Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
eel_dahc
AF Newbie

3.3 V6 no spark on first coil

Sorry it's a lenghty post.

I have a 91 Cutlas Ciera with the 3300 3.3 V6. I lent this car to my sister because her husband wrecked hers. I got the car from an old woman who barely drove as a swap for painting her house. The car ran great when I got it and had 90000 miles on it. While my sis and her hubby used it the Hamonic balancer went bad. They didn't have any money so I bought a new balancer. He took the balancer off but didn't feel like putting the new one back. I visted them and checked the car. He had used a crow bar and bent the belt pully, breaking a part of the rim off and cracked the ignition module plastic. So, being pissed off with their additude of not giving a rats ass about it, I pulled it back to my house. Since I worked a lot, a mechanic that my mom knows put the new balancer on but didn't have the keys at the time to test it.

I tried to start it and it would not run. I took my spark plug tester and placed it on the first coil and got no spark. On the second coil it did light up, and it lit up on the third coil. My brother had some extra coils so I tried them in place of the first coil. None of them showed any spark.

My dad took the ignition coil to O'Reilys or Autozone and they tested it and said that it was good.

So, with that history, would the ignition module be bad if the lower coils show spark?

Also, would the crank sensor cause the first coil not to fire but fire the other two? I do not know if he bent that too when prying the balancer off.

Chad
eel_dahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 3.3 V6 no spark on first coil

Tough to tell where this is with the history you stated, it could be either the module or the sensor after what happened. Make sure the cps is not damaged or too far/close to the balancer.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series