Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:24 AM   #1
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

Mr2 in the winter?

Just wondering how they handle in the slush, ice, snow and rain. Did a forum search and found a few people's opinions, but would like to hear a few more. Is the skid controllable when it starts to happen usually? And how much snow can the stock ride height handle before it just spins the rear.

Also I'd like to know a good all weather tire that people use. I know sport tires are a good idea in the summer because they are more sticky, but in the winter I imagine those would just add to the problems and the cars poor manors.

Thanks guys
klohiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
wild willy
AF Newbie

I can tell you this..I have never driven it in the winter...But I did once years ago have a reason to attempt to back it out of the garage with snow on the ground.....I could not get out of the garage. As soon as the tires hit the snow...it just sat and spinned.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:40 AM   #3
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

i wont be storing mine in a garage :-/...least not until i get my own place
Old 07-31-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
typerico
AF Newbie

haha...goodluck!!! it's a bitch to drive. ALL RWD'S ARE!
typerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
turbo2nr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
Quote:
haha...goodluck!!! it's a bitch to drive. ALL RWD'S ARE!

my friend had 1 he couldn't use his car in the winter he refussed to drive it in the snow casue of the spinning out thing and he had near 300hp @ wheels so it was a real bitch..

Shift_BOOST
97 s14
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

I'm probly getting an N/A, but it will probly still be a handful in the winter I bet. Maybe I'll just keep my cavalier and use it as a winter car and for hauling friends around.

thanks for the help...
Old 08-04-2003, 08:24 AM   #7
bluetwo
AF Regular

repeat after me: SNOW TIRES

seriously, all you need are snow tires and self control. it's not the most forgiving car in the snow/ice, but it's quite driveable if you are cautious and have the proper equipment. i would avoid all-season tires. if you're going to see snow, it's best to have a separate dedicated set of wheels with snow tires.

i used blizzak lm-22's for 2 winters in chicago and they performed very well in the snow, better than most cars, i'd say.

remember that all-season tires are a compromise. ok in the dry, ok in the wet, better than summer tires in the snow... BUT, nowhere near the performance of summer tires in the dry or wet; and nowhere near the performance of winter tires in the snow/ice. if you must drive in the snow, i strongly urge you to get summer tires (regardless of what you drive).
Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM   #8
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

good plan...maybe I'll replace the rubber on the stock rims with winter tires and then get some TE37 rims for summer driving. Smaller width and size is better in the winter right? More weight over a smaller area will create more pressure...so I'm thinking the stock rims would actually perform better than the TE37's with snow tires (getting 17 inch or something probly...not too big...I hate the way really large rims look)

let alone it will cost less to get winter tires on the stock wheels
Old 11-12-2003, 11:11 AM   #9
BlackMR2T
AF Newbie

Ive had my MR2 Turbo out in the snow for 4 years now.... ALWAYS have snow tires on for the season and only a couple times have had trouble with the car, and even then I could blame snowplows!!! Ive used Blizzak MZ-01's (205 50/15's on ugly steel rims) My car is lowered about 1" from stock and as long as your careful about what you drive through youll be fine... most of the time I can fly along the highway in a storm at regular speed and laugh at the sport utes.... but then again I think im in a rally!!!!! But seriously, as long as your smooth and patient you shouldn't have problems. Before the snow flys though, due to clearance issues, make sure the plastic dust guards below the engine/transmition are secure and not hanging below the floor of the car, lost one of mine.... hard to keep a clean engine now.

BTW... snowy parking lots are a good place to learn to control the cars lightning quick oversteer!!!! Have fun!
BlackMR2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:30 PM   #10
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

hmmm...well with BlackMR2T's and bluetwo's opinion on how well the mr2 handles it is once again under consideration. I thought I was going to be stuck with my only good choice being the S14 240.

I've also been checking out both second and third gen RX7s, but even ignoring reliability I would want a third and the cost is a few thousand more than I can afford in most cases (my absolute max is 10k for the car...hoping to only spend about 3-6k on the car so I have a few thousand for repairs and mods). First gen mr2s car cool, but I don't like the styling much and they are so small that my ex-gf probly wouldn't ride with me :-/. Hopefully I can find a decent deal on a car I want by april since that's my deadline...from febuary until april I'll be looking for an s14 240, mk2 mr2, z32 300zx, 3rd gen rx7, mkIV supra, lotus esprit and a few other cars...I know both the supra and lotus will be impossible to get with my budget, but I can always dream right? haha

thanks for the replies...I was worried the mr2 was doomed in the winter and that I would have to have a winter car.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
timsmr2
AF Newbie

Re: Mr2 in the winter?

i would have to say that mr2s are very fun to drive in the snow as for being cautious it can be a little difficult mine is a daily driver and i drive 45 min in the snow to and from work the easiest solution are spider spikes very expensive but worth it there alot better then snow studded tires and there much easier to install then cables
timsmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: Mr2 in the winter?

If there's any room in that tiny frunk in the front, throw a 40-lb bag of sand on top of/next to the spare tire...might help with weight distribution and can help you get unstuck if you need extra traction.

As mentioned, a good set of dedicated winter tires (preferably on cheap steel wheels so your nice alloys don't get uined by the salt) should do you fine as long as you drive for the conditions.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S