Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:14 AM   #16
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Re: CV boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy4x4
i drove with a torn cv boot for a month replaced it and still now problems your theory is flawd rlith
Not really, I've seen em blow apart after a week with a torn boot from debri... And any reputable place will tell you to replace the shaft once it's torn... Yes, sometimes you can get lucky and just replace the boot, but personally I'd rather spend the 50-60 bux on a new shaft and not worry about it again or worry about being stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a flopping CV. Your own theory is flawed if you think that just because you went a month and nothing happened that it applies to all situations.

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #17
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: Re: CV boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlith
Not really, I've seen em blow apart after a week with a torn boot from debri... And any reputable place will tell you to replace the shaft once it's torn... Yes, sometimes you can get lucky and just replace the boot, but personally I'd rather spend the 50-60 bux on a new shaft and not worry about it again or worry about being stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a flopping CV. Your own theory is flawed if you think that just because you went a month and nothing happened that it applies to all situations.
But you have to understand, having a small tear in the boot will not destroy a CV joint.

Saying you have to replce the whoel thing and put in the time to do this instead of swapping on a 15 dollar boot in is a little neurotic and you have to realise that people are not made of money and telling people to undergo unneeded repairs is unresponsible and is something I would hear from a shady mechanic.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #18
blazee
Problem?

Re: CV boot

This should be interesting.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #19
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
A small slice, not necessarily.. I'm talking contamination of the grease. Once debri is in the grease, failure is not long to follow. Face it, unless you inspect them daily, you don't know how long you've been running with a torn boot.

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #20
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlith
A small slice, not necessarily.. I'm talking contamination of the grease. Once debri is in the grease, failure is not long to follow. Face it, unless you inspect them daily, you don't know how long you've been running with a torn boot.
This is true and I understand your point.

With a boot replacement with the appropriate cleaning and grease replacement will rid the CV of any grit contamination if it is indeed in the grease.

If you replace the grease which you should always do with this small procedure, all should be well.

Don't take my posts as cutting you down, I respect you and your excellent contributions here.

I just want to save people money. I know that sometimes it will not always work, but in this case, no harm will come about from not replacing the whole joint.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #21
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Leaking CV boot? There's no fluid to leak. Dirt can get in, but no fluid leaks out. Possibly some grease may be flung out, but that's about it. Better get a second opinion. Depending on the size of the tear, you could use RTV silicone for a 100% effective repair...
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #22
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: CV boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbec1999
Leaking CV boot? There's no fluid to leak. Dirt can get in, but no fluid leaks out. Possibly some grease may be flung out, but that's about it. Better get a second opinion. Depending on the size of the tear, you could use RTV silicone for a 100% effective repair...
The grease will leak out.

Good idea about the rtv sealant, I will try that.

My friend has a leaking boot and doeesn't want to take everything apart to fix it.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:19 PM   #23
casualchris
AF Newbie

so,

I was offroading on the weekend and now the right side tire when I make a hard turn/u turn goes "chunk chunk chunk" but no problem when going straight.

This is the cv boot making the noise right??

Can I drive it sparingly till my next payday??

Is it a hard replacement??

thanks in advance

cc
casualchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #24
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualchris
so,

I was offroading on the weekend and now the right side tire when I make a hard turn/u turn goes "chunk chunk chunk" but no problem when going straight.

This is the cv boot making the noise right??

Can I drive it sparingly till my next payday??

Is it a hard replacement??

thanks in advance

cc
No, sounds like your whole CV joint is shot.

Don't put this off, fix it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy