Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
01_Celica_GT
AF Regular

Rouhg and low idle?

My '93 MX-3 has really low and rough idle and I was just wondering what could be wrong. It's a 4 cylinder but i'm not sure if its 1.6 or a 1.8 so any information would be helpful.

'93 Honda Civic EX
Injen CAI
Panther 18's 215/35/18
01_Celica_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3
Re: Rouhg and low idle?

The most common culprits are plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. It could be a hung open EGR valve (if your engine has one). Burnt valves, low compression and clogged injectors could also cause it.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
01_Celica_GT
AF Regular

how can i tell if i have an EGR valve? I have the 93 1.6 4 cylinder.

How can I tell if i have burnt valves without taking off the head? that would require to much work and how can i tell if i have low coompression?

'93 Honda Civic EX
Injen CAI
Panther 18's 215/35/18
Old 05-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3

You do have one, and a complex one at that. http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/14/46/b7/0900823d801446b7.jsp
This page has a diagram, and describes how to test, remove and install components. The best way to check for bent valves and low compression is to get your hands on a vacuum guage and hook it up to a vacuum port (full vacuum, not ported)on the intake. A good chiltons or an underhood sticker should give the locations. After installing the guage, start the vehicle and let the idle settle out. You should be getting at least 15 inches of vacuum at idle. I'd like to see at least 18(higher vacuum indicates good sealing valves and piston rings). If the vacuum needle wiggles back and forth quickly, you have a valve not sealing properly. Another way to check is to screw an air fitting into the spark plug hole, bring that cylinder to TDC, and put shop air into the cylinder. Make sure the shop is quiet and start listening for leaks. Pop the radiator cap and make sure you see no bubbles, as this indicates a leaking head gasket. Pull the dipstick and listen for air. this or listening at the pcv hole in the valve cover indicates leaking rings. Remove the air cleaner and open the throttle and listen for rushing air. This means there's a leaking intake valve. Last, put you ear up to the exhaust pipe and listen for air, this means there's a leaking exhaust valve. If you use a compression tester, you can isolate the low compression cylinders and test them with shop air. Make sure the cylinder being tested is at TDC(both valves closed). My fingers hurt..... This needs to be a "how-to"...
Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
01_Celica_GT
AF Regular

wow thats crazy. alright i'll look into that fo sure because its getting really rough to the point of it dying. alright thanks alot dude.

'93 Honda Civic EX
Injen CAI
Panther 18's 215/35/18

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-3