Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:15 AM   #1
Dale3n8
AF Newbie

Angry 2004 drivetrain noise

I have a 2004 Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3 engine, auto tranny, and a posi rear end with 3.73 gears. There are 2 drivetrain noises I was wondering if anyone hears in their trucks as well. First, Everytime the truck shifts gear to gear, say second to third, there is a clicking noise......this is in 2 wheel drive, but it goes away in 4, so I would wonder if it coming from the transfer case? Second, there is a rattling noise if I am cruising along, between 42 and 47 mph and give it just a little bit of gas. I hear the rattle just before the tranny kicks down to 3rd gear from overdrive. Are any of these things normal? The truck has less than 1500 miles on it and has done this since new. Thanks
Dale3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
TCurray
AF Newbie

I too have a 2004 Sierra (the new crew cab 1500 4x4 Z71) with about 4K miles now. I have noticed that the transmission will shift into overdrive at 40mph (seems a little early - GM must be trying to get as much mpg as they can out of it). On a slight incline between 40 and 50mph, while staying in overdrive, when you are having to step into the gas some to maintain speed (or using the cruise), there is a "strain vibration" sometimes coming from somewhere when you roll out of the gas (at least that is what I'm experiencing). I have looked up under the truck and there are heat shields everywhere! I am wondering (hoping) if that is the vibration I'm hearing. Don't know if that is similar to your situation. As for a solution, I have not found one. Thought about taking it to the dealer, but don't feel that will be very fruitful. Also, I have thought about reprogramming the shift pattern to make the overdrive not happen until after 50mph with something like the DiabloSport Predator. Don't know yet. Please let us know if you find something out.

On some other subjects:
1. The AC makes this somewhat loud swishing noise in the cab when running. If you turn the radio on you don't notice it that much, but it is still a bit annoying. I checked back at the dealer and we checked some other trucks on the lot, but they were not as loud as mine. They said it's not a problem must just be a little noisier than normal. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to make it quieter?
2. There are these sheets of black plastic that keep sliding out from under the door panels (all 4 doors). You can kind of push them back up behind the door panel on the front doors, but they will slide back out. I checked a friend's 2004 Chevy crew cab, and he had them hanging out also. You have to bend way over and look under the door panels to see them. Looks like something they either forgot to remove from the factory, or something they didn't install very well. I was planning on asking the dealer about them the next chance I get. Can anyone explain what these are?
TCurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
dlwdkh
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 drivetrain noise

as far as the noise goes i have no idea, but the black plastic sheets are the plastic they use to cover the openings in the doors behind the door panel. this is used to keep the dust down in the cab. sounds like they didnt get those positioned properly so they are creeping downward on you. Or that the adhesive used is not up to par and that allows the summer heat and gravity to let them slide. any how they wont come out too far. i would take it to the dealer and have them pull the door panels and fix it.
dlwdkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:55 AM   #4
dustyfrets
AF Newbie

Ditto Here

I have the same truck, same tranny, same engine. And unfortunately the same "popping" noise when I shift into reverse, or sometimes when the truck shifts while driving. It almost has a electronic contact sound (solenoid), but is very noticeable. I also have around 1300 miles on the truck. The dealer is around 50 miles away, so I haven't been there yet, but will be soon. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Other than the irritating and concerning noise...the truck has been great so far.
dustyfrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
Dale3n8
AF Newbie

Angry Update

Well, I had my truck at a dealer today to address my problems and this is what they told me. The clunking noise I have from 2-3 and 3-2 shifts is discussed under technical service bulletin 01-07-30-042B. The bottom line is that while GM realizes the problem, they call it normal! They end it off by saying "this is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted."! I have a work truck that is a 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with 126,000 miles on it and that doesn't make clunks like this one does with 3,000 miles!!!! I will be in touch with GMC about this matter! The explanation says that the clunk is a "momentary torque reversal of the output shaft". How long does anyone think that tranny will last doing this crap? Probably about 37,000 miles when the warrantee is gone. And to think I traded in my Dodge that had a bad rap for bad trannies.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
beemer nut
AF Newbie

I also have the 1500 crew cab and I have not experienced any of this problem (Yet?). I have about 4500 mile on the truck right now.
beemer nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
hobbsdog
AF Newbie

I too have a 2004 Sierra and am experiencing both of the noises that Dale3n8 is experiencing. The clunking also occures when shifting from reverse to drive. Where can i read that service bulletin 01-07-30-042B at? Thanks in advance.
hobbsdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Dale3n8
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2004 drivetrain noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsdog
I too have a 2004 Sierra and am experiencing both of the noises that Dale3n8 is experiencing. The clunking also occures when shifting from reverse to drive. Where can i read that service bulletin 01-07-30-042B at? Thanks in advance.
I can only find reference to it online, but the dealer did give me a printout of the TSB. This is what it says.......

INFORMATION ON 2-3 UPSHIFT OR 3-2 DOWNSHIFT CLUNK NOISE #01-07-30-042b- (01/16/2004)

2004 and prior Light Duty Trucks

2003-2004 Hummer H2

with 4L60E or 4L65E automatic transmission (RPOs M30, M32)

Some vehicles may exhibit a clunk noise that can be heard on a 2-3 upshift or 3-2 downshift.

During a 2-3 upshift, the 2-4 band is released and the 3-4 clutch is applied. The timing of this shift can cause a momentary torque reversal of the output shaft that results in a clunk noise. The same torque reversal can also occur on a 3-2 downshift when the 3-4 clutch is released and the 2-4 band is applied. This condition is may be worse on a 4 wheel drive vehicle due to the additional tolerances in the transfer case.

This is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted.

Now they are telling us what is "normal noise"! I've had trucks all my life and never had a noise like this short of a stretched chain int he transfer case! What a bunch of BS!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:58 AM   #9
hobbsdog
AF Newbie

Thanks for posting the info. I do believe that is what is happening to my truck to cause the noise. This is my second GMC, my first 2002 Sierra had a major malfunction of the electrical systemand the air bag deployed in my driveway one morning when i started it. Gmc never took responsibility for this default; happened more than once. I sold that truck to get out and bought this 2004 hoping that i would have no problems; now i wish i had bought toyota or nissan.

thanks again
hobbsdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #10
coda307
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to coda307 Send a message via AIM to coda307 Send a message via Yahoo to coda307
Talking

I have a 05 Sierra, 800 miles. Went to GMC about the vibrating-humming drivetrain noise. It happens at about 48 mph in od for a second. They said its the
torque converter solenoid engaging and is NORMAL! BS
The trans guy was'nt there, so scum other guy said normal
I am pissed that noise IS NOT NORMAL!
I have another appointment to get a second opinion from the Trans guy

This will be fixed~LEMMON LAW
coda307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #11
scarl
AF Newbie

Not normal

I have a 2003 it had the clunk the day I got it 30000 miles later still there normal my ass. I called the BBB see what happens trying to get gmc to buy truck back.
scarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:14 AM   #12
dc_maineman
AF Newbie

Drivetrain noise

I have a 2000. Rear end noise (whinning) local garage says it needs bearings. Gas gauage works intermittent. Changed both front hub assy.
Tow/haul doesn't work. 77K. Brakes and rotors front and back. Not beat. I take very good care of it. Toyota next.
dc_maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #13
sawyer
AF Newbie

2004 sierra drivetrain noise

I have a 04 Sierra with 12000 miles and i have the vibration problem. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find it the first time around, I had to use the truck, so I took it home and rescheduled another visit. I am taking it in tomorrow. I posted earlier before I saw this thread. iIf I find anything out I'll post it here and on my thread. As for the clunking noise, I had a 94 Silverado that had the same problem, The dealership told me it was a normal condition, so I just ignored it. I just sold that truck last fall with 180,000 miles on it and no problems with the transmission, it was still making the noise when it was sold.
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #14
bcndlg
AF Newbie

drivetrain noise

I have a 2004 1/2 ton 4WD Crewcab Chevy with 19,000 miles. My truck makes the 2 drivetrain noises that Dale3n8 described as well (When the truck shifts from gear to gear, say second to third or third to second. Second, there is a rattling noise if I am cruising along, between 42 and 47 mph and give it just a little bit of gas. I hear the rattle just before the tranny kicks down to 3rd gear from overdrive) This has happened since around the first / second oil change. I have talked to a service technician at the local dealership. He said he has a 4WD that does the exact same thing. He also said that all 4WDs (Avalanches, Extended cabs, HDs, Tahoes, Suburbans) make the noise (except for trucks with the Allison transmission) and that GM says it is normal. I hope the dealership considers this when they appraise it or I can provide documentation to an interested private party from GM stating that the clunking is not a problem...
bcndlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
rrousou
AF Regular

My 2005 was good till I got around 3000 miles on it then it started clunking. The dealer did an update but the clunk is still there at the 2-3 upshift. Judging from driving it after the update all that the update did was lower the shift point to a lower speed. I wonder if a performance rebuild by a transmission specialty shop using beefier components and modified valve body would solve the problem?
rrousou is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra