Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose ?
Ferrari Modena 22 55.00%
Porsche 911 Turbo 11 27.50%
Honda NSX 7 17.50%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 01:41 PM   #61
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
i'm assuming it was aimed at myself, and i clarified my point in all my posts here...
Old 01-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #62
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefanel1
The 996 is very nice !
Maybe already said this but that's a 911 Carrera not a 911 Turbo

Old 01-29-2003, 03:05 PM   #63
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

thank you for backing my point...

that's what i've been arguing
Old 01-29-2003, 10:34 PM   #64
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay

To tackle your "if theyd put so much effort in a mid-engined design it would be so much better", youre basically saying Ferrari are inept, cos lets face it theyve been making mid-engined cars for a while now, which is the optimum design and their cars arent matching the inferior reae-engined Porsche design. Now that cant be right, why dont you just take your hat off to Porsche and admit to the fantastic job they have been doing?

Actualy Im comlimenting the Porsche enginers for the excellent job they have done. They have taken the worst possible chassis design and turned into the one of the worlds best handling cars. (and the only succefully mass produced super car), I do however have to question thier sanity.

At the same Im taking nothing away from the Ferrari enginers, they will be just as talanted and skilled as the Porshe enginers, but since they started with a better chassis design have had less work to do to achive similar results. (and you have to admit untill recently made signifcantly better handling cars). There is also the old story of Ferrari never paying much attention to the road cars, and spending the majority of time on the race cars, Im sure as a company they are passed that, but you have to wonder if prehaps some of the that company culture has survived.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:16 PM   #65
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie

Actualy Im comlimenting the Porsche enginers for the excellent job they have done. They have taken the worst possible chassis design and turned into the one of the worlds best handling cars. (and the only succefully mass produced super car), I do however have to question thier sanity.

At the same Im taking nothing away from the Ferrari enginers, they will be just as talanted and skilled as the Porshe enginers, but since they started with a better chassis design have had less work to do to achive similar results. (and you have to admit untill recently made signifcantly better handling cars). There is also the old story of Ferrari never paying much attention to the road cars, and spending the majority of time on the race cars, Im sure as a company they are passed that, but you have to wonder if prehaps some of the that company culture has survived.

hmmmmmm......I gotta say good point there- I think that since the Porsche engineers set thier goals so high and achieved them so well that it is obvious they are bloody smart and maybe a little insane which sort of runs into Ferrari as they indeed have much better chassis to work from and plenty of F1 experience- they do seem to concentrate on thier higher end models (575M and Enzo) a lot more than thier lesser models. We all know the story of the NSX's release chasing Ferrari designers back to the drawing board- this spawned the 348- which was more practical- but had much less soul than the 328.

crayzayjay- The 993 is somewhat more practical than the 964 and 930- I've found the 993/996 much easier to drive than the earlier ones- other people give me a similar opinion.

Just for the record I have driven all the current 996 Variants, a 360 Modena and had a rather brief stint in an NSX (1992 model with the 3.0 VTEC though )

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 01-30-2003, 01:24 AM   #66
Miltown_Racer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay

My god, the ignorance!!!!

The Modena has a 3.6L V8 that develops 400bhp. Thats over 100bhp per NORMALLY ASPIRATED litre!!! What is wrong with you?
with 400bhp and only runs in the 12.9's to 13.1's. The NSX-R runs 12.8-12.9 with only 290 HP and 224 TQ V6(Have u seen the Video of the NSX-R Vs. the Skyline R34? Shows the NSX-R's time in there.). The modena has 2 extra Cylinders and an extra 100+ HP compare to an NSX-R. HP/TQ only makes a car seem powerful. What really matters is when you bring it on the track. It's a shame that the NSX-R will edge out a 120,000 car.

Even a Corvette Z06 will edge out a Modena and it cost only about 55,000. I would like to see an NSX-R and a Corvette Z06 go at it. A better run i would say.

Modena= 120,000
NSX-R = 85,000
Z06 = 55,000

Really, what I'm trying to get through here is that with only 290 HP/224 TQ, the NSX-R can edge out a Modena and stay with a Z06. Don't bring in the weigh factor now because that's not the only thing that determines speed. Speed is also determined by the gearing, aerodynamic, height of car, suspension, tires, etc...

Excluding the NSX-R, I personally think the Z06 is the best bang for the buck. Got looks and speed for only 55,000? not bad..although i can't afford it.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:47 AM   #67
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by Miltown_Racer

with 400bhp and only runs in the 12.9's to 13.1's. The NSX-R runs 12.8-12.9 with only 290 HP and 224 TQ V6(Have u seen the Video of the NSX-R Vs. the Skyline R34? Shows the NSX-R's time in there.). The modena has 2 extra Cylinders and an extra 100+ HP compare to an NSX-R. HP/TQ only makes a car seem powerful. What really matters is when you bring it on the track. It's a shame that the NSX-R will edge out a 120,000 car.

Even a Corvette Z06 will edge out a Modena and it cost only about 55,000. I would like to see an NSX-R and a Corvette Z06 go at it. A better run i would say.

Modena= 120,000
NSX-R = 85,000
Z06 = 55,000

Really, what I'm trying to get through here is that with only 290 HP/224 TQ, the NSX-R can edge out a Modena and stay with a Z06. Don't bring in the weigh factor now because that's not the only thing that determines speed. Speed is also determined by the gearing, aerodynamic, height of car, suspension, tires, etc...

Excluding the NSX-R, I personally think the Z06 is the best bang for the buck. Got looks and speed for only 55,000? not bad..although i can't afford it.
It's all very well that the ZO6 has speed- but the handling is just simply not set up as well as the NSX or Modena- there is more to cars than going fast.

The NSX is indeed more aerodynamic than the Modena- But can the NSX outdo the Modena in the twisties- I myself have serious doubts- the Modena is superbly balanced and stabilised in corners- and the brakes are simply magic- meaning you can enter a corner at a reasonable speed and evit it quick smart without any fidgeting around trying to bring it into line. The NSX is also an able twisties performer- but it is simply not set up as well as the Modena IMHO

And I mean come on how could you turn down a 360 Modena when it makes such a harmious noise??? I mean words can not describe how beautiful the noise is as the 360 pushes itself effortlessly to the redline .....................Sorry I almost shorted the keyboard with my drool

Also we have to remember the 360 Modena is the only car here with character- it screams to you make me your bitch! It will occasionally slip up and do something wrong- but all the other time- it will give its best to please you as much as it can

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 01-30-2003, 02:18 AM   #68
Miltown_Racer
AF Regular

Jimster,
The Z06 has a very good handling too. Never drove one, but I'm sure it does. I know for a fact that the Modena has a very good handling too, but the power isn't all that for its price. I wouldn't be suprise if the NSX-R can also out do the Modena on a twisty track too. the reason why i said that is because it's quite lighter.

Everytime I see circuit races, I would never see a Modena. I saw a Ferrari F50 once, but that's a total different car compare to its little brother, the Modena. I usually always see NSX's, MKIV Supra's, Skylines, Z06's, Lamboghini's, Saleen S7, McLaren's, and some other cars. Starts to make me wonder why I've never seen a Modena.

Hmmm..when i find the skip pad g's, I'll post them up.

Forgot one more car that will out handle the Modena as in performance and price. Yep, the R34 Skyline V-spec. 1/4 mile= 12.8-12.9. It has about 290 HP/270 TQ? Not bad, huh? Cost roughly about 90,000.

So it all comes down to the cost and performance thing. Gotta balance it out. The cost and the name of the car doesn't make it superior to other cars below its price range.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:18 AM   #69
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Who the fuck gives a shit about 1/4 mile times when comparing these sorts of cars?
Thier not exactly set up for a short 400m sprint, thier set up to be driven a speeds far above anything you will reach in the 1/4 on roads that have these we things called corners in them.
And while the Z06 is a great handling car it does get rather left behind in this sort of company.

Watch what happens to your 12sec V8 or GTR when you get to speeds above 180kph, it begins to rapidly slow down, none of the cars listed above will even think about it, they just keep on going as if you were still acclerating away from 60kph.

Americans need to get over thier preocupation with the 1/4 mile.
It is a very meaningless test of a cars true performance.

And the First NSX made in reality about 300bhp.
The latest ones make closer to 350bhp, maybe more.
Its one of those things that thanks to the gentlmans agreement the real hp is quite a lot more than the quoted 280ps. (like the R34 GTR is actualy closer to 350+hp)
Old 01-30-2003, 03:59 AM   #70
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Jimster,
The Z06 has a very good handling too. Never drove one, but I'm sure it does. I know for a fact that the Modena has a very good handling too, but the power isn't all that for its price. I wouldn't be suprise if the NSX-R can also out do the Modena on a twisty track too. the reason why i said that is because it's quite lighter.

Forgot one more car that will out handle the Modena as in performance and price. Yep, the R34 Skyline V-spec. 1/4 mile= 12.8-12.9. It has about 290 HP/270 TQ? Not bad, huh? Cost roughly about 90,000.

Quote:

What really matters is when you bring it on the track. It's a shame that the NSX-R will edge out a 120,000 car.

ok "What really matters is when you bring it on the track. It's a shame that the NSX-R will edge out a 120,000 car.
" "i wouldn't be surprised f the NSX-R can also out do the Modena on a twisty track too"

ok you just contradicted yourself on that statement. So from now on if you are going to talk trash about the modena please bring Evidence. You have to prove that the zo6 is faster than the modena same for the nsx-r.

Also you never saw the modena race? Hmmmm...not waching too much racing are we? Let me see the modena is in GT races bu who ever heard of them(that was sarcasm BTW)

Oh another thing the R-34 beats the modena ok lack of evidence again....BTW also if you would know anything about the skyline you whould know that the numbers you posted are way underated ask any skyline guy in this thread and it will tell you that it has way more than 300Hp way above the 274. So stop posting rumors and bring hard facts from now on.

Sorry for the agressive tone but all your statements are based on nothing. I mean i love the modena but do you see me bringing facs like "i bet the modena would beat the Nsx-r on a track" no cuz i don't have the hard evidence to back it up.

So please stay to facts. State your favorite car and why you think is great but don't present opinion as facts.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 01-30-2003, 07:42 AM   #71
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
Quote:
Originally posted by flylwsi
i never said that. i have tons of top gear vids at home, and i've seen what he drives.

point out where i'm saying that i know more?

i have, and will keep on pointing out that this is about a porsche 996 turbo.

which has different suspension and drivetrain than the reg 996, so you can't stand by what someone said about the regular 996 if it's not the same car.

also, you are going by one statement from one person. that's his opinion.

other testers may not agree. do you see my point here?
well, it does no use to argue, we both may as well test drive a 996 turbo and see for ourselves what we think of the handling

what else can i say?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:47 AM   #72
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
Quote:
Jimster,
with cars of this calibre, i dont see the car being outdone

lets face it, when it comes down to racing, it is more driver than it is car
Old 01-30-2003, 12:48 PM   #73
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

agreed...

let's go drive em... i'm sure the dealer will let me . . .

moppie...

you mentioned 12 second gtrs running out of breathing room over 180kph...

i've got a video of skylines running to 300kph in pretty short amounts of time, and they all run pretty quick 1/4 times as well...

i'm sure that if you're going after 1/4 mile cars, then yes, they'll run out of steam, b/c the gearing is for the quick sprint, not the long haul.

the zo6 has a pretty high top end, and i'm sure it wouldn't hesitate to get there, not anymore than a ferrari or porsche. . .
Old 01-30-2003, 05:17 PM   #74
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:

What really matters is when you bring it on the track. It's a shame that the NSX-R will edge out a 120,000 car.

Now it makes sense... you're one of those drag racing people. ok, well let me tell you, drag man, i dont know how fast the Modena does the quarter mile in. i dont care. it's so unimportant i shouldnt be replying to this. And im sorry, but you dont know what "track" means. track doesnt mean a straight road. it means a twisty one... you know, the road kinda curves one side, then the other? Well, on this road, the Modena is faster than the NSX and takes a poo all over the sh*tty Z06. The NSX is an outstanding car. The Modena even more so. The Z06 is a good car but falls way short. sorry to burst your bubble, but Americans should really cane these cars around a track and then sum them up. Crap cars like the Z28 only sell in countries like America 'cos you guys have straight roads. If a European manufacturer released a car that looked or drove like the Z28 they would be laughed at and shamed for ever. It really is that bad. please dont see this as an anti america thing. actually the american manufacturers should be praised for the cheap prices at which you guys get your cars. but when it comes to making cars handle, the americans are at least a decade behind
Old 01-30-2003, 05:27 PM   #75
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

without him saying drag or road course...

it looks like he meant on a road course...

that's a personal preference though...

i'm not sure a z06 will kill a modena on a road course, but it would at least be close.

the nsx-r would... but this poll's not about one of those is it?