Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
sog
AF Newbie

Question bleeding brakes on 97 sierra

I just replaced the rear brakes on my 1997 Sierra. I also replaced both rear wheel cylinders,since one was leaking. After reassembling,I tried to bleed the system but could not get any fluid out the rear bleeders and the brake warning light would not go off. I am sure there is some type of valve that needs to be reset. Just don't know where. I read in an earlier post that someone did basically the same thing I did and he disconnected the battery before attempting to bleed the system. Is this all that is necessary? Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!
sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
blabhern
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to blabhern
Re: bleeding brakes on 97 sierra

When you pulled the wheel cylinders, did you stop the brake fluid from flowing out of the brake lines? If not, you have a ton of air in the lines and it will take a while for it to come out. don't know how long you bled them.

I replaced mine about 2 months ago and used hemostats to pich the brake lines. I also filled the wheel cylinders before I installed them. It only took around 5-6 times of pumping the brakes to clear the air out.

good luck
blabhern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
sechracer
AF Newbie

I replaced the cylinders on my 97. Most times, just take the bleeder screws out of each side (one at a time) remove the cap on the master cylinder and let gravity do the rest.
sechracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
winterpeggmc
AF Newbie

Air

You got a lots of air in the lines. Try this take the master cylinder cap off, top it up, then take one bleeder screw off, pump the brake till you see a steady stream come out, close the bleeder and do the same to the other side. Then follow the Haynes or Chilton or whatever book is out ther about how to properly bleed ABS brake lines. This sounds like more work then needed,and a waste of time and fluid. But think of it this way clean fresh fluid in the rear lines. and the resevoir.
winterpeggmc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra