Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
monkey_no1
AF Newbie

Quest for McLaren crown......pointless??

Check the link.........

http://www.fast-autos.net/bengineeri...ingedonis.html

Not a big fan of this car or what it is trying to achieve. Personally I think the McLaren F1 is the best car ever made and has the proof to be rightfully crowned the fastest prodution car in the world ever.

Think there has been a trend recently in supercars (think of how many have been released over the last few years) trying to be the fastest or best??

Buggati Veyron - This is even more pointless, it's doesn't even look right. Too bulky and is only trying to be one thing, quick. I don't think this car will ever make it to the road.

Koenigsegg - I want to hate it but it's stunning to look at but doesn't have the poise of a McLaren and not a great fan of forced induction to achieve big hp figures.

Pagani Zonda - Now this is a real supercar and the spirtual successor to the McLaren but has never been proven to do the claimed 220mph the has been branded about.

Ferrari Znzo - I think Ferrari has let the wind-tunnel affect what could have been sheer beauty. Do you think they where trying to beat McLaren's records? Still is the ultimate Ferrari.

Porsche Carrera GT - Porsche's first real supercar? Don't think Porsche where trying to beat anyone. Behind the McLaren, I think this is one of the most stunning cars around.

Just what I think. Any thoughts anyone?
monkey_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:35 AM   #2
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
unfortunately i'm the Forced Induction King.

Jaguar XJ220 the BEST supercar ever built and certainly the most beautiful twin turbo's
Ferrari F40 a beast with twin turbo's
Keonigsegg Swedish lunatic charm this thing is bloody brilliant.
Muchielago - what more needs to be said other than its a lambo and the sound if terrific
NSX Type R - this is a supercar for the plain and simple fact that it can overtake a F50 in a corner. Its cornering speed is greater than all supercars and it laps circuits in times close to that of proper V8-V12 supercars. The next NSX will be a V8 and will be a supercar because it'll annihilate everything on a track especially the type R.

As you can see three of the above supercars are Forced induction. I'd take any of them over a Maclaren any day. Maclaren's have no character and are boring.

My not so likeable list

Enzo - ugly
Porsche GT - broing
Bugatti - always horrible
Zonda- the damn ugliest thing i ever did see (engine is from AMG Mercedes) not a sucessor cuz its not built by Maclaren the guy was a Lamborghini Engineer. Personnaly thank god he had no say in Lamborghini otherwise their latest supercar incarnations would be but ugly too not drop dead gorgeous
Old 07-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
feenix z
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to feenix z
super over rated

The gt is not the first porsche supercar. Remember the 959? that thing still has more than respectable times and numbers. Don't you guys think that supercars are a bit overrated? I mean it kinda becomes a dick waving contest after a while. I think about as high as i would ever go up the sports car line up would have to be a lotus or nsx. Great performance, every day drivablitly.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: Quest for McLaren crown......pointless??

but what's more stupid?
the car companies for trying to better the last thing they've done?
or little kids arguing over what car is faster, as if being fast is all that matters?

on a side note,
the zonda.
it might not have the top speed of the mclaren but apparently it is way more stable at over 200 mph.
in one test, the driver (andy wallace....) even took off the little flaps on the spoliers to reduce any drag
AND it was still more steady than the mclaren was.
put simply,
what is 'better':
a car that can go 231 mph but is a major handful
or
a car that can sit at 200 mph and still feel as stable as if it were 90mph?
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
feenix z
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to feenix z
seriously

right on, like 200 mph is really that great, sure it must be a thrill rush, but how many people who submit to this forum will ever travel that fast on land? I say if a car handles well, who gives a crap about speed
Old 07-19-2004, 04:41 PM   #6
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: Quest for McLaren crown......pointless??

just a quick note.
a dauer 962 has been indepently timed at 0-60 in 2.8 and maxed at 251.4 mph at ehra lessien.
and yes, the car is road legal too.
it is fully leathered inside and even has a dvd player.
but um, they're a little hard to come by....
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote