Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
pjw73nh
AF Regular

95 TC Odd Digital odometer issue tenths

I am writing for a friend. He inherited a 95 TC from a deceased family member. It has (showing) on the odometer approx 65 k miles on it. It these miles on it as of early 2000. No telling how far it has been driven since as the original owner was ill during that time. It has a problem where the odometer will only advance the tenths digit on the odometer. No other mileage accrues on the odometers. The speedometer works fine...

Is there anything we can check to find out more on this issue? How would one go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks.

p.../NH
pjw73nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 TC Odd Digital odometer issue tenths

Electornic or Mechanical? Both types were used in 1995. Your title seems to refer to Electronic, if so there is a non-volitile memory that should be able to readout when connected to dealer test equipment.

The book says "if defective, replace" however, the non-volitile memory digitally handshakes with the installed cluster, if the cluster is swapped and not recognised an "S" will also appear.. he book is unclear if a replacement cluster accrues following the S or ??

They go on to say an authorized service center can correct the mileage displaying and remove the S if the actual mileage can be discovered.

I have seen Cluster refurbishing services where you remove your cluster, send it to them, they look it over and reply with a yes or no, and you pay to have it fixed. Not too expensive.. I found them on the web awhile back.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
pjw73nh
AF Regular

Thanks for the info Steven. Yes it is electronic. That is what I meant by "digital". I might add there are a couple of other weird issues with the electronics in this car as well. The display readout sometimes has random messages like "door ajar" or "drivers door ajar". Not sure of the others (if any). If I had to guess this particular error is with the door switch.

What is the job of taking the cluster out like? Self explanatory or is it a pretty in depth procedure? I presume we are talking about the "instrument" cluster?.. I have seen a reference to a "cluster" that sits on or near the transmission, but I am not fully aware of what that is.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Kitt1993
AF Regular

You have to drop the steering colum and take off the facial trim. Then there are a few screws that hold it into place. I would suggest going to the parts store and looking at the repair manual. It can tell you where all the screw and where to pry (pop) something out of place.

Search this forum for blend door removal, I post a step by step instruction on how to do that for a 95-97 Town Car. You dont have to go nearly as far as that project, but it will tell you all the steps of droping the column and facial trim.

Abe Lincoln, opcorn:

The President,

Lucky Number 5
Kitt1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
pjw73nh
AF Regular

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like more than "I" want to get into and more than "HE" wants to pay to have it fixed. I guess he's in a holding pattern for now. Thanks for all the help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
mileage , odometer , tenths
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car