Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
ace91
AF Regular

yamaha yzr 500 '02 d'antin(norick)

hi guys,

i'm starting to build the yzr 500 '02 d'antin team norick's version. i'm starting on the engine & hopefully i can post the pic of the completed engine before going off to the capital to see the malaysian gp for the 2nd time for 2 straight years this thursday.

by the way, are there any good pictorial references besides the pit walk photo '02 book?

adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: yamaha yzr 500 '02 d'antin(norick)

You can find some good yzr pics on my web www.onetwelvth.com click Tips and then Reference in the left hand side.
Good luck with the build!
/JOEL
Old 09-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

i've just completed the frame & here are the pics in different angle.

here, i've looked through the pit walk photo '02 book to find out some details parts & i see that the green wire is placed where the oil pan is, i guess, as i don't have much basic knowledge on bikes.

as for the colour of the cowls, i'm not sure whether bright red is suitable or not since i see that the colour looks dull. so, when i see the www.onetwelvth.com site, i see that the cowls are redish orange. i'll get the flouroscent red in the capital before going to the m'sian gp this coming sun to see whether what i see is correct or not.

adrian
Old 09-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
ace91
AF Regular

since i'm back i'm thinking of showing the pics with the cowls in flouroscent red which seems to be striking but somehow there are some problem in the paint as it's the first time i'm in a messy situation on the paints. just now, after i painted the nose, bottom, side & tail cowls, i left them to be dried but what i didn't expect is after at least 20 mins(i think) still not dry yet. . now seems that it's the first time i'm gonna use the whole can just for one bike & this means i have to buy another can when i build the fortuna '05(have not gotten my hands on on the decals yet). hopefully the weather would get better tomorrow. weather has not been good lately.

by then, i hope the pics would be ready tomorrow.

adrian
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

I put down flat white first and it makes the painting go quicker and look brighter.

Looks good so far!

Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
ace91
AF Regular

thanks for the comment, mark. i'll look into the method u mentioned.

my mood has not been that good lately & i was quite angry when my paints were not dried yesterday. today, the weather is bad again as it keeps on raining every day & it's humid when it's not raining. looks like this weather would go on probably till november.

adrian
Old 09-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

Patience my friend. The right time will come

Dave
Old 09-15-2006, 06:13 AM   #8
ace91
AF Regular

at least today's weather was hot in the afternoon but i was working at that time. i thought maybe by the time i come home from work, the weather would be still the same as it is but somehow..... black clouds started to cover the sky.

at least i managed to prime & painted the cowls right before the rain comes down. here is the photo of the cowls.

i know that the cowls i've mentioned before are a little bit in a mess esp. the nose cowl as i tried to use tissue to clean & pieces of tissues were stucked on it. not sure if i would want to build another one for the better except it'll be pere riba's version yet. anyway, i got lots of time to think about it as i have lots of bike waiting for me to be built. but i think looks like i may have to get myself another glass shelf, hopefully bigger this time but i wouldn't know where am i gonna put it as my room don't have space anymore.

adrian
Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
ace91
AF Regular

i couldn't believe i'm having a bad start. firstly i can't find the spring for the swing arm despite turning my desk upside down. looks like i have to build on without the spring.

& worst of all, i thought that the fuel tank is all right after letting it dry for at least more than 2 hours i think but somehow i discovered only a small part where there's a thick layer of paint & the part of paint is gone. luckilly i wore a glove or else i'll have another messy fingers again. i'll paint that part again and let it dry tomorrow.

but whatever it is, i'm the type who don't stop on what i start. so, i'll continue to build even though the bike may not look good as i would have thought.

adrian
Old 09-18-2006, 02:16 AM   #10
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your trouble. If your having trouble with the drying time I would let it cure for at least a week before handling the parts. I don't know what you are using but as you say can I assume it's Tamiya TS. Shouldn't give you that sort of problems... If you didn't prime the parts that's a good idea for your next attempt (or if you decide to remove this paint job and start over)
Hang in there though!
/Joel
Old 09-18-2006, 02:22 AM   #11
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Try wrapping a piece of wire (or solder) around a screw with the right size diameter to replace the lost spring?

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #12
ace91
AF Regular

joel, what's the right way to start over the paint when i find the paint is not right?

rob, i've just tried what you suggested just now. it may not be that perfect as what tamiya provides but at least better than without it. this is the pic. thanks for the help.

now i'm motivated to continue on the bike despite the cowls paint is not what i would want with all of my finger prints & smudges. lately since this month, despite the hot sun shines brightly, it seems that the cold wind is surrounding the air rather than the warm air few months ago. probably that tells me that the paint would take longer time to dry.

adrian
Old 09-18-2006, 06:13 AM   #13
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace91
joel, what's the right way to start over the paint when i find the paint is not right?

adrian
Hi Adrian
I would say it depends on how bad it is. Orange peel could almost always be polished away, atleast on solid colors.

If you're working with colors that have a hard time covering angles and corners (e.g. red, yellow, blue that are a bit translucent) I would start off with a base coat of white primer and for blue and red perhaps even a base color of silver or gold!? Then try to spray the corners and troublesome areas first so they get covered. If you try to blow the whole thing at ones the paint most often runs away from the edges.

If you are stuck with a bad paint job, I would strip the parts with brake fluid, clean them carefully and start all over.... That's what I would do but of coarse it's a bit of work and you'll need a new can...
/Joel
Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #14
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

it's been a while since i posted some work pics. anyway, here is a pic of the work so far.

i've done all of the exhausts already before this was completed except for the tip. hopefully, more pics to come tomorrow & no distractions after my work in my bookshop.

adrian
Old 09-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #15
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

here are the pics of the completed bike in different angle.

i would be starting rgv-gamma movistar but somehow the weather is not good in the evening. i first thought i could paint today as the weather is so fine but i was at work when i look through the window. but somehow in the evening, black clouds cover the sky again. anyway i have primed the tyre rims today then i paint them tomorrow morning.

adrian

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes