Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
jive1414
AF Newbie

2001 pathfinder catalytic converter - still searching

I need to replace my catalytic converters and i've been searching high and low. My local carmax (where I bought it used 2 yrs. ago) wants to charge $5000 (!!!!!!) to replace them and my mass air flow sensor. I can buy the MAF and install it in 5 minutes and save myself hundreds but the catalytic converters are a little more expensive. I've heard they sell for $1000 ea. But that would still save me a whole lot. I just need to know where I can buy them.
Any help is greatfully appreciated.
jive1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
circeseye
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 pathfinder catalytic converter - still searching

the funny thing about catalytic converters is for some reason you CANT buy them or install them yourself. ive tryed numerous times to buy them and every parts store says no the dont carry them for customers to buy. it very annoying. or if i get one (used or new) and take it to a shop they refuse to install it. but then this is california soooo
circeseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
f3pilot
AF Newbie

A buddy of mine has a 2001 PF also and here's the story......

He took it down for the emissions and first they do the OBD test and it fails. He received a printout stating that both banks of catalysts are bad at the tune of $2000 and some change, compared to you that seems like a bargain Anyway I'm the optimistic type so I busted out the trusty fluke meter and went to tap the wires from all 4 sensors. I got no voltage or even a steady voltage nor a sine wave except from the drivers side front which had a steady .4-.43 volts...then I lost that voltage. There's no way a properly running motor, especially the 3500 will burn up 2 cats in 70K miles I called the dealer and gave him the codes I think they were something like TO420 and 430 or similiar, get this...he said there is a bulletin for the PF that it needs a re-flash of the ECM to fix this. From what I hear there alot of PF owners dumping major $$ into the exhaust to fix this. But the good thing is I believe Nissan covers the cats up to 8 yrs/ 80K miles anyway if there bad.

If all 4 O2 sensors are bad this can look like bad cats but for all 4 to be bad it sure looks like it's tied to the ECM which powers them. So the short story is don't buy the cats yet and find out about the reflash.
Good luck
f3pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
88pathoffroad
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 88pathoffroad Send a message via AIM to 88pathoffroad Send a message via Yahoo to 88pathoffroad

Almost any exhaust shop can weld on new high-flow cats for about $150-200 each. I don't know where you're getting a $5000 price tag for cats. They simply don't cost that much. Call around and ask.

88pathoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
cleareru
AF Newbie

Just had mine changed and installed for $600. Everyone else was asking $2000. for both. If your still looking I think the place is in Kansas.
cleareru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Axelpkt
AF Newbie

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/...a2f0e4c541a5f4

$100 a pieces a lot better than a couple of grand
Axelpkt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail