Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #31
HiRez_L
AF Enthusiast

Use a multimeter to trace the wires, where the current stops between the switch and the motor is your problem.
HiRez_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #32
Si Integra
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Si Integra
Re: 96 T&C LXi windshield wipers gone wild

How can i trace any part other than where it reaches a terminal. IE, how can i trace a coated wire.
Is there an external multimeter? or are you saying to trace the terminal ends and if/where I find the breach, follow that wire back to the other good point and pin point it that way?
Si Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #33
tysons
AF Newbie

if i were you i would start at the motor and work my way back.
1. disconnect the wiper plug on the firewall and jump
power to brn/wht wire to see if the motor and ground are good.
2 . open relay box and test for ground from bcm (wiper switch has to be on for this to work)
3. test switch on the colom. easy to remove two screws and the plastic case is off, remove the plug and two screws and the switch is out . using a ohms meter test the switch, also test the ground in the harnest that plugs into the switch.
start there if you need more help i can help i spent 5 hours testing ,repairing . i can speed things along for you.
tysons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:02 AM   #34
Si Integra
AF Regular

Well, i have tested the multi-function switch. How would I test the ground on that harness?

Also, how would I test the ground to the bcm?

I am begining to thing it has something to do with a bad ground. If it were a short, the battery would drain; it doesn't.

I am going to remove the under hood relay box and look again for any ground wires out of place etc.

I don't mind to test the wires with the ohm meter, but I don't know what impedance to expect on what wires etc.
The haynes manual is nearly useless for me.

Also, when you say to jump power to the white/brown wires to check for good power/ground, I am not sure if that is to test the motors ability to perform or what?
It will perfrom, if I depress the washer button.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:21 PM   #35
tysons
AF Newbie

bcm sends grounds to turn relays on not power. power is all ready there, the reason they are not working is because of a ground problem. you said you changed the bcm and the switch.
i would check the ground that goes to the switch ,black wire in the harnest that the switch plugs into .unplug the switch ,find and test ground on black.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #36
Si Integra
AF Regular

Thats where I will start tomorrow morning. Thanks Tysons!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #37
Si Integra
AF Regular

well, i tested the ground on the switch and it works just fine, I also tested it on the harness to the wipers, also fine. I tore the battery tray and fenders off today and followed the damn wires inch for inch to check for any kinks/cuts/tears, etc. Nothing.

I am truly bafled. I do not know where to go from here. If you have some more suggestions, feel free to shime in. If it is taking me this much work and time, I can only imagine the bill the dealer will charge for going through all these steps as well.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #38
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

Well have you repaired your turn signals yet???? If not you can start at your turn signal flasher at your junction block under dash there is about 10-14 pins on the flasher part and fail often and for your wipers you need to check first of all switch part# must be 5012382aa part# is stamped on switch itself make sure you check because these are different from year to year then you must test your 12v and grounds under load in other words when testing for voltage you have to use your multimeter and wire a lamp of some kind that will draw about 1 amp or so.Now with your multimeter you test voltage and power this lamp or load at same time and check voltage voltage should stay close and also when checking your grounds just feed your aux or load lamp and ground your lamp on ground wire you want to test lamp should be full bright or you can still check with ohm meter with load on this really checks circuit under load and you would be amazed at how many problems are found this way and it's not hard to do and after you check part# and feeds and grounds this way and if nothing shows up repost i have all wiring diagrams at my fingertips
1thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #39
Si Integra
AF Regular

That sounds excellent. I will do that today and hopoe I get the results I am loking for. I have replaced the junction box and relays. I have seemed to remedy the wiper issue. Not sure how I did it, but I did. There was a plug behind the vacumm block on the battery tray that was not plugged in. (A 2 prong plug) After that and tracing wires for several hours, the wipers are perfect. Now I only have the turn signals to deal with.

Do you happen to have a "diagram" on how to test the flasher? When you say flasher, you are refering to the top right relay (the largest one) correct?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #40
tysons
AF Newbie

glad you found the problem with the wipers.
what a nightmare.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #41
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

well it depends if your van is equipped with daytime running lamps or not if equipped yes it's the bigger ractangular piece with 12 pins sticking out and if not it only has 9 pins comming out
Old 03-26-2005, 12:03 PM   #42
Si Integra
AF Regular

Well, I had replaced that relay 5-6 times in the past few weeks trying to resolve the issue. Nothing. Still no turn signals. The odd thing is this. Last night, I went to leave to go to the store and when i started the vehicle, that relay (flasher relay) started buzzying very loudly. I removed it and it stopped right away. I have no clue what it is and have replaced all the connecting parts. It was raining a bit when i started the vehicle and the buzzying occured. Any insight?
Old 03-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #43
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

Did you ever check how many terminals have 12v under load at flasher with flasher out looks like there should be at least 2 and one body ground this ground goes on a stud behind BCM on the floor under carpet and also check ignition switch
Old 03-26-2005, 11:23 PM   #44
Si Integra
AF Regular

Not sure how many have 12v. I do not know which should have the 12 volt?
What does the body ground connect to. (Obviously the floor, but where does the other section connect to? The BCM itself?)

How would I check the ignition switch without a diagram of what wire should have what voltage etc?

The body ground may be my issue, as I have had the bcm out several times as well as the fuse/power block and never found a body ground.
Can you be a little more specific on its location please?

Also, if you have any diagrams that would show voltage at each point and what wires should be ground and what wires should have what voltage I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 AM   #45
jankinnu
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to jankinnu

Hello!

I got my problem solved for a while ago. The fault was too simple: faulty relay for wipers. I just simply tried another relay and then bought new one and everything is working now
jankinnu is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager