Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
aukster
AF Newbie

Question 01 Transmission Whining

I have a 2001 that is a Premiere Edition, it is taking spells now to where the transmission is whining idling or moving doesnt matter. But when moving and whining, it shifts hards. Any suggestions on this? It doesnt do it all the time. I cant really determine if there are any factors that causes it to do it. I did check the fluid and it was good. Will a filter and fluid change bother it? I know this may seem dumb, but I have heard stories about chaning transmission fluid. Thanks for the help folks.
aukster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
markqc
AF Regular

Re: 01 Transmission Whining

This is a common problem related to a sticky solenoid in the transmission. (Do a search on the forum and you will find a lot of info) Apparantly to replace the part is almost the same cost as a rebuild. There is a "shift kit" available which others have had some luck with.

If your fluid is relative new, I would try putting in a half a can of SeaFoam TransTune. If your fluid is old, put in the half can and run it for a day or two. Then change the fluid. If the problemm comes back, drop the other half can in and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you will need to service the transmission anyway.

It has helped me for the last 20k KM (1 year) so far. The TransTune product was less than $10.

Good Luck,
Mark
markqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Markqc I take notice. AUkster please post results. As I am a systematic skeptic about additives of all kinds, double confirming that some do work would give me a break in some occasions....
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
H_civic66
AF Newbie

Mine is doing the same thing. It started whining and would go and trew the torque converter code. I had the filter and fluid changed and it helped for a while but is starting to do it again since it is warming up. I also put transgard in it, and since it is starting again guess that didnt work. Let me know if the seafoam works i might try that. I cant find any where that shows where the tc valve is or I would messed with it. Good luck.
H_civic66 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette