Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
fenixfire08
AF Newbie

Attaching hitch to 1997 Camry LE

I'm moving across country and am trying to save some money. I am considering attaching a hitch to my 1997 Toyota Camry, which has just under 300,000 miles on it. I consulted someone at a local auto store who has a similar year, make and model and they recommended renting a UHaul due to the damage pulling a trailer (probably a UHaul 4X8, largest would be the 5x8) may do to the transmission and suspension. Does anyone here have experience pulling trailers with this year, make, and model or have any suggestions about installing a hitch?
fenixfire08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Re: Attaching hitch to 1997 Camry LE

As far as installing a hitch, there are already threaded bolt holes in the frame on each side in the rear. If your car was Japan built you may have to remove the tie down bracket from the frame to access those bolt holes. You may have to chase those threaded holes since they are probably rusty after not having been used for so many years. I installed a class 1 hitch on my 98 Camry using those holes. It was made by Reese Products. I only use it to install a hitch mounted bicycle carrier, nothing heavier than that. Not sure if it's still available today. You can check Reese Products website.

As far as the maximum weight you can tow, I would check the owner's manual. I definitely would not exceed that weight recommendation, especially on such an old vehicle. I would also change the transmission fluid before leaving on this trip and check the brake pad and brake shoe thickness at each wheel.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Gerber For This Useful Post:
fenixfire08 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

You can only tow about 1000 lbs with a 97 Camey. That tow capacity includes the need for a external oil cooler. Uhaul wouldn't even rent you one of their small trailers because they are already 900 lbs and it's going to require a class 2 if not class 3 hitch.

Your best bet is to get a small uhaul truck and tow dolly. Many times when it's a long distance haul you may be able to negotiate a better overall rate.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I was outside working on my car when I read and responded to this, but I have called it a day since I've been outside in the sun for 7+ hours so I decided to dig into this more for you.

This can be done, but with lots of caveats.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...97/C12339.html

That hitch is said to fit a 97 Camry and the rating is 3500 lbs.

With that hitch, and the proper receiver and ball you can haul a Uhaul 5x8 trailer with 1800 lbs, or a 4X8 trailer with 1650 lbs.

Its about $90 more for the 5X8 trailer.

That being said you'll also have to install a trailer light kit and as said you're probably going to need an oil cooler and a trans cooler. With that kind of mileage I honestly wouldn't trust the car to go that far without a trailer. Uhaul even triggers a warning that says

Quote:
Please consider the condition of your Tow Vehicle.

The vehicle information you have entered has triggered this alert. If you are planning to tow a trailer, for use over any distance, you should consider the condition of your tow vehicle. Towing a trailer can be demanding on some older vehicles, depending upon their condition. You should consider the mechanical condition (Engine, transmission, suspension, brakes and tires) into your rental/purchasing decision and if applicable consider the following alternative options:
So the cost to tow a trailer with your Camry is going to cost a minimum of $400 to $500 just to make it ready to tow, and that is if you are installing everything yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it you're pushing $700-$800, and then you still have the rental cost of $275-$375 or possibly more.

Then you have to factor in the possibility of breaking down. If you break down you will then be forced to switch to a truck and dolly and then you are out your car and will have to fix or replace it once you get to your destination.

Think long and hard before you make your decision. Sometimes "saving money" doesn't save anything and costs you more in the end. It's why I've lived by the motto of do it right the first time, or even do it right or don't do it at all.

Good luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista