Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #46
fselldorff
AF Newbie

Re: F1 Owner on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Zyprexa
Just a quick question for Mr. Selldorff:

What's your SECOND favourite road car to drive?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
The TMS E46 race car.
fselldorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:14 PM   #47
TcarR
AF Regular

You should consider the BMW M3 CSL (if it's legal in the states). It is supposed to be one heck of a car, with a cracking engines. It would be like having your E46 race car on the road. Quick question if i may, do you have any other classics other than the McLarens, something like a mint E30 M3 evo? (3 F1s and an E30 evo, my idea of heaven )
TcarR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:15 PM   #48
fselldorff
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche
Mr. Selldorff,

I hate to add to the piling list of questions, but an opportunity like this dosen't often come along.

Do other motorists make daily driving difficult? I mean, if I saw a Mclaren on the road, I'm sure their would be a large part of me that would want to follow it, and seeing as the car isn't exactly inconspicuous I think other motorists may feel the same way. I suppose what I'm really asking is, do people get so drawn to the car on the road that it causes traffic problems/accidents?
There are three groups of drivers on the road: 1) those that don't know what it is and don't care; 2) those that think it's a ferrari or lamborghini or other exotic; 3) those that recognize it for what it is. Group 1 don't create any problems. Group 2 are a nuisance and disrespectful. Group 3 are generally a pleasure to deal with. They are polite, considerate and genuinely appreciate the opportunity to see a "real" one.

Regularly, when driving around town, someone going the other way sees me go by, puts on the brakes and makes a U-turn. They follow me all the way to my destination and then politely apologize for their intrusion and request the opportunity to look at the car more closely. I love talking to people who feel this passionate, often giving them a ride if i can spare the time.

When driving around, I'm not aware of any traffic problems or accidents that I've caused.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #49
fselldorff
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenvanthek
have you ever driven your cars on the limit on a track for a fast time? and if so, how much fuster was it then other established supercars?
a couple of years ago i put 007 on the track at NHIS for a few laps, but not at full speed. to track this car properly, you'd need slicks and ground effects at a minimum. remember, this was built as the perfect road car, it is not perfect for the track in road trim. i have not put the LM on the track, and won't. it's too valuable.

the GTR's would be fun to take around the track i'm sure. never done that.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #50
fselldorff
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcarR
You should consider the BMW M3 CSL (if it's legal in the states). It is supposed to be one heck of a car, with a cracking engines. It would be like having your E46 race car on the road. Quick question if i may, do you have any other classics other than the McLarens, something like a mint E30 M3 evo? (3 F1s and an E30 evo, my idea of heaven )
not really. it's been hard to get excited about any other car(s), already owning the best car ever built.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:38 PM   #51
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
You should consider the BMW M3 CSL (if it's legal in the states). It is supposed to be one heck of a car, with a cracking engines. It would be like having your E46 race car on the road.
its not legal over here

Quote:
do you have any other classics other than the McLarens, something like a mint E30 M3 evo?
there is only 1 e30 m3 evo in the us

Quote:
(3 F1s and an E30 evo, my idea of heaven )
YOU AND ME BOTH PAL!!
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:58 PM   #52
TcarR
AF Regular

Unlucky! The CSL is a cracker. Clarkson took it to the isle of man (where there are no speed limits) on sunday's top gear. It looked and sounded sensational and he loved it.

Only one E30 evo in the states? you guys are missing out. I love that car and i'm going to be find me a good 'un once i get sorted out.

Anyway, this is a McLaren F1 thread, so enough of that.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #53
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

i hope to find an e30 m3 evo for sale in the UK when i go so i can see it. it is my obcession. i have over 3000 e30 m3 pix
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #54
tvrfreak
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tvrfreak Send a message via Yahoo to tvrfreak
Mini magic,
there's numerous E30 M3 EVOs in the US. At least 15.

Last edited by tvrfreak; 11-05-2003 at 09:53 PM.
tvrfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:07 PM   #55
TcarR
AF Regular

chrisl, i recommend using www.autotrader.co.uk to search for an e30 m3 when your over in the UK.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:25 PM   #56
350Zyprexa
AF Newbie

Re: Re: F1 Owner on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by fselldorff
The TMS E46 race car.
Sorry, my fault, I was looking for a normal production car, street legal in the U.S.

Here's another question, if you have the time: "What don't you like about the F1 (there must be something) and what would you suggest as a remedy?"

Thanks again..
350Zyprexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:18 PM   #57
McLaren Mike
AF Regular

Mr Selldorf, I read you were a keen sailor, to how much extent?
Close friend of ours is Neville Crighton, he is also in the automotive industry (and owns the largest maxi-yaght in the world, Alfa Romeo)

And here is yet again, another question.
Did you have to partake in the McLaren test drive before ownership? If so, how did it go? Who was the instuctor?
Has anyone tried to steel or damage your car? If so result?

-How did you come across these forums?

Plus please post some more pics of your f1s, can you post a pic with all the compartments and doors open from a front on angle? (worth a try).

-Thanks again

-Mike
McLaren Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:11 AM   #58
NarutoRamen
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to NarutoRamen
I have another question Mr. Selldorff if you don't mind. It might seem childish but i'm pretty serious.

If I go to NY and decide to drive to Mass. Is there any way that you would allow me to look at your cars if I contacted you way before....It's a pretty dumb question...not like i'm going to come to NY anytime soon...but just wanted to ask since you're never going to sell the cars...may be next year.

Mr. Selldorff even if you decide to say no...please respond to this message...or pm me if you want.

Thanks again...

Raman B.
NarutoRamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:49 AM   #59
scoob
AF Newbie

Mr Selldorf, welcome to the board. It's great to see someone like yourself contributing.

I would be interested to know something of the history of your LM. There was a LM that did the UK Gumball Rally a few years ago. It was owned by an economist called David Morrison. There are some photos and info at http://www.racecar.co.uk/gumballrally/index.htm One theory that I've heard on here is that your LM is the same one that did the Gumball Rally. Do you know if that is true?

Thanks for any information.
scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:02 PM   #60
fselldorff
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: F1 Owner on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Zyprexa
Here's another question, if you have the time: "What don't you like about the F1 (there must be something) and what would you suggest as a remedy?"

Thanks again..
wow, that's a hard question.

-one obvious drawback is the price, I wish it were cheaper so more people could enjoy one.
-it takes a little practice getting in and out easily. as a result of sliding over the passenger seat, things get easily snagged and scratched.
-believe it or not, but the right side exterior mirror does not adjust far enough back to get a good view. I thought mine was broken and spoke to McLaren about it, but was told that it was working properly and was unfortunately not able to be fixed. a design flaw! i still can't believe that they would have produced it that way, but that's the story i got.
-my radar detector (V1) is useless from inside the car, too much carbon fibre is my guess. i've never been happy with externally mounted solutions because they are too low to the ground, so i have no protection.
-there is a steady drain on the battery(the security system checking to see if the doors are open i think), so if i don't keep it plugged into a trickle charger (which they have a special plug to make it easy to do), it dies within 2 weeks. I have had to replace the battery at least 6 times.
-i've been told that passengers' backs get pretty warm on extended trips, their seats are closer to the engine bay than the drivers'

that's it off the top of my head. good question.

Frank

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1