Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
jss919
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jss919 Send a message via Yahoo to jss919
Question Unable to shift gears on 93 Aerostar

I have a Aerostar with the auto trans and when I went to shift into drive I herd a noise and now I'm unable to shift gears. The shifter just flops around between park and reverse (I think). I am able to start the car and if somebody goes under the car they are able to manually shift the gears.

I think that the cable and tranny is good but the connector between shifter and the cable broke somehow. I was able to get the part from the dealer but I'm not sure what's involved in replacing it. I haven't tried taking the dash apart to see how much work is involved and weather it would be better to take it somewhere to have them replace it.
jss919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
fenderbender339
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fenderbender339
Re: Unable to shift gears on 93 Aerostar

My wife has the same problem with her 96 aerostar, the shifter flops around and sometimes does not start the car in park or nuteral. Please keep me posted as how to fix the problem. Im sure that the cables under the tranny are intact.
fenderbender339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
gunner3oo6
AF Newbie

I have a 91 Aerostar that did the same thing. I replaced the whole cable because it siezed up and then popped off the trany arm. If replacing the whole cable ( it's about 18" long or so ) you can reach it from under the van. Both ends pop off but can be stuborne. Pop the first end onto the shifter side and then move the tranny arm to reach the other end. It's about a 15minute fix. Be sure to use some lubricating spray on the trany arm too and ofcourse block the tires!
gunner3oo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
jss919
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jss919 Send a message via Yahoo to jss919
Hopefully it is the cable. The problem I had was the rod and tube that went from the shifter on the column to where it meet the cable. It involved removing most of the dash and lowering the steering column. It wasn't real hard to replace but it wasn't fun either.

Jeff
jss919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
fenderbender339
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fenderbender339

Thanks for the info. However after looking at it more closely i have notice that i will need to remove the stering colum and look under, the ignition key is also striped.
fenderbender339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Elayne72
AF Newbie

I realize no one posted on this thread since 2004, but...
I'm having the same problem. I have most of the dashboard components ripped out and I can access the part without taking out the steering column.

Do I HAVE to take out the steering column to replace the shift tube? or do you just take it out for easier access.
Elayne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
DAVE K
AF Newbie

just developed a similar problem,93 aerostar and was looking to see if i was along or if anyone else had the same or similar ones.
Looks like i have a common problems and a lot of help already.
Only i am using a screw driver to shift gears from under the dash
(kinda hit and miss).
DAVE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Elayne72
AF Newbie

We finally succumbed to take it to someone else today. Removing the steering column is beyond our expertise, and it's too cold out there to waste time trying to learn it. If it was summer we might try, but not now.

I did get the part for $28.25 at the dealer, so there's some good news.
Elayne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
mike2885
AF Newbie

I've got a 93 Aerostar. The shifter lever seemed to get loose over the years and then the shifter tube snapped and the lever sort of flopped around and was unable to work. I took the plastic knee board off and the two plastic pieces below and above the steering column to see what happened. I saw that the metal tube that attaches to the lever had snapped. I had a guy come over and we stripped it out and its a pretty extensive job. Upon removing the tube we noted the rod inside of it was bent and need to be replaced as well. Here are some pictures of the operation to replace this common problem with Aerostars and many Pick Up trucks. While I was in there, I replaced the iginition tumbler assembly which had been loose and would twirl round and round and round.... From finish to start its about a 2.5 hour job. Parts total was about $77.

Last edited by mike2885; 04-02-2007 at 11:37 PM.
mike2885 is offline   Reply With Quote