Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Bolt on Parts
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
drakered6
AF Newbie

Question T3/T4 Ball Bearing Turbo

What would be the best ball bearing t3/t4 turbo for my 97 eclipse gst spyder? I want to do a ball bearing because im building this car for road courses and thats what people have recommended me to use. I just want to see if anyone could recommend a good size and brand and what not. Im a lil new to turbos so any help would be great. My goals are to get this car somewhere in between 400hp-500hp for road racing and time attack. No mods are done to the car, i know all of the fuel system will have to be upgraded to accommodate a bigger turbo and of course the intercooler and piping and such.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: T3/T4 Ball Bearing Turbo

For a turbo on road courses and such you want something that will put down some decent power, but have a pretty quick spool time. I would probably choose some kind of Holset (although not sure if they come in a BB version, but seems you should be able to swap out the center section for one). They provide some really good power with quicker spool times than your typical Garrett. Someone else should be able to have some more info, although not too many road course drivers here.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

I would personally stay away from T-style turbos. I would look into something with a standard mitsu flange. I havent checked out Forced Performance in a while but I think they make some great turbos in standard DSM style housings. Just a thought.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

I take that back. If your seriously looking for 500whp, your going to upgrade your manifold anyway. So yea, I go with Dave, you probably want to check out Holset.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

The GT3076 is popular for that power goal, max of 52 lbs/min. The smaller 3071 is also an option but I never saw the point in running that turbo. It used to be popular on EVOs for some strange reason.

You can get the 3076 in an FP bolt on housing as well, it would be the FP 3052. That compressor isn't too big for FP's bolt on housing at all, it works well up to a 3586, though I wouldn't go that big with it. I just like big turbine sides, which of course doesn't go well with a road race setup. 400 on pump gas should be doable but 500 will take race gas.

If you want a little more than the 3076/3052, and want something new and cool, FP has an HTA version of that turbo, which does 57 lbs/min with the same spool characteristics. Bolt on or T3. The FP HTA wheels are nice. This is probably a better choice if you're planning to run pump gas.

You can continue to go up the line, 3065/30-35r (~60 lbs/min), 3565/GT35R (65 lbs/min), 3582 HTA (~70 lbs/min), 3586 HTA (~75 lbs/min), and T4Z/67 HTA (80+ lbs/min), but they're probably too big for your goals. They will make big pump gas power easier, but may lag too much for road racing.
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
cantgo2fast
AF Regular

If you really want to go road racing, and your not a professional or aspiring professional and dont have tons of money to play with a Evo 316g or 20g will be more power than youll ever need. I took mine ~265WHP out to HPR in colorado and its PLENTY fast for an amateur. To put down that much power effectively on a road course your going to need HUGE tires and probably body mods to accommodate them. If you really want to go road race a nice set of wheels and tires should be your first purchase. The dunlop star specs are AMAZING. trust me youll be able to go faster around a track with those tires than with a big ass turbo

To answer you question I think the FP 3065 and 3052 are excellent choices and if your pockets are deep enough go for the HTA compressor
Evo3 16g @18psi/walbro190/Greddy type S Bov/Dejon Intake/Bushur 3in DP/Custom 3in catback exhaust/FIC 750s/innovateLC1 WBO2/DSMLINK v2.5/Axxis ultimate pads/Aeromotive AFPR/ETS FMIC/Tein SS coilovers/ACT 2600/6puck/ACT flywheel/

Enkei RPF1 (15.6lbs) with 245/17 Dunlop Star Specs

Wish list:
CAMS
cantgo2fast is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Bolt on Parts