Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Car Of The Year 2004
Ferrari F430 17 7.94%
Mitsubishi EVO MR 40 18.69%
Porsche Carrera GT 24 11.21%
C6 Chevrolet Corvette 26 12.15%
05 Ford Mustang 36 16.82%
C5 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 15 7.01%
Dodge Viper SRT-10 10 4.67%
05 Subaru STi 21 9.81%
Porsche 996 GT3RS 5 2.34%
Ford GT 20 9.35%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 03:01 AM   #16
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: Vote for the best car of 2004!!!

Quote:
And i remember that ZR1 engine it was basically a 350 with DOHC heads with about 400hp. One heck of an engine but if i remember corectly it was not very successfull. Why was that was it too expensive or was it unreliable?
As Polygon told me, "Lotus is known for their quality suspensions, not headers." The motor was fairly problematic, as was the 2.2L Turbo III designed by Lotus that was used in the Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo and Dodge Spirit R/T.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:18 AM   #17
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: Re: Vote for the best car of 2004!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
As Polygon told me, "Lotus is known for their quality suspensions, not headers." The motor was fairly problematic, as was the 2.2L Turbo III designed by Lotus that was used in the Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo and Dodge Spirit R/T.

yes I while I wa writing that i was remembering the problems the lotus heads had on the 2.2 chrysler common block. It seems they like to snap timing belts. But i wasn't sure how they did with the vette engine.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 12-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #18
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Vote for the best car of 2004!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
yes I while I wa writing that i was remembering the problems the lotus heads had on the 2.2 chrysler common block. It seems they like to snap timing belts. But i wasn't sure how they did with the vette engine.
The ZR1's engine (code named LT5) was a more expensive engine to produce as it incorporated the uses of forged steel rather then cast in the internals. It was also a heavy and bulky engine (it barely fit into a C4's engine bay) that had a complicated DOHC system.

At the time of the ZR1 Chevrolet simply didn’t have the facilities to build such a unique engine and so they had the engine constructed by Mercury Marine in Oklahoma. They could only produce a handful of engines a day, as it was a complicated engine to procure.

The chief of engineering at the time wanted to make all Corvettes have the LT5 engines but it was simply not possible as the inclusion of the ZR1 package increased the price of the car by almost double which would have priced them out of the market.
Initial demand of the car was high but soon tailed off. Still around 33,000 ZR1s had been made from 1991 to 1995, when the LS1 was proven to be a better engine and was earmarked for the C5 2 years later.
The Gen II and Gen III engines where made what they are now due to the jealousy of some of the Corvette engineers towards Lotus. When management decided that the next engine after the L98 would be designed by Lotus, the Corvette engine team thought, "Why didn’t they pick us? We can do it. Lets show them what were made of".

There are still a few ZR1s around and they are famous for being the best sounding Corvette ever built.

"I am ispeptic, phasmatic even compuntious to cause you such perry combobulations."
E. Blackadder 1827
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #19
SuperHighOutput
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
well I would not call the C6 as a complete improvement over the C5 Z06. It is certainly over the regular C5 but except for the interior it is not really superior over the Z06.

The Z06 virtually matches the C6 for power and it outhandles it even with the ZR1(did i get that name right) suspension package.
IMO the interior is worlds better in the C6 than in any C5 even the Z06. The new Z51 C6s match the Z06s (on the track) and it posted identical times at the Nring.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:33 PM   #20
M3FordBoy
AF Regular

I voted for the Ford GT what can I say i'm a Ford guy, but the F430 would of being my second choice then the '05 Mustang. The Ford GT and the F430 are great looking cars the GT is faster but the F430 is very well priced for a Ferrari and all the performance you get.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #21
IrocRacer029
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to IrocRacer029

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
The Carrera GT is the one for me.

It not only ticks every single box a hypercar should tick, but also doesn't score any less than a 9 in any of them imo.
I definitely agree although i would take any one of the cars we voted on but i think the porsche careera is my favorite. All the competitors are very worthy though
Old 12-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #22
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Re: Vote for the best car of 2004!!!

Quote:
Ferrari F430, what can i do I'm a huge tifoso.

FYI I've made the poll public so you could just click on the numbers and you'll see who vote for what.
I've been a bad unfaithful man, I voted for the Carrera GT

But then again, the Carrera GT is more or less perfect

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 12-20-2004, 09:56 PM   #23
G35XAndTrailBlazer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to G35XAndTrailBlazer

Everyones just gonna vote for the fastest, most expensive car. What ever happend to practicality and style? and performance. Not just raw power that are big attention getters. Just dont get it.

I really like the C6 Corvette and thats what i went with. Not some ugly Evo.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:00 AM   #24
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
I don't see how you guys can vote for just one car! This is very hard. From the list provided I first tried to narrow it down (as hard as it is) to just two cars. The Carrera GT, and the C6. Not only have these two pushed the envelope as well as the rest, I simply like them better! so . But in the end my decision was overtaken by my overwhelming passion and love of the Corvette. Nothing against the Carrera, but the Corvette is not only a great car that has always been great, but I can actually afford one!!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:36 AM   #25
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

from what i read, the mags said that the C6 is 75% of what the Z06 is.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:55 AM   #26
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
Everyones just gonna vote for the fastest, most expensive car. What ever happend to practicality and style? and performance. Not just raw power that are big attention getters. Just dont get it.
Agreed. I voted for the C6 Corvette because I'm looking forward to being able to actually afford one in 6-7 years. And the 2005 Mustang is a great car for the money that I could potentially buy right now (although not a V8). As cool as the Carrera GT and F430 are, it's hard to call them 'best cars' when they only cater to a very select group of people.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:05 PM   #27
4-THGENH24LUDE
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to 4-THGENH24LUDE

well i'd have to say the Mustang! it is just so much better and i am kinda tired of people sayin that the vette is better i mean c'mon no duh. chevy spends a shit load more money than ford did! i'll get a ford 351 and stick it in the stang, then tune the suspension and i will have a car ten times better, with prolly a little money left over! i know the last part had nothing to do with the thread but i just thought i wud say it. sorry if it pissed anyone off but thats my opinion and everyone has a right to there own!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #28
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-THGENH24LUDE
well i'd have to say the Mustang! it is just so much better and i am kinda tired of people sayin that the vette is better i mean c'mon no duh. chevy spends a shit load more money than ford did! i'll get a ford 351 and stick it in the stang, then tune the suspension and i will have a car ten times better, with prolly a little money left over! i know the last part had nothing to do with the thread but i just thought i wud say it. sorry if it pissed anyone off but thats my opinion and everyone has a right to there own!
And I have the right to laugh at the following:
Quote:
i'll get a ford 351 and stick it in the stang, then tune the suspension and i will have a car ten times better, with prolly a little money left over!
HA! HA! HA!
But to each his own right?

Quote:
well i'd have to say the Mustang! it is just so much better and i am kinda tired of people sayin that the vette is better i mean c'mon no duh. chevy spends a shit load more money than ford
A valid point. Chevy would spend more on its Vette as it is the performance flagship of the company.
Ford on the other hand uses the Mustang platform to cover a broader target audience. On one end there is the V6 Mustang for those who simply want a trendy 2 seater. And on the other is the Mustang Cobra for those who are more hardcore about performance.
Ford not only has the Mustang to worry about but also the Ford GT. It seems excusable to me that they don’t have a Corvette equivalent as they have offerings invested in the market above the Vette (Ford GT) and below (Mustang) so there’s no need really for Ford to make a move against the Vette.

About the C5 Corvette though, Chevy didn’t spend a great deal of money developing it. $250 million I believe was the total cost when the average spent by most companies was $750 million (Ford spent around $2 billion redesigning the Taurus). However I don’t know how much the C6 cost to develop.

"I am ispeptic, phasmatic even compuntious to cause you such perry combobulations."
E. Blackadder 1827
Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 AM   #29
GritMaster
AF Enthusiast

C6 Z06 is supposed to have a 427 (7 liter) powering it and putting out 500HP... Should be pretty sick... We'll see though.

And I gave the c6 my vote. the Mustang would have been my second choice, but... I just like the corvette more

If you'd like to pass out there's more info on the new z06
Down here vv
http://forum.thecarconnection.com/showthread.php?t=1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanstreetz
For about 700 dollars you can have about 80 horespower at the wheels and about 70 torque.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:08 AM   #30
chantelle_m
AF Newbie

I've had to go with the Evo, like it has been said before it is such an awesome car for the money, it will p*** all over the poor Subaru STI who for a long time have been trying to challenge the Mitsubishi Evo but just haven't really come close with performance or looks. the EVO rules for an affordable Road car.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons