Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
sunny1
AF Newbie

Question obc Warnings ??????

I have a 91 525 (recently purchased) Starting to flash warnings on dash eg. low coolant level, brake light circuit, and suspension leveling. I have had all the bulbs checked (brake light circuit) and not one of them was bad?? The coolant level is right where it should be and Im not sure yet on the suspension leveling warning, but I wonder if there is something Im not checking on these things (brake lights/coolant level) or could I be having problems with the obc or ??? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Re: obc Warnings ??????

1] 'brake light circuit': replace the switch

2] 'coolant level': replace the level switch in the bottom of the reservior

3] 'suspension leveling': ? ? ?I've never seen a 525i with self-leveling ? ?
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
sunny1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: obc Warnings ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyb4me
1] 'brake light circuit': replace the switch

2] 'coolant level': replace the level switch in the bottom of the reservior

3] 'suspension leveling': ? ? ?I've never seen a 525i with self-leveling ? ?
Thank you for your quick response I wondered if it was sensors or something but didnt think that three of them would go at the same time??? as far as the suspension leveling, it is flashing the warning and it refers to it in the owners manuel??? but it just says to check the power steering fluid level and if that is not low take it to a bmw dealer?? Oh well it's going in tomorrow for brakes, rotors and muffler so I guess I will have them check that stuff at the same time!!
Old 08-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
sunny1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: obc Warnings ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1
Thank you for your quick response I wondered if it was sensors or something but didnt think that three of them would go at the same time??? as far as the suspension leveling, it is flashing the warning and it refers to it in the owners manuel??? but it just says to check the power steering fluid level and if that is not low take it to a bmw dealer?? Oh well it's going in tomorrow for brakes, rotors and muffler so I guess I will have them check that stuff at the same time!!
Well muffler done brakes not.... and they didnt check the suspn leveling (NO Time??) So are you saying that the e34 525I does not have self leveling??? Why would I get a warning?? and I have noticed the rear end sits lower then the front???? If you like I could post pix of warning and side view of car???? Let me know tia
Old 08-24-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Tina, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, yes, I mean, NO, I've never seen an E34 with 'self-leveling EXCEPT for M5's though all of them are 'wired' for the sensor. I can't recall seeing the warning on a 525i BUT you state the rear 'squats' quite a bit. Though not a common problem, it sounds as if you need rear springs. A previous owner may have been carrying pick-up truck loads in the trunk. YES, a pic of a side view [with the trunk empty] might help but I'm fairly sure your problem in the rear is the springs. Await your reply..................jeff b.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
sunny1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: obc Warnings ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyb4me
Tina, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, yes, I mean, NO, I've never seen an E34 with 'self-leveling EXCEPT for M5's though all of them are 'wired' for the sensor. I can't recall seeing the warning on a 525i BUT you state the rear 'squats' quite a bit. Though not a common problem, it sounds as if you need rear springs. A previous owner may have been carrying pick-up truck loads in the trunk. YES, a pic of a side view [with the trunk empty] might help but I'm fairly sure your problem in the rear is the springs. Await your reply..................jeff b.
Jeff thank you for your reply, I will take some pix today and post them tonight after work.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:44 PM   #7
sunny1
AF Newbie

Well I got home late and the pix kinda dark will post better pix tomorrow if need be.....
Old 08-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
sunny1
AF Newbie

Well here is a lighter pic, I didnt take a pic of the warning but will if you want me to? So if its not suppose to have it, I guess I just dont understand why I keep getting the warning???? tia Tina

Old 08-29-2004, 06:15 PM   #9
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

I'm sure it's me, but your car looks slightly high in the front as opposed to being to low in the rear...??..Let's try this, an actual measurement I can use to compare yours to factory spec's. This measurement is call "ride height". It has NOTHING to do with how far your car is from the ground! It's a CHASSIS measurement so try to do this exactly as I tell you, not what might make 'common sense' to someone else.
All you need tape measure, metric would be great if you have one, I'll do the fractional conversions otherwise. [ a drawing would be so helpful here ]
At each wheel, measure from the lower lip of the rim [closest to the ground] up through the wheel center cap, straight up to the lower edge of the body wheel opening. This will be perpendicular to the ground and ,again, from the bottom of the WHEEL to the bottom edge of the wheel opening on the BODY. Record all four corners, post them and let's 'see' what we have................best to you.................jeff b.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #10
sunny1
AF Newbie

Ok I dont have a metric tape measure but in inches the measurements are:
driver front: 23.5,Passenger front: 23.5
driver rear: 21.5 Passenger rear: 21.5
Old 08-29-2004, 09:59 PM   #11
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

I'll post back 8/30/04.....................jeff
Old 08-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #12
sunny1
AF Newbie

Thank you Jeff for all your help so far Tina
Old 08-31-2004, 11:59 AM   #13
sunny1
AF Newbie

Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 PM   #14
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Tina, I'm back, sorry once again for the delay.....while I 've never seen a car measure so evenly side to side your front /rear readings show something interesting. Loaded vehicle height [ 'normal load = about 300 lbs. in the front seats ] is 20.551" with 15" wheels and while this kind of diagnosis from 500 miles away and on line is boardering on the extreme, it does appear the front is quite high, even in your somewhat shadowed pictures. Note that your measured ride height spec on any BMW is always the same front and rear with-in a spec tolerance. Your situation seems a bit unique, how often do you drive up to Seattle?

As far as your WARNING diplay goes, while I've neglected to inspect another E34 for the presence of the rear wheel sensor, ALL E34 clusters have the ability to display the information but 525i & 535i's wire this cluster pin to a constant low signal making it non-functional while M5's & 525ti's ARE wired to this sensor.

I do want to be of help with your problem, what can I do to assist you further [ I'm still investigating the WARNING ].................jeff b..........
Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 PM   #15
sunny1
AF Newbie

Well the measurements may have been off a little, like less then a 16th of an inch but I don't think anymore then that. I will have someone else do the measurements tomorrow and post them if you like??? As far as getting up to Seattle... Not very often. Im not sure what else you can do??? Should I be concerned with this?? (ride height issue) Should I take it to someone to have it checked out?? Thank you for all your help and I will wait for your reply on the warning light??

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series