Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 09:17 PM   #1
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hermunn123
Car Careers

I will probably be going to a engineering school when the time comes. I am EXTREMELY interested in cars. I just want to know what kind of jobs are available in engineering(especially in cars). I am just wondering what engineers can do with cars. I know this question sounds dumb but bear with me. THANKS
hermunn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 07:13 PM   #2
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

come on...i know i'm an idiot but you can still reply.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:01 AM   #3
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Its not that your stupid, its just that nobody has read this that knows the answer. Have you tried a few colleges web sites? There are probably engineering courses at those you could get information on and see what kind of things are available.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:25 AM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Definitely not that you're stupid. I just read your post and would like to say a few things on it. If you're going to college, you have to know exactly what part of the automotive industry you want to effect.

As it pertains to engineering, I am an Aeronautical Engineer and have graduated in this field. I mainly studied in the design of aircraft. You choice is pretty much the same as mine except that yours applies to land vehicles. What exactly is it that you like? You can go into Automotive Design, Powerplant Design, Safety Design, etc. The list is pretty big. You just have to know what will make you happy and what interests you the most. If you're like me, you'd probably be better suited in Automotive design. Which would have to do with the shape of the car. But then again you could just take Auto Engineering in general and be involved in all aspects of the design of a vehicle.

So as you can see, there is no specific answer to your question. It really depends on what you interests are, specifically, then inquiring about which schools provide the best education in that field. What I would highly recommend to you is one very important factor. When choosing the school, pay very close attention to the Career Development Dept. Make sure that after you get your degree, the school is able to place you in the field of your choice. I got shafted pretty bad when I graduated and had to go to another school to learn something else, like computers, cuz I was to specified. Thus, the school didn't help me much in finding a job after I was done. So becareful with that. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2001, 12:07 PM   #5
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I have mainly been looking at Kettering(formerly GMI). I probably wouldn't do too good in Auto. Design because my artistic skills are jack. The part that would interest me the most would probably be the engine or the whole car itself.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:51 PM   #6
nuby
AF Newbie

my friend's dad designed engines for GM... he was a mechanical engineer
nuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:57 PM   #7
Psman32@af
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Psman32@af Send a message via Yahoo to Psman32@af
I going to University of Detroit Mercy, which is better for me, i was accepted at kettering, but they stress buisness almost more than they stress mechanical engineering, thats why I choose UDM. I also have a guarenteed co-op job with Ford from UDM. It depends on what you want to do as to where u go, Ford and UDM are really close, Kettering is not on very good terms with GM, but they do alot with teir 1 suppliers. I got job offers from two tier one suppliers and im not even in college yet!! Kettering also doesnt offer that many scholarship, UDM offers alot. I suggest looking into UDM as well.
P.S. you know you're going into the right field when you design a new steering system at 12:30 A.M.
Psman32@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 10:43 PM   #8
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

it seems kind of weird kettering not being on good terms with GM. it used to called GMI. well so far, i've only looked at Kettering, do you know any other good engineering colleges?? thanks for all the replies
Old 06-27-2001, 02:07 AM   #9
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
Yea, I'm interested in the same thing. I was thinking of going to a college close to here Oregon State University, and majoring in Automotive design, or Alternitive Fuels

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 10:39 AM   #10
dre
AF Enthusiast

This school is more design oriented, but someone will be interested. When I was in school, a professor said this was the one to go to to learn automotive design. He also said they have a good career office.

Art School in Pasadena

Go to Undergrad, then transportation design.
Check out the gallery, some wild concepts there. Also some familiar sponsor names: Kia, Aprilia, and Honda.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 05:09 PM   #11
Psman32@af
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Psman32@af Send a message via Yahoo to Psman32@af
University of Detroit Mercy, Lawernce Tech, Michigan State, University of Michigan, Michigan Tech. University are all good colleges.
Psman32@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 07:40 PM   #12
CraigFL
AF Regular

I'm a mechanical/electrical engineer (I studied both). I would say there is unlimited opportunities in the automotive field if you choose either of these disciplines. Within these there are many specialties which you will have to decide on before you graduate. Or you can just keep going to school like I did and add several specialties. Whatever decision about a specialty you do make, it probably won't fix your career anyway since a lot of engineers don't always end up in their specialty.

Within Mechanical Engineering is:

Thermodynamics -- typically engine design
Fluid Mechanics-- typically hydraulics(brakes & power steering)
Mechanical Design-- typically mechanism design(suspensions, etc)
Aerodynamics-- typically body design
Materials-- typically parts design(plastics & metals & composites)
Structural Design -- typically frame design

Of course Electrical engineering has its specialties too which for Automotive design would be:

Power Engineering -- 12V power systems
Component design -- relays, power modules, alternators
Systems -- Integration of computer systems into vehicles
Semiconductor&IC design -- Actual design of components for use in automobiles
Software - Programming/integration of vehicle systems

Whatever you decide, I can tell you from personal experience that it will help your career a lot if you can understand both mechanical and electrical systems. There always seems to be a shortage of people who can work with both and yet the integration of the mechanical and electrical systems is key to making a good vehicle. Anything you can do as an engineer to make that "handoff"/integration easier will be highly valued by the company that you work for. The next best thing to having both mechanical and electrical expertise is to have a wide range of expertise -- learn more specialties!

As a final note, learn about business too. A lot of engineers go into their new jobs believing that every decision will be an engineering one. A lot of decisions need to be made for business reasons too -- knowing this and understanding the business will help you do the best for your employer.

CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 02:05 PM   #13
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

hey thanks a lot guys, especially CraigFL, that helped a lot. thanks a bunch. one more question though. is there any way to take all of the different parts of mechanical engineering in one class or several classes?? same for electrical engineering. thanks again.
Old 08-04-2001, 12:01 AM   #14
IntegraR0064
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to IntegraR0064
Quote:
Originally posted by Psman32@af
University of Detroit Mercy, Lawernce Tech, Michigan State, University of Michigan, Michigan Tech. University are all good colleges.
Hey, what about penn state?!?!

I'm in mechanical engineering there...
2000 FBP Integra Type R #0064

IntegraR0064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 12:32 AM   #15
Hudson
Old Mod

For the automotive field, try University of Michigan, Kettering University, or Wayne State. For automotive design, it's the Art Center College of Design.

Most importantly, do VERY well...and get an internship with any car company.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical