Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
ajb0009
AF Newbie

Manual Transmission Fluid

I recently purchased a 2010 Mazda 3 with 42,000 miles on it and it has a five speed manual transmission. I wanted to change out the fluid with a synthetic like Mobil 1 or something like that. I live in northern Wisconsin where we can see -20F during the winter. I stumbled upon a TSB from Mazda (05-009/10). It says the 2010 and newer manual trans calls for 75W-80 gear oil. It says that if you use 75W-90, it may result in reduced fuel efficiency and/or deterioration of shift feel when cold. I e-mailed a technical rep at Mobil and asked him about this. He replied that Mazda is right and I should buy the 75W-80 from them, becuase Mobil only makes 75W-90. I checked around and could not find any synthetic 75W-80. I think the Mazda stuff is regular non-synthetic. What does everybody think? I still like the idea of using a synthetic, even if it is a bit thicker.
ajb0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
ajb0009
AF Newbie

Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

I ended up putting in the full synthetic Motorcraft 75W-90. List price was like $23 per quart, I still paid close to $18 per quart for three quarts. I have been very pleased. It has been nasty cold this winter in central WI, down to -30 some nights. I mean sure, it does get somewhat thick at those temps, but nothing like an oil with that heavy of a weight normally would. And after just a coulple miles of driving, it gets better right away. Very nice shifting all of the time.
ajb0009 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 3