Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 10:30 PM   #1
jhermiz
AF Regular

Speed

Hey all,

Just got a 2002 Yukon SLT...and boy is it a smooth ride. I came from originally driving a chevrolet camaro to a rugged Yukon . Boy what a difference. I like the speed for the size of the vehicle but without spending too much does anyone know any way to give it a little more pizzaz when it comes to hitting the pedal...(more speed). Im rolling 285 horses under this mean machine but Im wondering if we can "kick it up a notch?". Thanks
-Jon H.
jhermiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:32 PM   #2
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Re: Speed

Quote:
Originally posted by jhermiz
Hey all,

Just got a 2002 Yukon SLT...and boy is it a smooth ride. I came from originally driving a chevrolet camaro to a rugged Yukon . Boy what a difference. I like the speed for the size of the vehicle but without spending too much does anyone know any way to give it a little more pizzaz when it comes to hitting the pedal...(more speed). Im rolling 285 horses under this mean machine but Im wondering if we can "kick it up a notch?". Thanks
-Jon H.
By "more speed" do you mean a higher top speed? or just better acceleration and possibly a few more horses?

There are quite a few ways to bring a bit more ummph to your Yukon. Basically you first need to ask yourself 2 things.[list=1][*]What kind of performance gains am I looking for?[*]How much am I willing to shell out for some mods?[/list=1]

If you are just looking for a higher top-speed, that would probably require a re-programming of the ECU as I would expect that there is a fuel cutoff in the computer.

Let me know exactly what kind of gains and an approx price range you are willing to go for, and ill list a few mods for ya.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:23 PM   #3
jhermiz
AF Regular

Basically what I mean when I say "more speed" is not a higher top speed I think the Yukons top speed is like 108...but how many times am I really going to go 108 . What Im looking for is although it is pretty quick right now...maybe a little quicker...increased 0-60, more horsepower. Dont get me wrong this vehicle has guts...I just am into quick pickup upon take off I could care less about Top speed. Thanks
-Jon
jhermiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 12:12 PM   #4
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Quote:
Originally posted by jhermiz
I just am into quick pickup upon take off I could care less about Top speed. Thanks
-Jon
Ok cool. There are a few ways that you could increase your acceleration without dipping into the extreme

Opening up your intake and exhaust would be probably the easiest and cheapest way of getting a bit more from your Yukon.

I would suggest:

1. High-Flow Air Filter (Very little if any gain here, but quite cheap)

2. Cold Air Kit / Intake Kit. (I personally like the K&N FIPK Kits, I installed one on my fathers 96 Jimmy, and I did notice a slight improvement in accel, and a bit nicer sound too. They are incredibly easy to install.)

3. High-Flow Mufflers / Exhaust system. (These can be costly)

4. Headers for High-Flow Exhaust.

5. Last but not least, a re-programming of the computer.

I suggest researching some prices off the net, and finding out how much you could shell out, then decide what to get.

I personally would get a Cold Air Kit of some kind with a good washable cone filter and see if there is a noticible improvement there. If you still are looking for a bit more after that, then you might have to open up the wallet for some exhaust mods, or a re-programming.

Do a few web-searches for Cold Air Kits for Yukons and see what you come up with. If you need some help finding some stuff, or have more questions, im more than willing to help.

Later....
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
Troy Gutierrez
AF Newbie

1996 GMC suburban C2500

Just recently purchased a used 1996 GMC SUBURBAN C2500 7.4L, V8 has over 80.000 miles,looks and runs great. Need to know what to expect from the motor. What to replace, heard from a friend of mine that i may have to replace the ECU , a warranty item that is covered by the dealer.My question is the warranty useless after 100.000 miles?? any helpfull tips and suggestions would be most helpfull. :flash:
Troy Gutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 04:44 PM   #6
Meself88
AF Newbie

you said it was running great. Why would you replace the ECU if it is not acting up in any way? 7.4L, thats a 454 right?
Meself88 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon