Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
19mike96
AF Newbie

Help! Heater Core Mystery!!!!

Greetings! The heater core died in my '96 SC 3.1. I tore everything apart to get it out, and now every parts store I go to sells me the incorrect part! The problem is the old core has 1/2 inch diameter outlets and the new one has one 1/2 inch outlet and one 5/8 inch outlet(it tapers down to 1/2inch tube). there is no way the 5/8 outlet will go thru the casing and the firewall! Also, the tubes look like they branch off the left making hose hookup next to impossible on the engine compartment side.(old tubes come straight out into engine bay) Even the gm dealer part has different sized tubes! ARRGGHH!!!!
Has anybody else run into this problem? Help!
19mike96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: Help! Heater Core Mystery!!!!

The AC-Delco part number is 15-60066 (GM#52470156) for your application. Here is a link to the AC-Delco picture of the part:

http://198.208.187.182/internet/View...umber=15-60066

I have never seen a GM vehicle with the same size inlet and outlet hoses, so that is odd. I've done a couple of these, and I believe the pipes can be rotated to ease installation and the larger pipe needs to be "convinced" to go through the firewall insulation (due to how it tapers down). They give you the new straps because the replacement may be slightly thicker than the OEM, necessitating new straps for mounting purposes.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva