Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
dmorrison
AF Newbie

Need Advice

Hello all. I am new to the forum and need some advice from other Prelude owners. I am looking at buying a 1997 Base Prelude for my 16 year old son. Here are the specifics

Silver Exterior
Black Leather Interior
Miles: 156K
Exterior shows little wear with only 2 rock chips
Interior look brand new
Moonroof
Previous owner (the original) kept great maintenance records

I have not had a chance to drive it yet since the dealership just got it in on trade. The thing looks flawless with just a few paint chips that the dealership will fix. They are asking $6850. What do you think of the price? Also, since it has 156,000 miles on it so what should I be on the look out for when I take it our for a test drive Saturday. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

D
dmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: Need Advice

Youre looking at a car at a dealership, so of course you will pay out the ass.... with 156K miles, make sure the timing belt and water pump was changed.... Is it manual or automatic?? if its automoatic, make sure the fluid is still in good condition and not burnt.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
SilverRomeo
1/24 modeler

leather interior? If I'm not mistaken I don't think leather was ever offered on the 5th gen lude.
Those might be aftermarket seats that you are looking at. You might want to check if the original owner just swapped them for preference or if there was a problem with the interior before...
SilverRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
frisnosity
AF Newbie

I have leather in my 97 black lude from factory, if the car is clean that is a good deal. Has the car been modded yet?
frisnosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
frisnosity
AF Newbie

You'll want to keep that car for yourself!!!!!!!! Especially after u drive it!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
dmorrison
AF Newbie

Folks, thanks for the advice. As far as I could tell, there have been no mods to the car. As for the seats, they look factory. The have a white H stiched in the headrest (seats are black leather).

Do any of you have concerns with the milage? I have never owned a Honda before, but friends of mine had them with well over 200K. I did know to check that the timing belts were changed every 90K. Any other things you can think of? It is an automatic tranny.

D
Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
frisnosity
AF Newbie

If the car wasnt abused its prob in really great shape. That motor is so over enginnerred its blueprinted and balance from the factory and has oil squirters that oil the piston skirts just like turbo cars suck as a supra, it'll handle alot of miles i would guess. That car got me in some trouble with the law, so at 16 i would tell sure ur son to understands that car is a missle with 3000 lbs behind it.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

4 years ago I bought my 96 VTEC lude with 150k on clock from a dealer for $6000 and I've never regretted it. If the car is in the good condition it appears to be in, it is worth it. Just make sure the seller isn't covering up any hidden problems.

I'm not trying to make you suspicious, AFAIK there are no major problems with Preludes (other than the timing belt thing, which you've already checked, and the tranny syncros but yours is auto so no problem).

So far the only major problem I've had was the master and slave clutch cylinders, and that was an expected repair (because I had just upgraded my clutch kit I knew the master/slave cylinders would be too old to work the heavier clutch)

178k miles now, the engine still starts on the first crank, it idles smooth and silent at 600rpm, acceleration is smooth and powerful, VTEC hits like a ton of bricks (well maybe 1/2 ton, it's only 4 cylinders) and after driving it for four years I still get that excited "oh boy I'm gonna have some fun" feeling when I start her up.
Gohan Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
dmorrison
AF Newbie

Thanks for your thoughts and advise. I will update you after my test drive tomorrow.

D
Old 02-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

a prelude is a nice first car no matter what some people say. good in winter if you need to deal with it, very reliable, FWD so you can drive it while you still suck at driving, good gas mileage, good resale value, ect. i would consider getting the timing belt and water pump done soon, every 60k is recommended. some say you can go farther but why risk it? belt breaks, motor breaks. no way around it and h22a4 are not that cheap.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
dmorrison
AF Newbie

I went to the dealership yesterday to drive the car, and I have to say it was one sweet ride. She definitely did not show her age. But, I had to let someone else have her. I took the car to show my wife and son. They both absolutely loved her, but I failed to take into consideration my son is 6'4". When he sat in the car, he had to hunch forward to keep his head from hitting the headliner. We tried everything to adjust the seat to make it work, but to no avail - I was majorly bummed! I had visions of the old James Bond movies with Jaws driving down the street with his head sticking out of the Sunroof. I really appreciate all of you advise and we will keep looking!

D
Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

thats too bad. i was as close as you to buying a 1997 honda prelude for my first car. i loved it and im 6'3". but someone with a bit more money came and got it a day before i went to buy it. good luck with the car search though. if you want a suggestion, throw out a couple guidlines your looking for and i can name cars that would be a great fit. right off the bat i would say if you can find a car you guys like with a manual transmission, please teach your son how to drive one. the spread of automatics is like the spread of the black plague. see if you can find a 6-speed acura legend.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude