Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
ianc
AF Newbie

Odd engine condition on '91 Grand Caravan

THis is my first post here, although I've owned the vehicle for two years. It's a Grand Caravan that was camperized by an outfit called Lulu Island Campers, one of the GTRV franchises until they gave up in 1996. Makes a great camper - we drove it all around the borders of North America last year. A couple of months ago my wife complained that "it felt like the transmission was slipping when I tried to go up the hill near our house". As the transmission was completely re-built soon after I bought the van, that didn't seem likely. Then it happened to me, but it's not the trans. The engine seemed to almost die for a few seconds, no power at all, then started running just fine. No problems for a month or so. Then last week, while I was away, my wife reported the same problem, "but this time there were loud noises from underneath, like someone was hitting the bottom of the van with an empty plastic milk jug." (Don't ask me how she knew what that would sound like.) Got home yesterday, did the key dance - Codes 1-2 and 5-5. No problem there. Runs fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
lord4scrye
AF Newbie

Ok

Check the fuel pump, did it with my mother's camper, feels like you lose gears....but that's what it turned out to me...may not be getting proper pressure to the grade...just a suggestion..
lord4scrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
ianc
AF Newbie

Running lean

Thanks for that. I just changed the plugs (glad I don't have to that very often) and they indicate a lean condition. Still in pretty good shape after 50,000 km, not burned but very white. In a carburetted engine I'd say the carbs were way too lean with plugs that colour, but I have no experience with these engines: do they typically have white insulators after that distance? If not, it may well indicate a fuel pump problem.
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager