor and materials versus the Hemi is still probably a few grand higher. The american car companies know that they can sell a truck for so much, and the consumer will tolerate some things like gas mileage versus purchase price.
As for the ford motors, When they first came out in the mid 90's the Modular motors I believe were single cam, but that was upgraded a number of years back in the horsepower wars. They've also gone to 3 valve technology in the trucks. I'm sure the Mustang heads are 4 valve.
All in all,... American engines versus Japanese engines are just plain different animals. Different philisophical approaches. Either way the cars have gotten leaps and bounds better. If only gas prices would improve as the cars do,....so sad.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #53
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

Oh, yeah, Albert. What's the rumor your hearing on the Supercharged Mopar?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #54
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdetore
I'm amazed to see I started this much debate.

The difference as far as technology goes is really not so impressive when you think of what it really is. Most smaller Japanese motors are aluminum with higher revving parts. These parts are generally made of more expensive materials and therefor make a more expensive motor. The American iron blocks are basically cheap to mass produce (comparatively) with lower grade metals stamped into whatever parts are required. Look at the replacement cost of an iron block V8 versus an aluminum iimport engine. Some great advances have been made with the old pushrod technology though. Look at Corvette. 400hp pushrod motor/ almost 30mpg assuming you keep your foot out of it. Still more expensive than the iron block in the old trucks, but if you want to compare it to a 3litre porche motor,... what one do you want to spend the replacement cost on. When I was working at the old shop one of our other locations forgot to put oil in an early 90's 6 cyl Landcruiser for an oil change,...yeah I know, that motor was over $8k to replace and it was far underpower compared to it's lower price higher power and better mileage American counterparts. That was in the early 90's. And to make the comparison of a Porsche GT versus any car from Dodge is a little naive. The motor in a Porsche GT has the most expensive parts, metals, and labor you can get. Comparing that with a mass produced iron block car is kinda silly. Even the aluminum Viper motor is nowhere near it's expense at $15k. I don't know the replacement cost of a GT motor, but knowing the car is well over a $1/4 million I'm sure it's pretty steep. And I do agree the Titan is a hell of a truck with a great motor, but once again, the cost of that motor and materials versus the Hemi is still probably a few grand higher. The american car companies know that they can sell a truck for so much, and the consumer will tolerate some things like gas mileage versus purchase price.
As for the ford motors, When they first came out in the mid 90's the Modular motors I believe were single cam, but that was upgraded a number of years back in the horsepower wars. They've also gone to 3 valve technology in the trucks. I'm sure the Mustang heads are 4 valve.
All in all,... American engines versus Japanese engines are just plain different animals. Different philisophical approaches. Either way the cars have gotten leaps and bounds better. If only gas prices would improve as the cars do,....so sad.
the porsche vs. hemi was mentioned because Al stated that the Hemi was the best motor...and i was using an example of the porsche motor to prove that the Hemi is not the best for everything. it may be the best Peak HP motor but there are far better motors from the factory, not everyone wants to turn their car into a 8000HP dragster. the Porsche Carerra GT is faster than a Hemi truck in every aspect so obviously the Hemi is not the best motor in this scenario. it may be the best motor for Peak HP...and the nissan titan has far better towing capacity than the Hemi trucks so obviously the VK has the edge there over the Hemi also. just because it makes the best peak Hp doesnt make it the best motor for everyone...just for the small percentage of the population that wants to build a dragster.

and you have to remember the prices of motors have alot to do with where they come from too. if they are built in Japan or Europe than they are gonna be more expensive because someone has to pay shipping and currency exchanges and all that jazz. while American motors are built right here in the states...the metals and alloys used to create this motors is only a small piece of the price of a motor when you consider its origin and what not. another reason why motors are more expensive from out of country is because the fact that most Import Manufacturers used different motors for different applications making them not AS common as the average 350 small black or 302 small block which was put in almost every vehicle produced in america. the Import Manufacturers are just now catching on to makign the same motor work for different cars. for example, nissan is now using the VK and VQ in most of their cars if not all. in a couple years this will benefit people owning these cars if they need a motor replacement because it will be alot more common than a VG30DETT which is found only in 1 car produced.
ZedEx Crew Member #4

Last edited by k3smostwanted; 05-13-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #55
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

holy crap ill be honest i really didnt read tha last 10 posts of about a 500 word essay lol but im sure what you all said made sense so i agree

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
Old 05-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #56
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Holly Shit!, my thread caused lots of interesting opinions to arise, and I think there is a pretty good discussion going on in here.

Peace.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
Old 05-14-2005, 04:29 AM   #57
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

First lets clear up a few false statements.
#1 a cast iron block costs more to cast and machine than a investment casted aluminum block. The reason for aluminum engines is weight, nothing more. But the big problem with aluminum is warpage and stress. Aluminum don't like heat and well warp real easy with heat.
#2 pushrod engines have and can turn over 10,000RPM.
Small block Chev's and the Ford 351C were famous for turning 11,000RPM. I had a 351C that I shifted at 10,500 and in the lights at 11,000.
#3 Put a Porsche engine in a truck vs. a Dodge Hemi truck and see what happens.
#4 The Jap's have and are building the highest tech engines in the world today. But the Italians have built the highest tech engines ever.
Ducatti's Desmadromic (sp) valve system is the most advanced system ever. Then of course MotoGuzza's 250cc V8 engine's with rotary valves that turned 22,000 RPM and developed 210HP.
#5 The Jap autos and parts aren't expensive, it's the government duty placed on them so the'll be the same price as American counterparts thats expensive. Thats why most Jap auto and motorcycle mfg's are building there products in the USA to beat the high import duty placed on there product.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:21 AM   #58
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
First lets clear up a few false statements.
#1 a cast iron block costs more to cast and machine than a investment casted aluminum block. The reason for aluminum engines is weight, nothing more. But the big problem with aluminum is warpage and stress. Aluminum don't like heat and well warp real easy with heat.
#2 pushrod engines have and can turn over 10,000RPM.
Small block Chev's and the Ford 351C were famous for turning 11,000RPM. I had a 351C that I shifted at 10,500 and in the lights at 11,000.
#4 The Jap's have and are building the highest tech engines in the world today. But the Italians have built the highest tech engines ever.
Ducatti's Desmadromic (sp) valve system is the most advanced system ever. Then of course MotoGuzza's 250cc V8 engine's with rotary valves that turned 22,000 RPM and developed 210HP.
#5 The Jap autos and parts aren't expensive, it's the government duty placed on them so the'll be the same price as American counterparts thats expensive. Thats why most Jap auto and motorcycle mfg's are building there products in the USA to beat the high import duty placed on there product.
I sit corrected.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #59
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
yeah but put a stock porsche engine in a sports car and put stock dodge Hemi in a sports car!!! your missing my point, there are better motors for different causes...

if your going for a dragster, by all means buy the Hemi...and if you do want to get technical, im sure Jet engines can do more damage than a Hemispherical engine. anyways, im sure the Hemi will be overtaken in a matter of time as the best dragster engine also. there is too much tenchnology for a 30 year old design to stay #1 in drag...the only thing keeping them from building one better is probably the simple fact that manufacturers have no reason to build a better engine to create 8000hp because they only need 300-400hp to surpass their competitors. when the Hemi was introduced thats what people wanted and thats what they got. now with the soaring gas prices and the attention of alot of racign viewers turned from drag to a different form of racing, it is obselete.

if your going for a street sports car, the Hemi is probably not the best choice and there are alot of other very impressive motors out there for this purpose..

if you want an economy engine, you better stay away from the Hemi...maybe go with a Honda, Toyota, or Ford Hybrid.

if you want to tow a 9000 pound trailer up a 30 degree hill with the air conditioner on...you probably do not want to get a Hemi.

there are better motors for different situatons...one motor will never be the best when their are people out there that use their vehicles in so many different ways.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #60
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
if your going for a dragster, by all means buy the Hemi...and if you do want to get technical, im sure Jet engines can do more damage than a Hemispherical engine. anyways, im sure the Hemi will be overtaken in a matter of time as the best dragster engine also. there is too much tenchnology for a 30 year old design to stay #1 in drag...the only thing keeping them from building one better is probably the simple fact that manufacturers have no reason to build a better engine to create 8000hp because they only need 300-400hp to surpass their competitors. when the Hemi was introduced thats what people wanted and thats what they got. now with the soaring gas prices and the attention of alot of racign viewers turned from drag to a different form of racing, it is obselete.

if your going for a street sports car, the Hemi is probably not the best choice and there are alot of other very impressive motors out there for this purpose..

if you want an economy engine, you better stay away from the Hemi...maybe go with a Honda, Toyota, or Ford Hybrid.

if you want to tow a 9000 pound trailer up a 30 degree hill with the air conditioner on...you probably do not want to get a Hemi.

there are better motors for different situatons...one motor will never be the best when their are people out there that use their vehicles in so many different ways.
i know this isnt the point but jet engines actually take very long to reach the power needed to move its own mass and huge weight, jet engine dagsters still only run in the 5s at high 200 mphs while hemi powerd topfuelers run in the mid 4s, but ayways (sorry to go off on tat being that it had no relevance)
but anyways the only improvements that will be made to the hemi will just be efficency improvements for internal cumbustion motors as a whole, as it stands the hemispherical head is the most efficient design possible and to improve on this designit would have to be a very dramatic redesign of the motor as a whole that would change the whole flat piston attached to a crank design
the existing hemi design could be mated to very small ci motors (small honda 4 cylinders) to make even more efficient motors than the existing B and D series. thats just some info on the hemi i doubt i really fueled the fire or gave any new info to anyone but if i inlightened anyone or helped anyone see its potential sweet

Past Z Car Crew

-josh

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)