Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
blight
AF Regular

Talking I have FINALLY chosen my motor after some research!

OK
1. YES i know it is not a vtech and it is a sohc and not a dohc
2. YES i know that in the long run that a b16a is a better motor to do up

But i still think i want to do it - i have chose the d16a6 motor out of an si civic or crx si. Why becasue it has low as heckj compression ratio and from arias (let me know if you all know of some one that makes lower compression forged pistons for cheaper) that brings it down to 8:4:1 compression.

Now i need to knwo what kind of hell i am getting myself into here. I am planning a t3 custom trubo setup. This motor is obd0 i believe. and that means i am lost with what kind of chip i am going to have with that ecu. If i know that i can know what kind of epprom i need and what kind of burner i need then finally i can get the laptop i need. I will also need to knwo if TURBO EDIT is the program i need and any recomended bin files for this edit. Who makes the best bang for the buck forged rods? do i really need them? Same thing for bearings. Does anyone make a decent rebuild kit? who makes the best bang for the buck intake and header for a turbo setup? If i am running a junkyard t3 turbo what kind of ic chould i be looking for and id there a specific t3 i should look for? How much does it cost usually to have these engines balenced and the head revalved? What size injectors will i need - will a walbro pump be ok? what kind of electornic boost controller do you recomend - wastegate - bov - FMU (i don't need one of these i know but i want one).

any info on what kind of problems i should look out for in building this motor?

And lastly thank you all for all your time and patience with me in these last few threads it has been helpful and benificial. Any help or feed back on these questions will be great for i am serious - and you all know as much as i do that this is a big on going process this motor will not get buitl over night the car will not be stripped in a day and so forth so please humor me in how long this is taking.
blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
civicHBsi91
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to civicHBsi91
Re: I have FINALLY chosen my motor after some research!

I dont think your ready for this unless your having someone else do it...I mean honestly you cant even spell vtec right and you said yourself you dont know what your getting yourself into...
Old 09-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
blight
AF Regular

Re: Re: I have FINALLY chosen my motor after some research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicHBsi91
I dont think your ready for this unless your having someone else do it...I mean honestly you cant even spell vtec right and you said yourself you dont know what your getting yourself into...
ok you are not helpfull and quite oblivious i have been having more and more difficulty typeing int he night and if you look at the rest of my post there are MANY incorrect spelled words - as my signifcant other would say "you can't spell to save your life" so before an asumtion based on that fact the i had misspelled vtec you have should look at the patterns of the way some one talks or types in my case to make that kind of decison so in the end post like yours should be deleted and ignored for all it is is a waste of time to read and or respond for either of us.

as for the turbo site thanks a bunch that's the kind of info i need your guys help for. (not the flaming idiocy i have seen other times in other forums)
Old 09-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
4G4D Store
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 4G4D Store Send a message via AIM to 4G4D Store Send a message via MSN to 4G4D Store Send a message via Yahoo to 4G4D Store

I'm doing the same setup. For a basic setup running around 7 lbs of boost you will need the following. Keep in mind this is a basic setup.

1-Turbo w/ stock wastegate
2-Intercooler piping
3-Small intercooler - a starion or stock eclipse or great
4-Blow off valve
5-HF or DX Exhaust manifold
6-Larger injectors - 440 or 450cc is recommended
7-turboedit with basic mod chip
8-misc oil and cooland lines with fittings
9-guages for air to fuel and boost
10-downpipe and air filter
11-metal head gasket and arp head studs

I may have missed something - but that should give your a rough idea of what need. Research research research is the best way to go. Ask people that have turbos what they have found to be the best and easiest ways to go. also check out www.homemadeturbo.com they specialize in these kind of things and you can buy all the parts you need from their classifieds section.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
blight
AF Regular

Re: Re: I have FINALLY chosen my motor after some research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
I registered but it never sent me the activation key through the email. I tried like two different emails. And i emailed the mod polio or whatever and he has yet to answer back. So as of now i can't even post to ask questions. So if you know of a way i can get in that would be greatful or let someone know over there.

to "4g4d" why would i want a "small" ic? So it will fit is all?
and why a hf or dx manifold i am going to be using the si motor right? does it somehow hook up to the turbo setup better or something? Recomend place to get cheap injectors at all? Same question for the mod chip, bov, turbo w/stockwastegate, gages (i prefer electronic ones), down pipe, arp head studs, and metal head gasket. So basically wher have YOU found all the cheapes vender to be?

And cool i was planning the same setup myself i have beem to homemadeturbo.com great site some of the answers i got where alittle how you say irritating in the way they had answered they sounded pissed off because i don't know what they know and i am asking....
Old 09-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #7
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

Blight...every dedicated turbo forum is like that...don't bother asking questions on turbod16...they won't answer...but i didn't do a search b4 i asked...i'd do a search up here b/c a lot of people have their turbo set-ups listed

if you want...you can use my account on turbod16...i only posted once...but got all the info i needed
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
civicHBsi91
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to civicHBsi91
Re: Re: Re: I have FINALLY chosen my motor after some research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blight
ok you are not helpfull and quite oblivious i have been having more and more difficulty typeing int he night and if you look at the rest of my post there are MANY incorrect spelled words - as my signifcant other would say "you can't spell to save your life" so before an asumtion based on that fact the i had misspelled vtec you have should look at the patterns of the way some one talks or types in my case to make that kind of decison so in the end post like yours should be deleted and ignored for all it is is a waste of time to read and or respond for either of us.

as for the turbo site thanks a bunch that's the kind of info i need your guys help for. (not the flaming idiocy i have seen other times in other forums)
I dont care about mispelled words but...spelling vtec, vtech tells me you have lack of knowledge about honda's and or cars in general...and seeing posts like this for years and people just bullshitting you get kinda tired of them...if your truly interested I would say read read read read read and learn before you try anything yourself for the sake of your wallet and car or pay someone else to do all the work for you.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
avw0516
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to avw0516 Send a message via Yahoo to avw0516
Hey, if you want to turbo it you probably want higher compression because it usually yeilds better results. My $0.02
avw0516 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee