Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:30 AM   #1
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2001 Headlight problems

The lights on my 2001 caravan are acting up in a big way. When the daytime lights are on the drivers side light works but not the passenger side light, when you turn on the light switch the diverside light goes out and the passenger side light comes on. Then when you put on the high beams the passenger light goes out and the high beam drivers side comes on. I replaced the light switch and it changed nothing. Please help. Thanks
1366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
tony palmer
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Headlight problems

Amazing! Just got back to Toronto from a trip to the west coast & guess what???EXACTLY the same problem, right down to the high/low beam "switching sides". I've got no solutions, but now I know I'm not alone with this problem/defect.
tony palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
cdeardorff
AF Newbie

Help!!, I have same problem. 2001 Grand Caravan ES. Dealer replaced a relay and it worked for two days and now is back to right left right.
cdeardorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
skeeterj2003
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1366
The lights on my 2001 caravan are acting up in a big way. When the daytime lights are on the drivers side light works but not the passenger side light, when you turn on the light switch the diverside light goes out and the passenger side light comes on. Then when you put on the high beams the passenger light goes out and the high beam drivers side comes on. I replaced the light switch and it changed nothing. Please help. Thanks
I was having the same problem with my 2002 Grand Caravan. The dealer replaced the headlight switch. This stopped the headlight problem, but created a bigger one. After the switch was replaced the alarm would trigger itself while driving. Headlights would flash and horn would blow.Took it back to dealer of course it never done it for them. So I picked the van up on Saturday and was told to bring it to them the next time it done it, too late now. As we were coming home on Monday night someone turned in front off us and took out the front drivers side of my van. They are repairing the van and I will have it back in a few more days maybe that will fix the problem now!!!!
skeeterj2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
AWP9521
AF Enthusiast

1366, have you checked the bulbs to make sure one of the filamants arn't burned out? The DRL's typically use the high beams at 80% brightness when in operation. The same light using the DRL is still working with the high beams on. Your bulbs are a dual filament 9007 type bulb, it is quite possible that each one has one of the filaments out.
AWP9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
mommyvan
AF Newbie

I am having the exact same issue with my 2001 Grand Caravan. I actually came on here to see if I could find a solution. My dealer first replaced the computer in my van, and that fixed it for about a week, and now they are telling me there is a crack in the "Power Distribution Center" that is causing the problem. Now that I know others are having the same issue, I know it isn't happening because of a crack in a plastic box they want me to pay $275 to replace. If anyone has discovered a solution to this problem, please email me at liv4hopes@adelphia.net. My inspection is due in February and I need to get this taken care of! Thanks.
mommyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
tony palmer
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2001 Headlight problems

I passed on all the info I had printed from both this site & another one from various people with the same problem, to a local mech/expert. Without missing a beat he said "oh yeah I've replaced the body control module on two vans with this problem in the last couple of weeks & the lights work properly now".

Although he's very knowledgable, I'm going to wait a few weeks to make sure those other vans' lights are still working before parting with 3 or 4 hundred bucks!

Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyvan
I am having the exact same issue with my 2001 Grand Caravan. I actually came on here to see if I could find a solution. My dealer first replaced the computer in my van, and that fixed it for about a week, and now they are telling me there is a crack in the "Power Distribution Center" that is causing the problem. Now that I know others are having the same issue, I know it isn't happening because of a crack in a plastic box they want me to pay $275 to replace. If anyone has discovered a solution to this problem, please email me at liv4hopes@adelphia.net. My inspection is due in February and I need to get this taken care of! Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #8
Mrbizness1
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2001 Headlight problems

I had a simular light problem with a Maxima
I installed 2 new bulbs, end of problem. The car is driven by my daughter
so I assume she had been driving with 1 bad bulb and never noticed a problem until the other one blew and people started flashing her. (KIDS)
It might be worth a try to change 1 bulb and move it from side to side.
Mrbizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
tony palmer
AF Newbie

Thanks, but been there, done that. I'm a "frequent flyer" when it comes to bulb replacement! A now have a collection of used bulbs that work - but not in my van!!!
Incidentally, all my headlights are working this morning (even though I've done nothing), but will likely return to abnormal in the next day or so.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #10
ddeeter
AF Newbie

Unhappy headlight nightmare

Having same problem with headlights on a 2001 Dodge Caravan, if anyone has an answer or solution let us know, Thanks.
ddeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
mikeymikey
AF Newbie

where do you find the body control modual ?I have some what the same problem only it is my day lights /hazard lights and single lights not working.I have checked the lever switch replaced the hazard-DRL modual but I can,t find this other body control modual . I have 2 identical van so i can try it on the other
Just rebuilt the engine at 275K only because the water pump went, so I went all the way as not to have any break downs in the future
But I can,t fix the light thing (go figure)
mikeymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #12
Molina
AF Newbie

Did you ever get this problem repaired? Please advise, thank you.
Molina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
B33p3r
AF Regular

Try disconnecting your batteries for 10 minutes to reset the BCM. While disconnected, clean posts and battery connections real good. Make sure clean and tight when done. Sometimes this will clear up problems caused by the BCM. It's worth a shot.
There is also a relay(front control module) for the Headlights in the IPM(intelligent power module....under the hood where the relays and fuses are. Your owners manual should spell them out for you.). This relay controls left high/low and right high/low headlights. I'd troubleshoot that or even replace it before I started looking into replacing the BCM. Post back and let us know how you make out.
B33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
butner
AF Newbie

OK what did you do to fix it, my van 2001 se has caught the same bug yours had. Did you rectify the problem?

Please let me know, I have traced the problem to the PFM "Pure Fn Magic" located the inner fire wall drivers side.
butner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
vipergg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony palmer
I passed on all the info I had printed from both this site & another one from various people with the same problem, to a local mech/expert. Without missing a beat he said "oh yeah I've replaced the body control module on two vans with this problem in the last couple of weeks & the lights work properly now".

Although he's very knowledgable, I'm going to wait a few weeks to make sure those other vans' lights are still working before parting with 3 or 4 hundred bucks!

Will keep you posted.
I would agree with this guy , the bcm controls most of this stuff . It has cause many other problems also such as all your guages and backlighting to die . Front and rear wipers and washers . Before trying anything else try resetting the bcm by going into the fuse and relay center under the hood and the pull the fuse labeled IOD for about 2 minutes and reinsert , this will reset the bcm , if this doesn't help then bcm replacement may be necessary . All this stuff is computer controlled now because they think we need stuff like turning the headlights off after 15 minutes if you forget to turn them yourselves , the only way to do this run everything thru a computer (BCM) . Think they hired microsoft programmers to write the code for this thing . Think they need to put a control,alt,delete button inside the vans . :-)
vipergg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager