Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
murox
AF Newbie

Question about HIDs/dealer

I have an '04 Denali and I'd like to install HID headlights. There's a website called www.hidexpress.com who is selling the set for Denalis for $399.00 + shipping. Seems like a good buy to me, but I'm not familiar with the seller. Has anyone here purchased HIDs from this website?

Thanks for the help.
murox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Eggert
AF Regular

Re: Question about HIDs/dealer

Hi murox,
please notice that you can not change the halogen bulb for an HID bulb. You are not looking at replacement headlights, just the bulbs (with ballasts).
This is illegal for good reasons.
I know, that there are many smart outfits trying to convince you to do that. They usually are the same ones that try to tell you that blue tinted halogen bulbs are better than clear ones - with less light coming out .
Your Denali projector lamps really are good and bright enough. I converted my headlamps from non-Denali regular ones to Denali projector ones.

Following thread talks about this:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=208142
Last 2 messages from this thread:
tonytone []
AF Enthusiast

11-22-2004, 03:14 PM Re: Converting Yukon XL headlights to Denali Lights (Post #18)
Eggert--it is also illegal in the U.S. to replace OEM halogen headlights on a vehicle with any HID headlight kit (with the possible exception of the Sylvania kit for the NBS Tahoe/Suburban) at this time, yet you were looking to get such a kit for your truck--let alone failed to even mention this fact...

Report Post | IP: Logged
PM | ADD BUDDY | GALLERY Edit/Delete | | Reply w/Quote

Eggert []
AF Regular

12-05-2004, 09:31 PM Re: Converting Yukon XL headlights to Denali Lights (Post #19)
Hi tonytone, may be I should have followed this up.
I did not get HID lighting as I found out that the bulb kits are illegal and Sylvania was not planning to do Xenarc HID X2020 replacement lamps for the GMC trucks.
The projectors are a big improvement over the regular ones and all I need.
Take care, Eggert Johnson

Last edited by Eggert; 01-01-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
nali02
AF Newbie

i can see the reasoning behind aftermarket hid's being illegal as a lot of people throw them into reflector style headlight housings which blind everyone in front of you, but i put a set of 4100k hid's from www.xenonfactory.com (btw, the customer service over there is awesome, alex is very helpful) and they are great, the cutoff line from the stock projectors could not be any better, not to mention the difference in light output is amazing, i will never go back to halogen bulbs.

but like stated before it is still illegal but i guarantee that it will not draw any attention as it looks completely factory/stock. now im just trying to get my fog lights to match the headlights (not necessarily hid's but something that looks the same to the eye).
nali02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
stagalv
AF Newbie

Wink

Yes, I have purchased from HIDExpress.com I put a 6000 conversion kit in my '01 Denali just this past week. I paid $399 for it and am really happy overall. The installation is quite easy. The hardest part about it is figuring out where to mount the ballast parts for each side.
Once I installed it I turned them on at night, got about 100yds from the truck and walked towards it to make sure they were aimed correctly. All worked out well.
This same company offers the 8000 bulbs for the same price but I think they are too blue. These 6000's work great. Good Luck.
stagalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Y2K996
AF Newbie

HIDExpress.com

I just got the same kit (6000K 9005) from HIDExpress.com on Friday. When I tried to install it the light bulb base was far to large to fit the hole in the headlamp housing. When I called them they suggested grinding the light bulb base to fit. I explained to them that I would be left with nothing for the o-ring to fit into. They asked me to send them a photo of their bulb and the 9005LL I removed from my 2005 Denali. When they saw the difference they issued an RMA. I am wondering if I got a mislabeled bulb. I wanted these for a 1600 mile trip I am making on Wednesday but now I am not sure what to do.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Could be...although last year xenonfactory.com had similar fitment issues with 9005 HID kits on '03+ Denalis (I heard about someone else having such an issue, and got confirmation from the owner of xenonfactory), since corrected.
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
Y2K996
AF Newbie

I spoke to them today and they admitted the 6000K 9005 they had appear to have a larger base than the 8000K 9005 they have in stock. They are overnighting me a pair of 8000K 9005 to try out.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
Y2K996
AF Newbie

The 8000K bulbs turned out to be the correct size. And are they ever blue. I think I will wait until I get stopped by law enforcement before I change the bulbs.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi,
that does not speak well for HIDExpress...
OEM color for HID is 4100K, that is what I would stick with to not attract the cops and have better light...
Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
borchelt
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Question about HIDs/dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggert
Hi,
that does not speak well for HIDExpress...
OEM color for HID is 4100K, that is what I would stick with to not attract the cops and have better light...
Take care, Eggert
I put s set in with 6000K. Also used the custom wiring harness so as to not overload the stock wires. Cops haven't stopped me yet but if they do I'll probably go to the 4100s
borchelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
zutoo
AF Newbie

I have 8000k's in my headlights and fogs on my Denali. They light up the road much better than stock and look great. My truck is black with 20% tint all the way round and 50% on the winshield and I have never had a problem with the man...
zutoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Shantrane
AF Newbie

Just put a set in my 02 Denali. They are bright, but there is a cutoff with the projector beam. I turn them up to point higher, I can now see the road. Save your money, buy the Silverstars and point the lamp higher, but the HID do look good.
Phillips Ballats and bulbs. Easy install too
Shantrane is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon