Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
capitalv
AF Newbie

05 Liberty came with 1 key

I bought an 05 Liberty with one key. I went to my local Jeep dealer and bought a new non remote key for $50 and paid $90 to have it programmed. (bummer) Since then I found a new remote key on Ebay for $75 and had it cut at a locksmith. I read in the owners manual on how to program a key and went through the sequence. After I install the second key the light on the dash is supposed to blink and it doesn't. I assume the key I had programmed at the dealer is not identical to the original. Also I found in my owners manual pouch a bag that the original keys came in when bought new and it has a sticker with some numbers on the bag. I went back to the dealership that programmed the key and told them about the bag and didn't want to even look at it. (they are very arrogant and unpleasant to deal with) Do the numbers on this bag have any way for the dealership to look up the correct key code? The remote key is nice because if we lock the car with the remote and unlock it at the drivers door with the regular key it sets off the alarm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
capitalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: 05 Liberty came with 1 key

Nope. My guess is that you either didn't get it into program mode or the dealer shut this option off (yes, they can do that). Are you sure that it went into program mode? The steps are as follows...

1. turn the ignition on (not started) with one of the old keys until the red light goes out.
2. insert 2nd old key and turn ignition on but wait 10 or so seconds until you hear another single ding and the red light starts to flash.
3. insert new key and turn the ignition on until the red light stops flashing and goes out.
4. turn off vehicle and wait 5 or more seconds then try to start the car with the new key.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
capitalv
AF Newbie

When I put the first key and turn to the on position the light in the dash turns on, I then install the second key and turn to the on position and after about 7 to 10 seconds the light turns on and will chime but does not blink. I think the key that was programmed at the dealership might not be a match to the original key. When I unlock the drivers door with the key it sets off the alarm.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
capitalv
AF Newbie

Well i went to the dealer today to check the key they programmed for me and insist if the key was programmed incorrectly the car would not start. They tried to program the key I purchased on e-bay with their key programming equipment and said the key won't program. When I got home I called another Jeep dealer and he said some vehicles have only four slots in the computer for programming keys and said they will have to erase the data in the computer and reprogram all of my keys again. Has anybody heard of this. Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Yes, I ran into this today doing a remote start on a '07 Pacifica. I could not get anything to program. So, the dealer erased all keys and started over and it took my bypass. You'll have to pay them to erase all the keys and do it over again or check to see if the BCM was locked as to not accept any new keys.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
speedrik
AF Newbie

Ran into the same thing with an 05 we got about 3 months ago. I went to the dealer and said it would be about $145 for a fully programed key, or around $45 for a key that would lock/unlock, but if you unlock the door with it, the alarm would go off until the car was started. I plan to save the $100 and hope it works when I get it.
speedrik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty