Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
wardxjc
AF Newbie

1999 astro wont start, multiple problems

I have 1999 Astro cargo van. I have had all kinds of problems. It started off by losing power. It would get to where it would hardly pull itself. Then the next day it would mabye run fine all day. Then it would gradually go back to no power until you could barley even go 20 - 30 mph down the road. I changed the egr valve hoping that would resolve it. When I went to test drive it, it died 3 times before I made it a mile. I noticed a security light in my dash flashing when it would die. While inspecting this I stumbled on to another problem. I was putting the cover on the fuse block under the hood while the engine was running, and the engine died. Every time I pushed down on the fuse block it died and if held down would not start. After messing with this for some time I cannot get the engine to start at all. I have checked all fuses and inspected all wiring and cannot find a short. Its cutting off power to the fuel pump relay and I cant figure out why. There is a green and white wire that goes straight to the pcm and is supposed to have 12v when you turn the key on and it has nothing. I Dont even know if I fixed the first problem. Any help would be appreciated
wardxjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: 1999 astro wont start, multiple problems

Under the fuse panel are some connectors that corrode. Unbolt the fuse panel and have a look underneath it. You'll probably see some wires with green fuzz growing on them.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
wardxjc
AF Newbie

I already have the fuse block off. All connections are clean. The main issue at this time is that there is a green wire that comes from the pcm to the fuel pump relay that has no power and I cant figure out why.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

The dark green with a white stripe wire comes from the PCM and goes to the fuel pump relay. It's the trigger wire and supplies battery voltage to the fuel pump relay. It should have battery voltage when the ignition is initially turned to the RUN position, (engine off) for 2 to 3 seconds and then show zero volts. In the CRANK position, it should show battery voltage continuously. Check it at the PCM for B+. (Black connector pin #1) If there is no voltage present, check the ECM1 20 amp fuse.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
wardxjc
AF Newbie

I checked the wire at the pcm. There is no power there.Ecm 1 fuse is good. I also change the ignition module. I got a computer from a junk yard. Not sure what else I can do. Any more suggestions?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Is there power on the green white strip wire at the PCM when the ignition is in the START position?

Does power remain for 2 to 3 seconds after you turn the ignition to the RUN position?

Have you found the problem with the fuse box?

The security light flashing in the dash may also be a clue... The ECM will shut off the fuel pump, (green white stripe wire) if the security system is not satisfied. Sounds like this could be a problem with the passlock system, and it might be related to the problem with the loose connection in the fuse box.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
wardxjc
AF Newbie

No, the green and white wire has no power at any time, not when you turn the key on or cranking. I dont think this van has a passlock system on it. I am not 100% sure though. It abviously has some sort of security, but I dont even know how to begin troubleshooting that. I cant find any short, bad connection, or blown fuses. If I could get power back to my fuel pump I could probably figure out the rest of it. I can jump the wires at the relay and the fuel pump will run(the red one and grey one) But it still wont run Im assuming the injecters are not turning on. Also someone told me that the security would not shut off the pump, only the injecters.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies