Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Ophir
AF Newbie

Talking 1998 Caravan Alive Again! Flashing A/C light and Stalling - Fixed!

Read this - it's important.

I've read many threads here about the two problems I ran into and posted here yesterday:

1. Stalling during deceleration or after a few minutes of driving.
2. A/C and Flow lights flashing for 20-25 minutes after ignition.

So first thing's first. Although I am sure advertisements are not allowed in this forum, I just have to take a second and say thanks to Mike, Bob and the great people at "Brown Deer Sales" in Brown Deer, WI. I bought the 98DC from them and they had every right to refuse to handle the problem. Most other used car dealers probably would. But they did exactly the oposite: They took the car, gave me a FREE replacement, called me back a few hours later and fixed the DC. Kudos and hats-off to them!

So here's one possible solution to all the millions of DC drivers out there with stallers and flashing lights:

1. My car had an after-market alarm in it (from the previous owner. Who in their right mind would want to protect a 98DC V4 2.4L?). It seems the alarm was interfering with one of the sensors which may have been one of the causes for the stalls.

2. The A/C flashing lights and the stalls probably have something to do with the fact that when the A/C tries to kick in during idle or deceleration, the RPM doesn't increase, which causes the stall. The flashing lights are some sort of an advance warning for this problem.

I don't know how or what they did, but the car SEEMS and FEELS like a purring kitten (I hope I'm not jynxing myself). A pleasure to drive!

So if you've got the same problems and your mechanic is at the point of scratching his head in confusion, give these guys a call and ask Mike.

Good luck!
Ophir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
WFD411
AF Newbie

Thanks so much for your information. I also have a 98 DC with an aftermarket alarm system. We have had noting but problems over the past couple of years especially over the past couple of weeks. It got so bad the other day we removed the after market alarm which was a chore in itself. We now are left with the blinking light issue. By chance do you have the phone number for the folks at “Brown Deer Sales”?

Thanks
WFD411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
Ophir
AF Newbie

You can call Mike the manager at 414-365-1455, who by now is an expert on 98 DCs.
Ophir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
mprtech
AF Regular

Re: 1998 Caravan Alive Again!

The alarm was probably causeing the stall, but the flashing lights just meant that the heater control head needed to be calibrated most likely due to the battery going dead, or replacment. Not to be a smart butt, but its a I4 2.4L , i for inline.
mprtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1998 Caravan Alive Again!

Well, I am on the other side of the coin. I own an aftermarket company that specializes in alarms and remote starts. I never have heard of ANY alarm causing what you state. I mean, the only thing the aftermarket alarm is hooked up to is the starter wire, 12v source, and an ignition wire. The other wires pertain to the "triggers" so they would absolutly have nothing to do with the items you state. I would love to peek at the repair bill to see what they did. The most common problem with these vans is a faulty BCM. They only way this MIGHT have been the alarm is if the install was sloppy or wrong.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager