Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
TheEnhanser
AF Newbie

93 4.3 W 256k code 45 on long trips

Hi, My '93 4.3 W with 256k only gets a 45 code (rich exhaust) on the highway after a few hours of driving. The gas milage goes down to 18 or less from 20+. When I stop, even with no code, the engine idols very rough, has a strong exhaust smell and is hard to start. The thing is, after I arrive, it gets better. After a few days its back to 'normal', still idles a bit rough, but decent. No engine light when driving around town. The temp gauge stays around the '1/4' mark. The oil pressure gauge stays at "12 o'clock". I sometimes get blue smoke at startup but not always. Changed the air filter, PVC hose to air filter housing, distributor cap and rotor. The PVC valve, EGR valve and vacuum seem OK. No gas smell near the engine. Could it be the oxygen sensor? Can I clean it? I only have one in the exhaust pipe before the CAT. This van was made in Canada and it seems to like cold and damp weather best. I travel between New York City and Florida every other month, and the last time we made the trip, the engine light was on and off almost the whole way, mostly on. It would go off sometimes when we slowed down for an exit and stayed off for 15 minutes to an hour after we got back on the highway. I don't want to sink too much money into this vehicle but I do like my Astro and would like to keep it going.
TheEnhanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
567234ta
AF Newbie

Re: 93 4.3 W 256k code 45 on long trips

they are notorious for having egr problems, had a 96 4.3 that would run horrid because of it. had to clean it out alot. Eventually got a better flowing muffler and it solved the problem.
567234ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Earlyboomer
AF Newbie

Rich exhaust is a symptom of an Oxygen sensor going bad. The good part is that a new O2 sensor will pay for itself in gas milage. 256K miles is centainly enough miles for it to be its last legs. My experience, depending on conditions is they can be causing miles per gallon losses in as little as 25K miles but usually they can go twice that. Another point is that a good O2 sensor helps to keep the computer happy and the engine will run better. I just put a new O2 sensor in a Ford pick up and it made a big difference in how it runs. I am surprised how little you hear said about O2 sensors and its not a part that can live forever, considering the enviroment in which it works. (They are in the exhaust pipes before the catalytic converters.)

Last edited by Earlyboomer; 10-03-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typing errors, (brain is faster than fingers)
Earlyboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
TheEnhanser
AF Newbie

I changed the O2 sensor and the plugs. It took awhile, but the computer seems to be learning and the service light stays off.
TheEnhanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Earlyboomer
AF Newbie

Glad to hear my suggestion seems to be helping. Also with the type of long distance driving you do, the heads, combustion chambers, plugs etc. have a chance to really get up to operating temperature for a long time and this helps the engine run cleaner as far as carbon buildup is concerned.
Earlyboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Bushpilot1
AF Newbie

Run a can of seafoam through it twice a year & it will help the sensor & fuel system stay a lot cleaner & work better also. Mine has 345,000 on it & eats plug wires every 2 yrs. Is a good vehicle.
Bushpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
code_45 , idle , rough
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies