Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
nolaphoenix
AF Newbie

92 geo ignition

I have a 92 geo prizm that magically reappeared after friend borrowed it 3 years ago lost the keys and left it while I was in another state receiving cancer treatment. I just found it in a multi level parking garage after I found out that instead of junking like I asked friend to she drove it for two months lost the keys and left it. I need to remove it asap and the ignition has been messed with. Hubby and I tried to put it in neutral to roll it down the ramp and out of garage but of course you need a key to do that. I don't know what sort of part I am looking for. It looks like you could stick the key in it if I had it. I have been looking at car parts online and nothing looks like what I might need. Can anyone help me on what part I need or how I can disengage the steering wheel so it can be moved.
nolaphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
paganman7
AF Newbie

Re: 92 geo ignition

You can replace the key lock cylinder (it comes with 2 new keys). The key lock cylinder is the cylinder that connects the key to the ignition switch inside the cylinder.

After dismantling the steering column (if it isn't already), you press a small button on the bottom of the cylinder and pull the key lock out towards you. You may need to get the key lock in the "acc" position using a key. If you do not have the key, and it sounds like you don't, a dealer can turn the cylinder for you.
paganman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
AndrewG09
AF Newbie

If the one above doesn't work, I suggest calling AAA. They can do just about anything. And if you're an AAA Plus member, they'll do it for free.
AndrewG09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaphoenix
I have a 92 geo prizm that magically reappeared after friend borrowed it 3 years ago lost the keys and left it while I was in another state receiving cancer treatment. I just found it in a multi level parking garage after I found out that instead of junking like I asked friend to she drove it for two months lost the keys and left it. I need to remove it asap and the ignition has been messed with. Hubby and I tried to put it in neutral to roll it down the ramp and out of garage but of course you need a key to do that. I don't know what sort of part I am looking for. It looks like you could stick the key in it if I had it. I have been looking at car parts online and nothing looks like what I might need. Can anyone help me on what part I need or how I can disengage the steering wheel so it can be moved.
Welcome to your first post on AF.
Yes the key cylinder can be relaced but without the old key to place the old key cylinder in right position it is a pain to remove old one.
Sometimes the old cylinder will have to be drilled out to remove.
After you get it out you can even use a screwdriver to turn switch on and start it ot turn wheel and get out of park.
Find a freind that knows a little about them and he may be able to drill and pop out old cylinder.
The proper way to change it is to remove the steering wheel and release from inside.

Also somtimes the dealer can make a key from vin no.
And sometimes the key punch tag no will be in glove box if you are lucky.
MT

Good Luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion